No notification light?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
First thread in the new forum!!! :) :) (other than the one that started the forum of course)

So with the new on screen notification system there isn't going to be a notification light?

Looking forward to this phone as a worthy successor to my RMHD.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So, if my app calls to the notification light, I wonder what happens...

It probably won't do anything unless the device is wired to redirect the feature. I get what your saying though. Only time will tell how this new feature works and if it'll be widely adopted as the standard.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It probably won't do anything unless the device is wired to redirect the feature. I get what your saying though. Only time will tell how this new feature works and if it'll be widely adopted as the standard.
Actually, it's entirely possible the OS will take a request to the notification light as grounds to put the app icon on the screen. That would actually be an extremely cool default behavior.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Actually, it's entirely possible the OS will take a request to the notification light as grounds to put the app icon on the screen. That would actually be an extremely cool default behavior.
Agreed -- Moto and Google should have already thought this out and in concept sounds pretty cool.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Ah yes. No notification light. So I guess the screen just flashes on and off. I'll be interested to see it in person.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, its awful NON-RGB AMOLED. Which means another GRAINY screen. Yuck.

They are doing the same thing that has existed since the Nexus S, it was called "No LED". Basically it lights up a icon on the screen instead of a LED.

I'd much rather have an LED and a IPS/SLCD screen.

0.png

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I used NoLED with my first android phone. Worked well enough. I think I prefer the LED though. Or at least maybe a choice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Ugh, I've been pretty excited to see these, but this is a huge turnoff for me. Multicolored LED is one of my favorite features for notifications. The screen doesn't help either.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The screen is at least an improvement over the RMHD right? I don't mind that screen so any improvement will be a bonus.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The screen is at least an improvement over the RMHD right? I don't mind that screen so any improvement will be a bonus.

For me it was grainy when the screen was dimmer. I didnt mind it until I used the Galaxy Note II and saw how much better a phone screen could be.

What exactly is the beef with the screen? I never had a RMHD. Just curious.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
For me it was grainy when the screen was dimmer. I didnt mind it until I used the Galaxy Note II and saw how much better a phone screen could be.
Exactly. The Note 2's display is much clearer, and it has LESS PPI than the RMHD(267ppi vs 312ppi). Now imagine the HTC One with uniform subpixels at 468ppi. :eek:

Motorola chose AMOLED, again, so they could provide this stupid feature. Sure, its more informative than a LED, but it also requires more battery power to do so...and a lower quality display. Ugh.

Motorola used a LCD display on the AT&T Atrix HD, and it was beautiful. I hoped that was the transition to LCD, I was wrong. :(

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. The Note 2's display is much clearer, and it has LESS PPI than the RMHD(267ppi vs 312ppi). Now imagine the HTC One with uniform subpixels at 468ppi. :eek:

Motorola chose AMOLED, again, so they could provide this stupid feature. Sure, its more informative than a LED, but it also requires more battery power to do so...and a lower quality display. Ugh.

Motorola used a LCD display on the AT&T Atrix HD, and it was beautiful. I hoped that was the transition to LCD, I was wrong. :(

Its almost as if us consumers can't get the best of both world. Want a big battery? Okay, here is a mediocre screen. Want a great screen? Okay, here is an average battery.

Is it to much to ask for a 3500 mah battery, vibrant screen, and a good build quality?

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Is it to much to ask for a 3500 mah battery, vibrant screen, and a good build quality?
:(

I was excited when I had the Atrix HD (LCD Motorola phone) and people were modding them to accept and fit, a RMHD 3300mah battery. Alas, AT&T didn't cut it and I was back to Verizon.

At this point, I want a HTC One+Mophie...but knowing me, I'll end up with a Droid MAXX...whining about the screen the entire time. :confused:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
:(

I was excited when I had the Atrix HD (LCD Motorola phone) and people were modding them to accept and fit, a RMHD 3300mah battery. Alas, AT&T didn't cut it and I was back to Verizon.

At this point, I want a HTC One+Mophie...but knowing me, I'll end up with a Droid MAXX...whining about the screen the entire time. :confused:

That may happen to me. I love my Note but the size is beginning to annoy me slightly. I would love to have the HTC One but I keep considering the battery. But then again if I switch from a Note I may actually miss the size.

Maybe I will wait until the Note III releases before making a decision. Why is buying new technology always so tough? Heck, I have had my car for a year (2012 Acura TSX) and I sort of want to trade it for the new Acura RDX. No idea why either... I always want new stuff. Haha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781