Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot

Len_A

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
No MicroSD card slot? Very disappointing and a none starter for me if it's true. Sorry, but 32 GB isn't enough. No sale.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Cool story, bro.

Seeing how every SDcard I've ever had, from Blackberries to Androids, eventually ends up causing lag issues and just gets corrupted anyway, I couldn't care less about not having one. I'd take 32GB's on board over 16GB's + SD any day.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I definitely like having 32GB onboard in my S4 but like having a FAST SD card as well. I think as long as you're using something as fast as Sandisk Ultra you shouldn't see too
much lag but I different phones perform differently in this regard.

Sent from my Element Eclipsed S4

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
While it is true that on board storage is faster, I just like the convenience of an SD card. Although this weekend I dropped my phone and the SD card got knocked loose.

I had to reboot my phone for the music app to read the card. Don't have to worry about that with no SD card

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app

Nelson Guerrero

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I dont think these droid lines are going to do well without the SD card slot.

If these phones are aiming for the "average" consumer....it wouldn't work because the average consumer would easily go for the galaxy s4. Its alot more popular and everybody has one.

Then theres consumer thats more into technology that likes having options. They would be the ones buying this phone. But since they are taking out the sd card slot they are losing them too. So really these Droid phones coming out are setting up for failure.

I really wanted this Droid Maxx especially coming from the Droid Razr Maxx. But I also got a 64gb sd card so that basically crosses out the Droid Maxx out of my list.

And im leaning towards the Galaxy S4 especially since I can switch the battery to a bigger one and have an sd card slot and top specs...

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Based on that logic, the iPhone, with it's lack of SD card, would be a miserable failure. My girlfriend is the average consumer. Her first smartphone was her current iPhone 4s (16GB model). She uses about a third of the space. My dad is an average user. His Nexus 7 (32GB model) has about 15 apps on it I installed from the Play Store. He uses it to browse the internet and play on Google Sky.

The average user doesn't feel compelled to have 60GB's of music, movies and games. Everyone's mileage varies, but to say the average user won't buy something because of no expansion slot isn't true. If the average consumer wanted removable batteries and card slots, manufacturer's wouldn't be abandoning ship on both. Don't get wrong. I want space too and couldn't live with 16GB's either but I also ADB my SDcard to my laptop monthly and delete what I'm not using.

Nelson Guerrero

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Based on that logic, the iPhone, with it's lack of SD card, would be a miserable failure. My girlfriend is the average consumer. Her first smartphone was her current iPhone 4s (16GB model). She uses about a third of the space. My dad is an average user. His Nexus 7 (32GB model) has about 15 apps on it I installed from the Play Store. He uses it to browse the internet and play on Google Sky.

The average user doesn't feel compelled to have 60GB's of music, movies and games. Everyone's mileage varies, but to say the average user won't buy something because of no expansion slot isn't true. If the average consumer wanted removable batteries and card slots, manufacturer's wouldn't be abandoning ship on both. Don't get wrong. I want space too and couldn't live with 16GB's either but I also ADB my SDcard to my laptop monthly and delete what I'm not using.

thats what im saying though. The average consumer doesnt care about an sd card slot. They rather have what's more popular and what everybody has aka an Iphone or a Galaxy S...

so for the most part the Droid Maxx would be for people like me. That care about an SD slot and care about battery size. but they took that out... so now i got to look at different options.

the average consumer is not going to go to the store and get a Droid Maxx for 300 dollars when they can get an iphone 5 or Galaxy S4 for 200 or less.

Which is why I dont this Droid line will do well. The droid Mini is probably gonna be the only one that does okay since its only 100 bucks.. The Ultra is going up against the Galaxy S4 and Iphone 5 as far as price so I think it wont do to good. Same with the Maxx.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
thats what im saying though. The average consumer doesnt care about an sd card slot. They rather have what's more popular and what everybody has aka an Iphone or a Galaxy S...

so for the most part the Droid Maxx would be for people like me. That care about an SD slot and care about battery size. but they took that out... so now i got to look at different options.

the average consumer is not going to go to the store and get a Droid Maxx for 300 dollars when they can get an iphone 5 or Galaxy S4 for 200 or less.

Which is why I dont this Droid line will do well. The droid Mini is probably gonna be the only one that does okay since its only 100 bucks.. The Ultra is going up against the Galaxy S4 and Iphone 5 as far as price so I think it wont do to good. Same with the Maxx.

Careful. The Galaxy S line has an SD slot. That must mean everyone wants an SD slot.

:)

Posted via Android Central App

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
True, but I think battery life will draw some people in. The biggest issue my female has with her iPhone is the battery life. Apple geeks will talk like battery life is amazing. The battery life on her 4S is on par with my GNex. I grabbed it one night at the local mall when I left my phone in the car and played around with it for about half an hour looking up restaurant reviews on Urban Spoon. GPS on, screen on roughly 50% for 30 minutes.... it lost 30%. That's utterly abysmal. Bear in mind, that's on VZW 3G as well.

If I end up selecting a phone with an internal battery, then it HAS to last the day or at least be reasonable. If it can't go 20 hours with 2 or 3 hours of on screen time, then it's not worth it me, personally.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus. I bought it in spite of its lack of SD slot, my first smartphone without it. I bought the 32 gig model. Now, after 18 months I only have 7 gig available. I may not have as much music as some but I do have 10 movies. Since the Maxx comes with 32 gig I think I can live with it. I am not bothered by the resolution. On televisions the experts say you at the 32 inch size you cannot tell the difference between 1080 and 720 resolution. I realize the phone is a lot closer than a TV but I think if I have to hold two phones side by side and peer closely to tell the difference it does not matter. YMMV

Jade Green

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It is actually impossible to tell the difference at this size even considering how close to your face it is. People saying it needs 1080p are high.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
No SD card slot doesn't bother me one bit. Data connected phone = almost always connected to the cloud, so I feel little need to store huge libraries of information on my phone. I am glad to have more than the 16gb, but doubt I'll get even close to filling up the whole 32.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
With the way I manage my music (Pin from the cloud with Play Music) my only option is to store the music on internal memory. The SD card will do me no good any way.

If there is no obvious issues with the Maxx I will have one in a few weeks after the real world user reviews are in.

silverback

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, considering there are apps for skydrive, google drive, and probably several other usable cloud storage type things, I really don't see the need for expansive SD cards much anymore. Unless you are smuggling sensitive government documents to sell to wikileaks, then yeah, you probably need something else. Then, that's probably what gives you the gall to sign up just to start a thread complaining about a phone you'll never use. Probably ought to whine about having sex too, because you'll probably never do that either.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, considering there are apps for skydrive, google drive, and probably several other usable cloud storage type things, I really don't see the need for expansive SD cards much anymore. Unless you are smuggling sensitive government documents to sell to wikileaks, then yeah, you probably need something else. Then, that's probably what gives you the gall to sign up just to start a thread complaining about a phone you'll never use. Probably ought to whine about having sex too, because you'll probably never do that either.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

It depends on an individuals' usage. For example, if you really want to listen to music through your phone, but can't afford much of a data plan, and don't have access to WIFI, it may be nice to be able to swap around some tunes from time to time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon