Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By tdizzel
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Pen Tile display?

this cnet interview with a Motorola engineer confirms that the Moto X does not have a pen tile display.

does anyone know if the maxx will have the same rgb display?

Default Re: Pen Tile display?

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin119 View Post
    this cnet interview with a Motorola engineer confirms that the Moto X does not have a pen tile display.

thanks for the article.
    the display specs of not only the moto x but also the droid line confuses me.

some places state that it uses the Super AMOLED technology which is not pentile but not true RGB either. BUT
    in the article, Arshad says "We are using a true RGB pattern custom display that gives true color reproduction without wasting battery life."
    now he says he's a true RGB pattern but says "custom display" which could either mean a TRUE RGB pattern or the semi RGB pattern which uses the diamond shape which really isn't true RGB but isn't pentile either.

at this point, i'm hoping for a true TRUE RGB but wouldn't be surprised if it used the diamon pattern.

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

I'm hoping it will be RGB AMOLED just like the Moto X. 720 is hard enough. PenTile insures I won't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin119 View Post

I read somewhere that the Ultra, Maxx and X all have the same screen, just that the X is slightly smaller. I cannot put my hands on the link. Will post it later if I find it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by byitb View Post
    thanks for the article.
    the display specs of not only the moto x but also the droid line confuses me.

some places state that it uses the Super AMOLED technology which is not pentile but not true RGB either. BUT
    in the article, Arshad says "We are using a true RGB pattern custom display that gives true color reproduction without wasting battery life."
    now he says he's a true RGB pattern but says "custom display" which could either mean a TRUE RGB pattern or the semi RGB pattern which uses the diamond shape which really isn't true RGB but isn't pentile either.

at this point, i'm hoping for a true TRUE RGB but wouldn't be surprised if it used the diamon pattern.
    i would prefer true rgb too, but either way its gotta be better than pen tile.

it's well known now that it's true rgb because each pixel has 3 subpixels (red, gree, blue). It's not a diamond pattern (i think that's the pentile on the S4). But it's not arranged with equal sized subpixels. The blue subpixel is bigger because it burns out quicker otherwise by nature of oled. I think it's the best possible oled subpixel arrangement.

I hope its not pentile. I had a phone once that was pen tile. I loved the display on it for months, then I found out it was pen tile, and it immediately became unusable.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker

Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    I hope its not pentile. I had a phone once that was pen tile. I loved the display on it for months, then I found out it was pen tile, and it immediately became unusable.
    That happened to me! Knowing isn't half the battle it's the whole Battle.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    That happened to me! Knowing isn't half the battle it's the whole Battle.

You should both sue. You were clearly mislead by the carriers and the manufacturer. I cannot imagine the pain you have suffered. Your eyes have no doubt suffered irreparable harm, not to mention the mental anguish of using a screen that is clearly inferior. The cost to rebuild your self esteem alone could bankrupt Larry and Sergey.

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Har har. Sad thing is most people think this way. In reality...the screen sucked to begin with .

Ignorance is bliss. Death to PenTile.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelGator View Post
    You should both sue. You were clearly mislead by the carriers and the manufacturer. I cannot imagine the pain you have suffered. Your eyes have no doubt suffered irreparable harm, not to mention the mental anguish of using a screen that is clearly inferior. The cost to rebuild your self esteem alone could bankrupt Larry and Sergey.
    I was half way joking. I didn't realize how good a cell phone screen could look until I saw a Samsung and then later an HTC One. I didn't sell my phone because of it but it made me despise Pentile rather than just hope technology advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelGator View Post
    Oh, I plan on suing. If I ever discover the true identity of the person who told me it was pen tile i will certainly sue them for ruining what was otherwise a wonderful experience.

Oh, I plan on suing. If I ever discover the true identity of the person who told me it was pen tile i will certainly sue them for ruining what was otherwise a wonderful experience.
    Probably the same bas*ard that told you about the Tooth Fairy . . .

wanna purchase Huawei Ascend P1 that have a pentile display..but a bit confused....as it is SUPER AMOLED screen also....
    Guys help me whether to take or not ?how about XPERIA M ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aryan Vy View Post
    wanna purchase Huawei Ascend P1 that have a pentile display..but a bit confused....as it is SUPER AMOLED screen also....
    Guys help me whether to take or not ?how about XPERIA M ?
    simple. Look at it. If you like it buy it. Its really that easy

Posted via my Droid Bionic while waiting for my email notification from Verizon telling me when the Droid Bionic will be available

simple. Look at it. If you like it buy it. Its really that easy

Posted via my Droid Bionic while waiting for my email notification from Verizon telling me when the Droid Bionic will be available
    I love your signature.

I don't know much about display technology, but I can say without a doubt that the screen looks fantastic. If the trade off is less resolution for more battery life, I think it was the right call. This thing is bright enough to see in nearly direct sunlight and it really looks great. I'm coming from a Galaxy Note II and this is a much better screen.
    Thanked by: