Trusted Bluetooth Devices

Gregory Caravelli

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Now that Fitbit officially supports mobile syncing with the Maxx, Moto X, etc, can anyone confirm that their device works as a trusted bluetooth device? I don't have one myself and wanted to know before buying. I noticed in a Fitbit manual that pairing happens in the Fitbit app, not the system BT menu. Does that mean the Fitbit device isn't listed in the BT settings menu (and is therefore not available as a trusted device)?

If it can be set as a trusted device, does it maintain a connection consistently?

CattieBrie

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Now that Fitbit officially supports mobile syncing with the Maxx, Moto X, etc, can anyone confirm that their device works as a trusted bluetooth device? I don't have one myself and wanted to know before buying. I noticed in a Fitbit manual that pairing happens in the Fitbit app, not the system BT menu. Does that mean the Fitbit device isn't listed in the BT settings menu (and is therefore not available as a trusted device)?

If it can be set as a trusted device, does it maintain a connection consistently?

I do not believe that a Fitbit will work as a trusted device. I went in to turn trusted device on and my Fitbit One was not an option.

Posted via Android Central App

ThatAdamGuy

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping to find a solution for my Moto X that didn't require recharging weekly (or daily!), and it looks like I've indeed found it in a device called "Pally Smart Finder"

Here's the response from their tech support (wow, sent on Sunday morning from my email the night before!) when I asked whether this would pair and stay constantly connected with my Moto X:
Yes, our Pally Smart Finder had been tested to pair with Android 4.3+ devices and maintain a constant connection (for virtual leash function). Android 4.4.x turns out more stable, owning to the improvement on Android's BLE stack.

We will introduce an Android app in March 2014.
So I just ordered one and will post back here with my experience :). They even ship to the U.S. from Canada without any charging any shipping fees, so the total was $24.99.

By the way, I also sent inquiries last night to the Chipolo and Gecko folks, and I'll let you know what I hear back from them as well.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping to find a solution for my Moto X that didn't require recharging weekly (or daily!), and it looks like I've indeed found it in a device called "Pally Smart Finder"

Here's the response from their tech support (wow, sent on Sunday morning from my email the night before!) when I asked whether this would pair and stay constantly connected with my Moto X:

So I just ordered one and will post back here with my experience :). They even ship to the U.S. from Canada without any charging any shipping fees, so the total was $24.99.

By the way, I also sent inquiries last night to the Chipolo and Gecko folks, and I'll let you know what I hear back from them as well.

I'm very interested in your results. I'd especially like to know if that Chipolo one works with the Maxx. That sleek, no button, long battery life keyfob is the design I've been looking for.

ThatAdamGuy

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've definitely gotten outstanding customer service from Pally. Quick responses, and a promise to mail out my device right away. I'll certainly post an update here when I've gotten it and tried it out.

re: the other options:
  • Kensington - Officially No: "[The] Proximity Tag model # 39771 will not work with Moto X. This unit is designed to be compatible with Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Galaxy Note II, Note 8.0, Note 10.1."
  • Gecko - Officially Yes: "[...]it appears that gecko can be a trusted device for Moto-X. Regarding the mode of connection, it stays connected all the time when the phone is in BT range. Even if it goes out of range, (where the range can be set for Near, Medium, Far) then it will be disconnected and it will again re-connect if the mobile comes back in range. The re-connect is automatic."
  • Chipolo - Not yet replied: Not yet responded (but understandably, since it's a holiday week and I just wrote them this weekend!)
  • Misc old-skool bluetooth clip - Tested Yes: Just found and tried out a small pocketable bluetooth headset clip thing (that you connect your own headphones to), and it works like a charm! No idea how often I'd have to charge it, tho.
  • Pally - Officially Yes: (added from my earlier post above]"Yes, our Pally Smart Finder had been tested to pair with Android 4.3+ devices and maintain a constant connection (for virtual leash function). Android 4.4.x turns out more stable, owning to the improvement on Android's BLE stack. We will introduce an Android app in March 2014."

EDITED TO ADD: Updated with new response from Gecko, confirming that their product can be used as a Trusted Device with the Moto X.

Last edited:

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
...snip...
Gecko: "[...]it appears that gecko can be a trusted device for Moto-X. Regarding the mode of connection, it stays connected all the time when the phone is in BT range. Even if it goes out of range, (where the range can be set for Near, Medium, Far) then it will be disconnected and it will again re-connect if the mobile comes back in range. The re-connect is automatic."
...snip...
EDITED TO ADD: Updated with new response from Gecko, confirming that their product can be used as a Trusted Device with the Moto X.
I'm glad to hear this (I just pre-ordered 2 Geckos last night!). Thanks for doing the legwork with the manufacturers on this. I figured I'd take a chance on the Gecko--at the least it can be used as a "find my keys" thing (my wife lost hers twice recently...) Its other features are intriguing as well, and the cost is competitive with the other tags.

rlmesq

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I've started using the Secure Settings app with Tasker, instead of Trusted Devices.

When I'm on my home or office WiFi network, or connected to my car's Bluetooth, it disables the PIN lock and switches to the slider. When it disconnects (and/or when it connects to certain networks, like the one at the courthouse), security is re-enabled.

viper81

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I've started using the Secure Settings app with Tasker, instead of Trusted Devices.

When I'm on my home or office WiFi network, or connected to my car's Bluetooth, it disables the PIN lock and switches to the slider. When it disconnects (and/or when it connects to certain networks, like the one at the courthouse), security is re-enabled.

Thank you! I just set this up using pin instead of pattern. Works great! Now I can use voice commands when connected to home wifi without unlocking first. Awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

I'm doing the same thing with my N5 (have a Moto X) using Tasker and Secure Settings. It doesn't always work with my home wifi, and I can get it to work if I reboot the phone. It seems to work better with bluetooth. I'm testing it out with my Cobra Tag. Also, Delayed lock is another app that has similar functionality.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Gecko looks freakin' awesome! Wondering how many things I need to tag for my wife...? Of course, then she wouldn't need me...lol.
So please post results, so far I've just left my Maxx open. With this, we can pass-protect it? And keeping the Gecko in our pocket it will remain open? When we walk away or the phone walks away, it's locked down? And it won't interfere with BT headsets?

ThatAdamGuy

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm really annoyed and bummed that -- despite apparent reassurances from Pally -- their Smart Finder does not work with Android at this time, and an Android app to rectify this is not expected until March :-(. Currently in communications with company to get a refund. In the meantime, I've ordered a Gecko and a Chipolo and will update this thread when I have a chance to try them out.

kckadow

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone who has updated to 4.4 on the Maxx tried the Fitbit as a trusted device? I assume that if it won't work as a trusted device on the Moto X that it won't on the Maxx, but thought I'd ask. Pebble Steel looks a lot nicer than the original Pebble, but still holding out for a Google Watch or a better "tag" type device.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of the Cobra Tag, it's been a wonderful device for me to use as a trusted device... Until I installed KitKat yesterday.

On KitKat the Cobra Tag randomly disconnects from the phone, sounding the separation alarm and locking the phone. Very disappointing.

I'll have to test the Cobra Tag on my Nexus 5 to see if it can maintain the BT connection with a different KitKat device.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

kckadow

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. My Cobra didn't make it to Kit Kat. The insite is still working on Kit Kat though.

You'd think Moto would have some Trusted Device "certification" or "approved" program. It would be a nice marketing piece for the manufacturers of these things I would think and promote one of their best features.

Would make it easier on us...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11