To lose unlimited data...

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
How did you manage this? Im on Verizon's Nationwide Talk & Text Unlimited for $89.99 pr/month and have unlimited data on my Droid X. Total bill is around $130 pr/month. This includes a corporate discount of 20% off of the data.
What are you paying if you dont mind me asking? I need tethering for my job and on occasion when im DJ'ing, but dont use it much.
Definitely wouldn't be worth paying an extra $20 pr/month.

Edit: Just got off the phone with Verizon Rep and also confirmed this on Verizons website. He said if i moved to the Share Everything Plan it would cost me $88 pr/month for 2GB of data and that would include use of the Wifi Hotspot. With my 20% discount it would only cost me another $8 to go to 4GB pr/month
So instead of the $113.98 pr/month im now paying for unlimited with no Wifi Hotspot, ill get either 2GB or 4Gb of data for less money and with the Wifi Hotpost included.
Well i guess its so long unlimited and hello Share Everything Plan. Now to sit back and read some more reviews on the Maxx before i pull the trigger.

Wife and I shared Nationwide Talk Share 700 plan that required two data plans ($30 each, mine was unlimited from Droid2 days) and two texting plans. Tethering would have been extra so we went without, and I used my cell minutes for conference calls only when needed. My current Droid X2 (waiting on pre-order of Maxx) got sluggish with viber, and having skype and vonage extensions running just to save minutes/texts seems foolish.

Current "share everything" plan gives us unlimited talk, text, and tethering with 4 gigs shared for about the same cost. Usually I only used 250 megs of 3G out of the unlimited data. 3G signal is poor in my home but that is what my 250Gig limit on my home cable/Wifi connection is for.

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I went to my local corporate Verizon store to buy the Maxx. I was willing to pay full price to keep my unlimited. I average around 14 gigs a month so I need to keep my unlimited for as long as I can. The rep checked and said they were in stock and I could either pay full price or add a line to my account and activate the Maxx on the new line. She said once activated she could switch my Maxx back to my unlimited line. I agreed and walked out the store with a shiny new Maxx with my unlimited intact and only paid $299.

I am paying $10 bucks a month for a "dummy" line but I also have a tab I was paying $50 a month for that I had the rep lower to 1 gig a month (I hardly use it). All in all my payment will be $30 cheaper a month.

Posted via Android Central App

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
add a line to my account and activate the Maxx on the new line. She said once activated she could switch my Maxx back to my unlimited line. I agreed and walked out the store with a shiny new Maxx with my unlimited intact and only paid $299.

I am paying $10 bucks a month for a "dummy" line but I also have a tab I was paying $50 a month for that I had the rep lower to 1 gig a month (I hardly use it). All in all my payment will be $30 cheaper a month.
Yup yup. Its the loophole. So you Paid $300+$240 ($10 per month for 24 months)...still cheaper than full price.

LOTL2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Well i did the preorder at Best Buy Mobile today for the Maxx and will most likely go with the Share Everything Plan. My data usage was under 2GB pr/month for the last 12 months. That and with the possible inevitability (isnt that an Oxymoron?) of unlimited data going away, im not that worried about it.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I went to my local corporate Verizon store to buy the Maxx. I was willing to pay full price to keep my unlimited. I average around 14 gigs a month so I need to keep my unlimited for as long as I can. The rep checked and said they were in stock and I could either pay full price or add a line to my account and activate the Maxx on the new line. She said once activated she could switch my Maxx back to my unlimited line. I agreed and walked out the store with a shiny new Maxx with my unlimited intact and only paid $299.

Posted via Android Central App

i will have to see if i can get that

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
It took some effort for me to do it, but I kept my unlimited data. You can read about it here http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-maxx/308043-finally-got-maxx-my-unlimited-line.html

I will also say, the first store did make a big deal about not being able to switch upgrades for the purpose of switching the phone back. In the second store I acted like I just wanted to upgrade my 2GB line. It's funny, I've purchased every Verizon phone I've ever owned from that store, and because they gave me a hard time about an upgrade that they WERE able to do, I ended up at another store. VZW still got their money. So, I'm sure they don't care.

So, do it, and set aside time to call tech support in case the website fails you like it did me.

ashmerae

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
There's no way I could do this... but my usage is around 10GB per month. What are you using your phone for (if you don't mind me asking)? Are you around wifi?

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
There's no way I could do this... but my usage is around 10GB per month. What are you using your phone for (if you don't mind me asking)? Are you around wifi?

We use about 15GB combined.
We have 3 lines with unlimited. Sometimes it's more than that.
I never use WiFi, I pay for unlimited and I'm going to use it.
So to switch to tiered would cost more for less.

Also I still have this cool promotion on my lines from 3 years back. If I do anything to the lines except swap SIM cards (full retail phones) or do warranty replacements it will screw up the promotion.

When unlimited goes away even at full retail, I leave Verizon.
I don't think they will do away with unlimited at full retail. I do think that they will close all the loopholes for swapping lines and such.
That is, if you buy a subsidized phone for a dumb line, you will need to keep data for some amount of time. They don't preven you from moving the phone but you still need to pay for a data plan. So data under new contracts becomes part of the contract and not just a feature. This immediately closes the transfer upgrade loophole. it doesn't prevent you from alternate line upgrades, it just forces you to pay for the data. I can see this happening.

The number of people willing to pay full retail for phones is small. That'a why they added those new phone lease plans.

ashmerae

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
We use about 15GB combined.
We have 3 lines with unlimited. Sometimes it's more than that.
I never use WiFi, I pay for unlimited and I'm going to use it.
So to switch to tiered would cost more for less.

Also I still have this cool promotion on my lines from 3 years back. If I do anything to the lines except swap SIM cards (full retail phones) or do warranty replacements it will screw up the promotion.

When unlimited goes away even at full retail, I leave Verizon.
I don't think they will do away with unlimited at full retail. I do think that they will close all the loopholes for swapping lines and such.
That is, if you buy a subsidized phone for a dumb line, you will need to keep data for some amount of time. They don't preven you from moving the phone but you still need to pay for a data plan. So data under new contracts becomes part of the contract and not just a feature. This immediately closes the transfer upgrade loophole. it doesn't prevent you from alternate line upgrades, it just forces you to pay for the data. I can see this happening.

The number of people willing to pay full retail for phones is small. That'a why they added those new phone lease plans.

Yes, if you have the tiered plan like you're describing sounds like you can still swap lines. I'm on some stupid Share Everything thing (somehow, still really angry over the change) and if I do ANYTHING to my line or my secondary I'll loose my unlimited (other than an outside device ESN switch). I'm constantly bargaining with my parents for their upgrades since they got on the data train too late and are stuck with 2GB. It's no big, I'm their favorite and I give them my old device.

The sales rep I spoke with who helped walk me through said Big Red is really doing whatever they can to close all the loopholes. I even considered StraightTalk for a bit until I found out it was only 3G (then later 2G once you went over 2GB) speeds.

Doesn't wifi help with battery life? Just curious; read it somewhere (I think) and wanted to confirm.

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm only around reliable WiFi at home. My work WiFi guest network sucks pretty bad. It's an old facility. We are building a new facility with everything up to 802.11ac which will be great, but for now it's not. So, I rely on my 4G almost all day long. My usage now is not too bad. 4GB/month would be plenty for me currently, but there was a time when I was away from home for a couple of months and had only my phone to rely on. Hotel WiFi was over saturated with users. So, it was the phone or nothing most nights. I was consuming well over 20GB/month for a couple of months. Lots of Skype, and other streaming content. I don't foresee doing that again, but with more and more services becoming cloud based, I want more than what carriers are offering. My problem is that they made it so expensive. If limited plans started at 5GB for what they charge for 2GB, I'd think about it. I'd even break down and get a 4G Windows 8 Pro tablet like I want.

They want limited and I understand, but I want to see where this goes. Will they increase the bandwidth without raising their prices in the coming years? I pay a lot for internet from Verizon and Verizon Wireless combined. I don't have to worry about my usage on FiOS. I don't want to have to worry about it on my phone. It is just like my battery. On my RAZR, I was constantly concerned about how much I was using my phone. With the Maxx, I don't care. I love my freedom. I'm not about to replace that with having to worry about if I'm wasting bandwidth on things I consider frivolous, or waiting to update my apps until I'm at home.

Casen

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I used 40gb last month. I blame YouTube, Netflix and Google play movies and TV.

Never giving up my unlimited data. Just going to buy my phones at full price and pay them off over time

Sent from my DROID MAXX via Tapatalk 4.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I used 40gb last month. I blame YouTube, Netflix and Google play movies and TV.

Never giving up my unlimited data. Just going to buy my phones at full price and pay them off over time

What do you mean pay them off over time?

Posted via Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

Casen

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Device Payment Plan. Make a down payment then pay device off over two years. No penalty for paying early.
It's basically a loan with $2 a month finance charge. If you pay off in a year, it's only $20 over buying out right.

Do not mix it up with the EDGE plan though. They are totally separate and EDGE will get rid of unlimited data.

Casen

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Either the device payment plan (full balance over 12) or put it on a best buy rewards for 0% interest and pay it off that way, something to that effect.

I like your profile icon. At first I thought the gmail logo was smiling at me. Then I noticed assassins creed. Awesome.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Device Payment Plan. Make a down payment then pay device off over two years. No penalty for paying early.
It's basically a loan with $2 a month finance charge. If you pay off in a year, it's only $20 over buying out right.

Do not mix it up with the EDGE plan though. They are totally separate and EDGE will get rid of unlimited data.

yea i was going to say you can't have the edge plan with unlimited which is why they are offering that 6gb data for $30.

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

This only works if you do not get discounted pricing to my dismay. When I paid $299 for my Maxx, I asked to partake in this plan and they said the only way I could take part in it is if I pay full retail for my Maxx. No thanks . . . not while the loophole to move upgrades to and from phones is still open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34