Fiddling with storage after Marshmallow, need help

Swordsman969

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
As with everyone else I recently got the Marshmallow update. Supposedly this was supposed to help be able to transfer more apps and images over to the SD card. I've been looking at the various options, but can't figure out how to set up the SD card (I have a 32GB card) as the primary storage for the phone, including for pictures I take. I'd like to move most of my apps over the the SD card, but many of them won't do it (I assume this is a problem of the app developers and not Verizon or Motorola). Anyone have tips on how to do this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As with everyone else I recently got the Marshmallow update. Supposedly this was supposed to help be able to transfer more apps and images over to the SD card.
More apps/fewer images.

I've been looking at the various options, but can't figure out how to set up the SD card (I have a 32GB card) as the primary storage for the phone, including for pictures I take. I'd like to move most of my apps over the the SD card, but many of them won't do it (I assume this is a problem of the app developers and not Verizon or Motorola).
If the card is adoptive storage (that was your choice when you set it up), the phone decides where, physically, to put apps. Logically it's just "storage". (You shouldn't be using adoptive storage unless your phone is 8GB internal storage or less.)

If it's portable storage, (almost all phones today should be set this way) you can "move" the same apps you could before - and a developer who knows that his phone won't run from the SD card will turn off that option. If's no good moving an app to the card if it won't run.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I just updated my Maxx 2 as well. Go to Settings>Storage & USB>Portable Storage>Touch the Cards Name. Now you should be at an Explorer type screen showing directories. Touch the three dots in the upper right hand corner and select settings. Mine has three options Eject, Format or Format as Internal. I think you're looking for Format as Internal. Obviously you need to back up your card prior to performing the format.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance