1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

Default Worth The Upgrade from Original Razr Maxx?

I have the original Motorola Droid Razr Maxx (before the HD Razr Maxx) came out. Is it worth it to upgrade to the new Droid Maxx? Big difference?

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Worth The Upgrade from Original Razr Maxx?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe378 View Post
    I have the original Motorola Droid Razr Maxx (before the HD Razr Maxx) came out. Is it worth it to upgrade to the new Droid Maxx? Big difference?
    I'd think it would definitely be worth the upgrade from that. I'm upgrading from the RMHD and think its worthy. The screen will be much improved over the original non HD.
    Thanked by:
    Joe378 

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

I personally see the new lineup as a step back in some ways from last years Droid lineup. I don't understand why they went away from SD Card and on-screen buttons. However the screen will be nicer and the camera should be better.

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by jpr196 View Post
    I personally see the new lineup as a step back in some ways from last years Droid lineup. I don't understand why they went away from SD Card and on-screen buttons. However the screen will be nicer and the camera should be better.
    I wish it had Micro SD, but on screen buttons are terrible. The use up valuable screen space and they have burn in issues, especially with AMOLED screens (my RMHD had bars on top and bottom from status bar and button bar). It's very noticeable when watching a video with light colors.

I think, on a device with limited screen space, having onscreen buttons is incredibly stupid. Its even worse on tablets. It looks so stupid to have 3 tiny buttons and a huge black bar across the bottom in landscape...ugh. Yuk!

"I think we should scroll more, what should we do with this bottom 10% of the screen?"
    "How about buttons."
    "Sounds good"
    "What about the bezel where buttons used to be?"
    "Logos!"

Pathetic.

No MicroSD slot, no sale. I'll upgrade my Razr to a Razr Maxx HD in a few weeks. Not happy with Motorola.

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
    I wish it had Micro SD, but on screen buttons are terrible. The use up valuable screen space and they have burn in issues, especially with AMOLED screens (my RMHD had bars on top and bottom from status bar and button bar). It's very noticeable when watching a video with light colors.

I think, on a device with limited screen space, having onscreen buttons is incredibly stupid. Its even worse on tablets. It looks so stupid to have 3 tiny buttons and a huge black bar across the bottom in landscape...ugh. Yuk!

"I think we should scroll more, what should we do with this bottom 10% of the screen?"
    "How about buttons."
    "Sounds good"
    "Logos!"

Pathetic.
    I definitely understand your perspective as I know there's a lot of mixed opinion about which is better. I guess I've just gotten used to them with my Maxx HD and Nexus 7. The problem is Android has been optimized to work with on-screen buttons since ICS and each OEM has their own method to deal with workarounds. I wish there was more conformity. I should be able to pick up a Samsung, HTC or Motorola device and not have to fumble around figuring out the navigation buttons.

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

^I agree, 100%. Personally, I preferred the 4 button capacitive touch button layout...back when all the manufacturers did was change the order.

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Len_A View Post
    No MicroSD slot, no sale. I'll upgrade my Razr to a Razr Maxx HD in a few weeks. Not happy with Motorola.
    Do you take your card out that much? I've pretty much never touched mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
    Do you take your card out that much? I've pretty much never touched mine.
    No, but I like to be able to pop it out if I get a new/replacement phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    No, but I like to be able to pop it out if I get a new/replacement phone.

I guess for the once a year I do that I just copy the files over to my computer and then back to the new phone. That way I'm also not carrying a bunch of app data over from apps I no longer use or have.

I guess for the once a year I do that I just copy the files over to my computer and then back to the new phone. That way I'm also not carrying a bunch of app data over from apps I no longer use or have.
    True, I don't get replacements at all really. I could go without an SD Card but the screen quality has me on the fence still. I must admit that battery may make it worth it though as long as the software doesn't lag the phone down. I don't mind "less" spec wise but any lag will force me away. The RAZR HD had this lag and I couldn't stand it.

Im in the same position .. I have the droid razr maxx and I got an upgrade in a few weeks. Im debating getting the droid Maxx but the no microsd card slot is a huge negative for me. I have a 64gb card with 50 gb of music...

Im really considering getting the Galaxy S4. Also battery isnt an issue with the S4 because its removable and they have a 7500 mah battery for it. Plus the S4 has a micro sd card slot.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Guerrero View Post
    Im in the same position .. I have the droid razr maxx and I got an upgrade in a few weeks. Im debating getting the droid Maxx but the no microsd card slot is a huge negative for me. I have a 64gb card with 50 gb of music...

Im really considering getting the Galaxy S4. Also battery isnt an issue with the S4 because its removable and they have a 7500 mah battery for it. Plus the S4 has a micro sd card slot.
    I dunno man, those batteries make the device HUGE. I've got one of the Hyperions on my GNex. I absolutely love it, and use it on road trips, but I hate the added thickness. That said, I'd probably get the ZeroLemon as well if I wasn't most likely upgrading in the next month. I'll give those guys props though because they're really not that much thicker than the Hyperion.

Quote Originally Posted by KWKSLVR View Post
    I dunno man, those batteries make the device HUGE. I've got one of the Hyperions on my GNex. I absolutely love it, and use it on road trips, but I hate the added thickness. That said, I'd probably get the ZeroLemon as well if I wasn't most likely upgrading in the next month. I'll give those guys props though because they're really not that much thicker than the Hyperion.
    True its definitely thicker. ZeroLemon also has a 3000 mah battery for the Galaxy S4 and you can use the original back for it. No added size. So if the battery life is good enough I might just get the 3000 mah battery.

What I've learned in my short time using a nexus 7 is that cloud services help a lot. Dropbox, google drive, etc. All my photos upload to those from my phone and I can view them on my nexus without a loss of quality. Sure its a pain to do that, but hey its fine with me. Granted it went effect me as I will probably be going away from Verizon because they have just been doing things that don't sit with me. The new upgrade policy, have to wait till March before my contract is up, when it was supposed to be done just in time for black Friday, and no more unlimited data. I sound picky but it is what it is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
    "How about buttons."
    "Sounds good"
    "Logos!"
    Haha! That's great. I hate on screen buttons too.

As to the original question, I definitely think it's worth it. I have the original RAZR, and it is showing its age. After the last upgrade it seems to have problems. I had to call 911 yesterday for an accident I witnessed. I pulled over, pulled the phone out of the car dock, and it proceeded to take forever to get out of dock mode. I was the first person on the scene, and by the time I reached 911, several other people had pulled over and placed their calls. There were no serious injuries, but it really made me think. If I had been the only one around and the passengers needed first aid, I would not have had time to wait on my phone to decide I could make a call. Fortunately, there were other people there, and the driver and passenger of the car were physically ok. So, I had time to stand there and hate my phone.

Also, It never remembers my app selections for viewing documents, and it just doesn't perform like it did new. I know, I probably could do a reset and get some performance back, but if I'm going to start over, I might as well start with a new phone. It used to be easy to reset my phone and start over, but now I do so much with my phone, it takes quite a while to get it set up the way I want it to be.

I really want the Maxx, but I'll have to see it next to a One and compare them to see if the display really matters. I never pull my MicroSD, and my current RAZR isn't even HD. So, the complaints about the display and fixed memory probably won't matter to me. Like I said, I'll have to compare it to a One. Camera doesn't matter to me. It's a point and shoot. Whatever it does is fine. I have a real camera for the stuff that matters.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by durango992007 View Post
    What I've learned in my short time using a nexus 7 is that cloud services help a lot. Dropbox, google drive, etc. All my photos upload to those from my phone and I can view them on my nexus without a loss of quality. Sure its a pain to do that, but hey its fine with me. Granted it went effect me as I will probably be going away from Verizon because they have just been doing things that don't sit with me. The new upgrade policy, have to wait till March before my contract is up, when it was supposed to be done just in time for black Friday, and no more unlimited data. I sound picky but it is what it is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app
    Annoying thing about the cloud stuff is that its slow to pull up. Even just simple text documents from my Google Drive take a bit. Not a long time, maybe 10-15 seconds, but not like if they were on the phone. I'd hate to have to pull up something large.

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Annoying thing about the cloud stuff is that its slow to pull up. Even just simple text documents from my Google Drive take a bit. Not a long time, maybe 10-15 seconds, but not like if they were on the phone. I'd hate to have to pull up something large.
    I hate everything about storing on 'the Cloud' except ease of access across devices.

Something about my content being stored in someone else's computer doesn't sit right.