Upgrade and keep unlimited data?

Tagged

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
So I have the Galaxy Nexus, which I still love but it is starting to feel aged. I havenot yet switched to the share everything family plan and really do not want to as 2 of my 5 lines have unlimited data. How can I upgrade my line (main plan line) and keep my unlimited data? Do I have any options with Big Red?

Thanks all!

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Purchase outright or upgrade another line or add a new line. Just wait 2 months and pick one up on Craigslist or eBay for $400.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe that I'm going to pay $700 for the Maxx. That's crazy expensive, but at least i get to keep my unlimited data.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Definitely wait man. Not to mention that waiting a couple months will give you time to read reviews and decide if it's really a device you want.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Definitely wait man. Not to mention that waiting a couple months will give you time to read reviews and decide if it's really a device you want.

This! I learned my lesson from my release day Bionic purchase. Don't let the hype get you, and wait for the device to be out a month or 2 before you jump. That way you will really know if its worth it or not. !@##@! damn Bionic....!!@#@!#

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
This! I learned my lesson from my release day Bionic purchase. Don't let the hype get you, and wait for the device to be out a month or 2 before you jump. That way you will really know if its worth it or not. !@##@! damn Bionic....!!@#@!#

You sound like the other "Goober" in line, I was first..... !@%%#%!%!### Bionic!!!!!!!
Noisy headphones output. They allowed me to buy a Razr at a discounted price and I kept the Bionic. My wife loves the Bionic.(?) It takes all kinds.......

kach474

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Definitely wait man. Don't let Verizon steal away your unlimited. Don't listen to their lies either. Buy a phone out right and keep your unlimited. Couple of my coworkers got boned by VZ they told them the only way to get a 4G phone was to lose their unlimited. Nooooooo. Arg I get so irritated with VZ.

Posted via Android Central App

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I have an unlimited line and a limited line. According to the website, I can transfer my unlimited upgrade to my limited line. I asked if this would effect my unlimited plan and was told no. I don't actually use the other line anymore. I was waiting on it to end contract and drop it. Now it looks like I can keep it with a dumb phone and transfer my upgrade to it every 12 months, since I will be alternating upgrades. I wonder how long Verizon will let that happen. I usually find that I'm ready to upgrade between 12 and 18 months.

kckadow

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I have an unlimited line and a limited line. According to the website, I can transfer my unlimited upgrade to my limited line. I asked if this would effect my unlimited plan and was told no. I don't actually use the other line anymore. I was waiting on it to end contract and drop it. Now it looks like I can keep it with a dumb phone and transfer my upgrade to it every 12 months, since I will be alternating upgrades. I wonder how long Verizon will let that happen. I usually find that I'm ready to upgrade between 12 and 18 months.

I'm going to do the same thing. Trying to find out if I can do the Wirefly deal on top of this. Also, I have a 20-month upgrade, not a full 24-month upgrade. I tried to buy a phone from Costco Dec 2011 and Verizon denied me...said 20-month upgrades had to be done with Verizon only. Good Thread on this, but haven't seen anything about Wirefly on it...http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/227608-instruction-how-keep-unlimited-data-verizon.html

Update: Wirefly requires you to keep your new phone activated on the upgraded line for 181 days....

INSTANT SAVINGS DISCOUNTS
Wirefly promises you savings in the form of instant discounts with no rebates or gimmicks when you sign up for wireless carrier service on a 2 year agreement. We are able to offer these great discounts because we get paid by the wireless carrier for having helped them get (or retain) a good customer. Delivering on this promise means that you must agree to maintain your agreement for a minimum of 181 days after activation. If we are notified by the carrier that they are not going to pay us because your phone has been deactivated during this period, then this may lead to additional charges.

To provide you with significant savings vs. buying in a retail store, the price you paid for your device includes an Instant Savings Discount from Wirefly.

By accepting this Instant Savings Discount, you agree to repay $200 of this discount ($400 for smartphones, tablets, and netbooks) and authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of this amount if, you signed up for a 2 year agreement and during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, your wireless carrier notifies us that the services you purchased have been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, or if you return your purchase outside of the return and exchange provisions of our Satisfaction Guarantee.

Other than simply deactivating a line we?ve activated, your wireless carrier could notify us that you deactivated if:

You fail to pay the carrier in accordance with their terms and conditions
You transfer equipment we activate on one line to another carrier line, even within the same account
You activate this equipment on a new line of service with your current carrier and use it to replace an existing line by deactivating the existing line.

Last edited:

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I just called Wirefly and confirmed the above is true. If you activate your new Maxx on another line and transfer that phone to your line prior to 181 days, even if the line is on the same account, you are in breech of contract with them and they will bill you $400 once they are notified by Verizon Wireless.

Translation, don't do it. We will be paying $100 more to get it from Verizon.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

I too jumped on the Bionic only to learn a month or so later that the Razr line was released and the Bionic was ancient history. That shoved me into the IDevice fold - interesting place. But I like Moto because they are US, even if parts and assembly aren't (don't know). Also, I'm feeling the Apple world is falling behind in capabilities. Certainly true in customization. So, I have to catch up on the Android world to know for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38