Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: Does PDANet/FoxFi work?

Hot spot works great, but I was just in northern Michigan with poor reception and hot spot would not work because of roaming?!? Kind of defeats the purpose if I can't use wifi when I'm not in a common area!
    Foxfi didn't work on my phone. It made me set a lock screen and was unable to take off until I cleared credentials.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

You can take the lock screen off. This is from the app itself in the play store:

*Some Jelly Bean phones has locked-down the WiFi hotspot feature, because of that FoxFi will ask you to install a user certificate on those phones. The side effect is that Android system will require you to set a screen lock (and only allows Pattern, PIN or Password) when any security settings is changed. There is indeed a way to remove the lock screen while keeping the certificate: set a pattern lock and try to unlock the phone with a "bad pattern" for 5-10 times, it will show you an error message, now select "Forgot Pattern?" and enter your gmail/password. After these steps the screen lock will be removed without removing the certificate.

It took me a few tries but does work with no lock screen now.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

I haven't had the need to root my maxx, since the phone is almost perfect right out of the box. I'm tempted to try foxfi on an upcoming trip but wasn't sure if I needed to purchase the premium version. I'm currently on unlimited data and just want the ability to wirelessly tether without Verizon knowing. Will the free version do what I need?

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by AImbriano View Post
    I haven't had the need to root my maxx, since the phone is almost perfect right out of the box. I'm tempted to try foxfi on an upcoming trip but wasn't sure if I needed to purchase the premium version. I'm currently on unlimited data and just want the ability to wirelessly tether without Verizon knowing. Will the free version do what I need?

I think the free version has limitations but should work. I have the paid one so I can't give you a definite.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Great to see it works on the Maxx. Thanks for all the updates

Quote Originally Posted by Umass021 View Post
    You can take the lock screen off. This is from the app itself in the play store:

*Some Jelly Bean phones has locked-down the WiFi hotspot feature, because of that FoxFi will ask you to install a user certificate on those phones. The side effect is that Android system will require you to set a screen lock (and only allows Pattern, PIN or Password) when any security settings is changed. There is indeed a way to remove the lock screen while keeping the certificate: set a pattern lock and try to unlock the phone with a "bad pattern" for 5-10 times, it will show you an error message, now select "Forgot Pattern?" and enter your gmail/password. After these steps the screen lock will be removed without removing the certificate.

It took me a few tries but does work with no lock screen now.

OMG...Thank you for this!
    Crazy Yankee Sportfishing - Salmon and Trout Charters on Lake Ontario!

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Yankee View Post
    OMG...Thank you for this!
    This also worked for me. No more lock screen!

Thank you!

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Glad I could help

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Unhappy Re: Does PDANet/FoxFi work?

Tried it today with my new Droid Maxx. No luck at all. Not sure if I am setting it up correctly though. My fist time trying to do this with any phone. I hope someone has better results than I.

What do you mean , root your maxx

If someone has the Droid Maxx and knows how to make it work, I would love to know how. I guess I need step by step instructions!

Global Posts
    10,055 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 3.0 Sense

Make what work? I have the Maxx and foxfi works fine

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I wish you could email me how you did it. I just got my droid maxx about 2 weeks ago. I purchased the latest FoxFi 2.14.1 and the latest
    FoxFi Key which ispdaNet+ 4.13.2 and when I try it it fails. Could you call me if I give you my email then my phone number?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  

Quote Originally Posted by NoLuckKn View Post
    Could you call me if I give you my email then my phone number?
    This is the internet - sharing personal information like that is not a good idea. Be patient and wait for reply posts. In the meantime, google for some directions.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Same here. It seems like it is just using the phones stock hotspot. Is it and therefore using data, or is foxfi really in control and is not using data?

Quote Originally Posted by mlh MAXX View Post
    Same here. It seems like it is just using the phones stock hotspot. Is it and therefore using data, or is foxfi really in control and is not using data?
    Any hotspot wifi tether etc. uses data there is no way around that. Foxfi is just a work around for unlimited users since the stock hot spot is unlocked on limited plans.

Thanks for the prompt reply. But now I am more confused. What utility, if any, does FoxFi provide to me on my MAXX that is not built-in? I am on a share everything plan.

Use the built in Mobile Hotspot app to tether.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Check me out on twitter if you like- http://twitter.com/polar135

Bu this will use data out of my share everything data plan, yes? As opposed to using the unlimited 4G?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #70  

Quote Originally Posted by mlh MAXX View Post
    Bu this will use data out of my share everything data plan, yes? As opposed to using the unlimited 4G?
    If your plan allows for the use of the built in hotspot (I believe share everything plans generally do), then you're set - there's no need to use an app like FoxFi/PDANet. Some users have plans that do not include the hotspot feature, and these apps sometimes work as a work-around to allow tethering. No matter if it's the built in hotspot or an app for tethering, it's going to use your mobile data. It's just that some users (myself included) have managed to hold onto old unlimited data plans that Verizon no longer offers, so using mobile data isn't an issue. These unlimited plans do not include the hotspot feature, so they/we are always looking for workarounds to get the hotspot/tethering function.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

YAY, thanks for the explanation. Makes prefect sense now. I had unlimited on my Droid X, but was forced to change when I upgraded recently.

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    It's just that some users (myself included) have managed to hold onto old unlimited data plans that Verizon no longer offers, so using mobile data isn't an issue. These unlimited plans do not include the hotspot feature, so they/we are always looking for workarounds to get the hotspot/tethering function.
    That's not entirely true. Unlimited plans can use the tethering function you just have to pay to enable it.
    Droid Maxx
    Running 4.4 Kit Kat

US Navy CPO Ret

Quote Originally Posted by perkdog65 View Post
    That's not entirely true. Unlimited plans can use the tethering function you just have to pay to enable it.
    True. However if you pay to enable the hotspot they provide you with a limited amount of data now. You still have your unlimited data for your phone, but are capped at about 2gigs to use for the hotspot. It's ridiculous. Everyone is pushing these great phones on their super fast networks, except you can't actually use it to do anything good because they are going to limit your data. I'm holding onto my unlimited and tethering for as long as I can

I hear you Phyco, and if we all just used them as PHONES and not home networks, then no data capping or throttleing would probably work. But a lot of the people that I have talked to with unlimited data ditch their DSL or Cable service and run an entire household of information super highway off of one PHONE, the wife, the 4 kids and so on. I am not trying to argue for the cell companies I can just see the reasoning behind the madness.
    Droid Maxx
    Running 4.4 Kit Kat

US Navy CPO Ret

I don't go that nuts with data. I use a few gigs a month. I just want to be able to stream a movie on my phone or get a connection for my laptop or tablet at work when I want to

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast