Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts

Default Re: To lose unlimited data...

Quote Originally Posted by JimBen73 View Post
    I went to my local corporate Verizon store to buy the Maxx. I was willing to pay full price to keep my unlimited. I average around 14 gigs a month so I need to keep my unlimited for as long as I can. The rep checked and said they were in stock and I could either pay full price or add a line to my account and activate the Maxx on the new line. She said once activated she could switch my Maxx back to my unlimited line. I agreed and walked out the store with a shiny new Maxx with my unlimited intact and only paid $299.

I am paying $10 bucks a month for a "dummy" line but I also have a tab I was paying $50 a month for that I had the rep lower to 1 gig a month (I hardly use it). All in all my payment will be $30 cheaper a month.

Posted via Android Central App
    i will have to see if i can get that
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

It took some effort for me to do it, but I kept my unlimited data. You can read about it here Finally got the Maxx on my unlimited line

I will also say, the first store did make a big deal about not being able to switch upgrades for the purpose of switching the phone back. In the second store I acted like I just wanted to upgrade my 2GB line. It's funny, I've purchased every Verizon phone I've ever owned from that store, and because they gave me a hard time about an upgrade that they WERE able to do, I ended up at another store. VZW still got their money. So, I'm sure they don't care.

So, do it, and set aside time to call tech support in case the website fails you like it did me.

There's no way I could do this... but my usage is around 10GB per month. What are you using your phone for (if you don't mind me asking)? Are you around wifi?

Quote Originally Posted by ashmerae View Post
    There's no way I could do this... but my usage is around 10GB per month. What are you using your phone for (if you don't mind me asking)? Are you around wifi?
    We use about 15GB combined.
    We have 3 lines with unlimited. Sometimes it's more than that.
    I never use WiFi, I pay for unlimited and I'm going to use it.
    So to switch to tiered would cost more for less.

Also I still have this cool promotion on my lines from 3 years back. If I do anything to the lines except swap SIM cards (full retail phones) or do warranty replacements it will screw up the promotion.

When unlimited goes away even at full retail, I leave Verizon.
    I don't think they will do away with unlimited at full retail. I do think that they will close all the loopholes for swapping lines and such.
    That is, if you buy a subsidized phone for a dumb line, you will need to keep data for some amount of time. They don't preven you from moving the phone but you still need to pay for a data plan. So data under new contracts becomes part of the contract and not just a feature. This immediately closes the transfer upgrade loophole. it doesn't prevent you from alternate line upgrades, it just forces you to pay for the data. I can see this happening.

The number of people willing to pay full retail for phones is small. That'a why they added those new phone lease plans.
    bunky1971 and aue123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    We use about 15GB combined.
    We have 3 lines with unlimited. Sometimes it's more than that.
    I never use WiFi, I pay for unlimited and I'm going to use it.
    So to switch to tiered would cost more for less.

Also I still have this cool promotion on my lines from 3 years back. If I do anything to the lines except swap SIM cards (full retail phones) or do warranty replacements it will screw up the promotion.

When unlimited goes away even at full retail, I leave Verizon.
    I don't think they will do away with unlimited at full retail. I do think that they will close all the loopholes for swapping lines and such.
    That is, if you buy a subsidized phone for a dumb line, you will need to keep data for some amount of time. They don't preven you from moving the phone but you still need to pay for a data plan. So data under new contracts becomes part of the contract and not just a feature. This immediately closes the transfer upgrade loophole. it doesn't prevent you from alternate line upgrades, it just forces you to pay for the data. I can see this happening.

The number of people willing to pay full retail for phones is small. That'a why they added those new phone lease plans.
    Yes, if you have the tiered plan like you're describing sounds like you can still swap lines. I'm on some stupid Share Everything thing (somehow, still really angry over the change) and if I do ANYTHING to my line or my secondary I'll loose my unlimited (other than an outside device ESN switch). I'm constantly bargaining with my parents for their upgrades since they got on the data train too late and are stuck with 2GB. It's no big, I'm their favorite and I give them my old device.

The sales rep I spoke with who helped walk me through said Big Red is really doing whatever they can to close all the loopholes. I even considered StraightTalk for a bit until I found out it was only 3G (then later 2G once you went over 2GB) speeds.

Doesn't wifi help with battery life? Just curious; read it somewhere (I think) and wanted to confirm.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts

found this. i might go for this. it's 6gb for same $30. it's 6 times more than what i normally use. now that's another thing to consider...

Motorola Droid Maxx

Global Posts
    5,748 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by ulnek View Post
    found this. i might go for this. it's 6gb for same $30. it's 6 times more than what i normally use. now that's another thing to consider...

Very interesting. Thanks for the link!

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashmerae View Post
    I'm only around reliable WiFi at home. My work WiFi guest network sucks pretty bad. It's an old facility. We are building a new facility with everything up to 802.11ac which will be great, but for now it's not. So, I rely on my 4G almost all day long. My usage now is not too bad. 4GB/month would be plenty for me currently, but there was a time when I was away from home for a couple of months and had only my phone to rely on. Hotel WiFi was over saturated with users. So, it was the phone or nothing most nights. I was consuming well over 20GB/month for a couple of months. Lots of Skype, and other streaming content. I don't foresee doing that again, but with more and more services becoming cloud based, I want more than what carriers are offering. My problem is that they made it so expensive. If limited plans started at 5GB for what they charge for 2GB, I'd think about it. I'd even break down and get a 4G Windows 8 Pro tablet like I want.

They want limited and I understand, but I want to see where this goes. Will they increase the bandwidth without raising their prices in the coming years? I pay a lot for internet from Verizon and Verizon Wireless combined. I don't have to worry about my usage on FiOS. I don't want to have to worry about it on my phone. It is just like my battery. On my RAZR, I was constantly concerned about how much I was using my phone. With the Maxx, I don't care. I love my freedom. I'm not about to replace that with having to worry about if I'm wasting bandwidth on things I consider frivolous, or waiting to update my apps until I'm at home.

I used 40gb last month. I blame YouTube, Netflix and Google play movies and TV.

Never giving up my unlimited data. Just going to buy my phones at full price and pay them off over time

Sent from my DROID MAXX via Tapatalk 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Casen View Post
    I used 40gb last month. I blame YouTube, Netflix and Google play movies and TV.

Never giving up my unlimited data. Just going to buy my phones at full price and pay them off over time

What do you mean pay them off over time?

Posted via Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

Device Payment Plan. Make a down payment then pay device off over two years. No penalty for paying early.
    It's basically a loan with $2 a month finance charge. If you pay off in a year, it's only $20 over buying out right.

Do not mix it up with the EDGE plan though. They are totally separate and EDGE will get rid of unlimited data.

Global Posts
    5,748 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by AaronDeVante View Post
    What do you mean pay them off over time?

Posted via Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App
    Either the device payment plan (full balance over 12) or put it on a best buy rewards for 0% interest and pay it off that way, something to that effect.

Thanked by:
    Casen 

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Either the device payment plan (full balance over 12) or put it on a best buy rewards for 0% interest and pay it off that way, something to that effect.
    I like your profile icon. At first I thought the gmail logo was smiling at me. Then I noticed assassins creed. Awesome.

Darth Spock likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts

Device Payment Plan. Make a down payment then pay device off over two years. No penalty for paying early.
    It's basically a loan with $2 a month finance charge. If you pay off in a year, it's only $20 over buying out right.

Do not mix it up with the EDGE plan though. They are totally separate and EDGE will get rid of unlimited data.

yea i was going to say you can't have the edge plan with unlimited which is why they are offering that 6gb data for $30.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

This only works if you do not get discounted pricing to my dismay. When I paid $299 for my Maxx, I asked to partake in this plan and they said the only way I could take part in it is if I pay full retail for my Maxx. No thanks . . . not while the loophole to move upgrades to and from phones is still open.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincybearcatfan View Post
    This only works if you do not get discounted pricing to my dismay. When I paid $299 for my Maxx, I asked to partake in this plan and they said the only way I could take part in it is if I pay full retail for my Maxx. No thanks . . . not while the loophole to move upgrades to and from phones is still open.
    I don't have an extra line for that loophole, so I pay full price

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Best Buy off contract phones are marked up to discourage the sale.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Global Posts
    5,748 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by artdeguzman View Post
    Best Buy off contract phones are marked up to discourage the sale.

Sent from my Droid Maxx
    True, a lot of times you can get them to price match, but it seems like that's hit or miss depending on the store.

I am grandfathered on Verizon with an Alltel plan with one phone with unlimited date. It is the same plan I had with Alltel when Verizon bought them and moved the Alltel customers to Verizon. Every time I have gone into an Alltel store to upgrade they look at my plan and say there is no way they can upgrade me without moving to a new Verizon plan since the plan I have no longer exists. I then go to Costco or Sams Club to upgrade my phone. I tell the salesperson to put it on the computer and see if it will accept it. I have done this 3 times. I plan on getting the Droid MAXX as soon as Sams club has it in stock. I hope it will accept the upgrade and let me keep my old Alltel plan. If not, I will have to try to decide what to do. I really want to move on from the Galaxy Nexus. I am currently on my fifth GNex. I have been plagued with reception issues the whole time I have had it. I have often said my reception depends on which way the wind is blowing when making a call.

Device payment plan

Device payment plan

I don't know why more people don't talk about the device payment plan. U can do that n keep ur unlimited. Plus there is no penalty for paying it off early.

SENT FROM MY AMAZING NOTE 2!
    Thanked by:
    Casen 
    Casen likes this.

In your case you are better off going with the new plan and taking the lower cost phone. You don't use enough data for the Unlimited plan cost + full cost of phone to save you money.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12