Trusted Bluetooth Devices

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Got my Cobra Tag today from Groupon. Charging it now. First impression is it's big, but looks like it's durable enough for the keychain. I'll post my impressions once I have a chance to play with it.

Posted via Android Central App

According to the tracking mine is still sitting in Kentucky. When I look to my right I see it on my end table charging. So much for up to date tracking. But I plan to start using it tomorrow and will post what I think about it.

Charles Az

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So I've been using the Cobra Tag for a day now, I thought I would post my first impressions of the device:

It's about the size of a normal key fob, I was worried it would be too big, but It hasn't been bothering me. the device CANNOT connect to the phone without the app. The phone can see the tag, and I can try to connect to it, but it won't connect and activate the trusted devices setting without the app installed and running (adds a persistent notification and icon). I'm actually not bothered by this, because I planned on using the tag for it's actual purpose in addition to being a trusted device. There is a button on the device to find the phone, and a button in the app to find the tag. Both worked almost instantly every time I tested them, but the speaker on the tag is not very loud. I've only tested the separation alarm once, but I was about 150 feet from the tag when my phone started beeping, and I also received an e-mail with a map of the location where the devices were last together.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the tag, but it's not the solution if all you want is a trusted device.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Charles, Thanks for the details. What bluetooth profile does it use? Media player? When the phone rings, does the tag do anything?

Charles Az

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Cobra says it uses the serial port profile, there's no option in the bluetooth settings to choose which profiles to use, so I'm guessing that's the only one it can use. Nothing happens with the tag when I receive a call, the call just goes through like normal. I'm gonna try connecting it to my cars BT in a little bit, I'll update with how it works out.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like the cobra is the better solution.

You could disable the persistent notifications by going to Settings, Apps, finding the app and disabling notifications, but that might screw up the intended use of the app as a separation alarm.

BTW, any obvious impact on battery life with the NY on all the time? The 505 is negligible...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Cobra tag for a couple of days and it seems like just what the doctor ordered. I couldn't see what bluetooth profiles it uses, but when I'm in my car, my phone will stay connected to the tag, and I can still listen to music and take phone calls through bluetooth. I turned the notification icon off, and that didn't affect it's function as a separation alarm, it still goes off at about 100 ft. Once I was separated from the device, the phone locked. When I got back within range to the device, it connected but didn't automatically unlock my phone. I thought it would, but that's no big deal. I just have to unlock once and it stays unlocked as long as I'm in range.
The one complaint I have is that the battery is advertised for "up to 7 days" but it looks like it will make it for about 2 and a half days. Maybe it will get better after the initial charging cycle.

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Cobra tag for a couple of days and it seems like just what the doctor ordered. I couldn't see what bluetooth profiles it uses, but when I'm in my car, my phone will stay connected to the tag, and I can still listen to music and take phone calls through bluetooth. I turned the notification icon off, and that didn't affect it's function as a separation alarm, it still goes off at about 100 ft. Once I was separated from the device, the phone locked. When I got back within range to the device, it connected but didn't automatically unlock my phone. I thought it would, but that's no big deal. I just have to unlock once and it stays unlocked as long as I'm in range.
The one complaint I have is that the battery is advertised for "up to 7 days" but it looks like it will make it for about 2 and a half days. Maybe it will get better after the initial charging cycle.

That's what I find with my Jawbone. I have to unlock it the first time. It makes sense. Otherwise a person could take my phone and my Jawbone and just turn on the Jawbone to have access to my phone.

Anyway, I just got my Cobra Tag in the mail today. I laughed at the postage. It said "time sensitive material. Tomorrow will be two weeks since I placed the order.

Works like others have said. I like the separation alarm except that there are only two distance settings, Far and Close. Neither is what I want. I wish it had a Medium setting. So, I left it on Far. I could also do without the added icon in the notification bar. All in all, not bad for under $13.

dfox

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Cobra tag today. Although you need the app to make it stay connected, you can turn off the alarms in the app if you want so it doesn't ring the tag & your phone every time you separate them. You can still activate the alarms manually, if you lose your phone or tag. I think it will serve the purpose I wanted it for, and for the $12.81 including shipping from Groupon it was worth it.

4R69l

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
That's what I find with my Jawbone. I have to unlock it the first time. It makes sense. Otherwise a person could take my phone and my Jawbone and just turn on the Jawbone to have access to my phone.

Anyway, I just got my Cobra Tag in the mail today. I laughed at the postage. It said "time sensitive material. Tomorrow will be two weeks since I placed the order.

Works like others have said. I like the separation alarm except that there are only two distance settings, Far and Close. Neither is what I want. I wish it had a Medium setting. So, I left it on Far. I could also do without the added icon in the notification bar. All in all, not bad for under $13.

Chiplg I will have to agree with you on the notification bar, other then that, I'm sold.

kckadow

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Screenshot_2013-09-23-21-58-24.pngScreenshot_2013-09-23-21-58-17.pngIMG_20130923_215350971.jpgIMG_20130923_215521046.jpg

Used my Cobra Tag now for 2 days and pretty much concur with what everyone has said. A little bigger than I want it to be, but seems to be a more sturdy option for the keychain (vs the Insite) and I like it better than just in the pocket. I don't mind the app and it's nice that it doesn't affect incoming calls or media. Battery for me is about 2 days. Convenient that it works on micro usb. I think I'm done buying these things until something more compelling comes out. Must be smaller, BT LE, but not sure what else...

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I looked at the FCC documents on the Cobra Tag, and it mentions that there is an ANT specification on the device. This explains why it is supposed to run for a long period of time. The battery is only 185mAh 3.7V as seen in the internal pics. Nothing out of the ordinary from the pics. Single microcontroller with minimal supporting circuits and an antenna printed on the board. Thank you FCC. Now I'm not tempted to take it apart.

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Shut off the notification icon. It works fine without it.

I forgot I could do that. :-[

Edit: if I turn off the notification, I can't locate my phone. Also, when I turned them back on the audio and vibrate works to locate my phone, but the icon didn't came back. I'm guessing it'll come back later. I couldn't get that lucky.

Last edited:

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Battery for me is about 2 days. Convenient that it works on micro usb. I think I'm done buying these things until something more compelling comes out. Must be smaller, BT LE, but not sure what else...

Hmm, 2 days. I wonder how distance effects that. My keys live on the other side of the house from my phone at night. I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe I'll experiment with putting them in my bedroom by the phone at night.

I was hoping to charge it on the same schedule as my FitBit which is twice a week. No big deal. I can charge it at work since I don't charge my Maxx there anymore. Although, if I walk off with my phone and keys on the counter that would be bad. Phone, keys, cobra tag keeping phone unlocked. Umm, no, I'll charge it at home and keep my keys in my pocket.

kckadow

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, 2 days. I wonder how distance effects that. My keys live on the other side of the house from my phone at night. I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe I'll experiment with putting them in my bedroom by the phone at night.

I was hoping to charge it on the same schedule as my FitBit which is twice a week. No big deal. I can charge it at work since I don't charge my Maxx there anymore. Although, if I walk off with my phone and keys on the counter that would be bad. Phone, keys, cobra tag keeping phone unlocked. Umm, no, I'll charge it at home and keep my keys in my pocket.

My 2 day battery life test was not very scientific so hopefully you'll get more. Tdizzel said 2.5 days. Can't speak to the distance/battery relationship, let us know if you find any correlation. With all the unused chargers at my house, office and in my car, I won't mind charging it every couple days. So nice to only have to charge my phone once a day.

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
My 2 day battery life test was not very scientific so hopefully you'll get more. Tdizzel said 2.5 days. Can't speak to the distance/battery relationship, let us know if you find any correlation. With all the unused chargers at my house, office and in my car, I won't mind charging it every couple days. So nice to only have to charge my phone once a day.

I'll test it for a week and respond. For now I'm leaving the keys near the garage and my phone in my room at night. After I have to charge it twice, I'll move the keys to my room. The whole test will probably take more than a week, but I'll give an update by Monday on the progress.

dfox

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Mine's been in use for 2 days now and the app still shows 90% charge. I keep mine in my pocket so it's usually pretty close to the phone.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Cobra tag still working well, but the battery issue is odd. I think i'm having some combination of the app not reading it correctly and/or it being bad.
The first charge I went a little over 50 hours and had 10% left.
The second charge was at 50% after 24 hours-6 hours later it was dead.
The third charge after 24 hours was at 40%. put it on the charger for 10 minutes, took it off and the app was showing it as fully charge. Its been 12 hours since then and the app is showing 90%
My apartment is pretty small and my keys and phone are usually in the same room so they're pretty close to each other most of the time. Hopefully I can get a read on how the battery is doing, but as far as function it does exactly what I want it to do.

kckadow

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Cobra tag still working well, but the battery issue is odd. I think i'm having some combination of the app not reading it correctly and/or it being bad.
The first charge I went a little over 50 hours and had 10% left.
The second charge was at 50% after 24 hours-6 hours later it was dead.
The third charge after 24 hours was at 40%. put it on the charger for 10 minutes, took it off and the app was showing it as fully charge. Its been 12 hours since then and the app is showing 90%
My apartment is pretty small and my keys and phone are usually in the same room so they're pretty close to each other most of the time. Hopefully I can get a read on how the battery is doing, but as far as function it does exactly what I want it to do.

I've been finding that it doesn't take long to charge at all, about an hour or so.....but I haven't been looking at the battery status regularly, just charging when it says low or I think about it. Currently going on 18 hours with tag very close to phone entire time and the app says fully charged. I'm thinking it is the app not reading the battery accurately.

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'm finding my first charge to be interesting. I haven't had to change it since I got it on Monday. It went to 50% verry quickly the fist day. I'm on day 3 (if you don't count Monday night) and I'm at 30%. I think it's going to take more than a week to get a feel for it. At night the keys are far from the phone. I'm going to charge it tomorrow unless it dies before then. Then start the test again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC