Does PDANet/FoxFi work?

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am just throwing out there that although it works right now with the Maxx, if may not work when updated to Kitcat. There will probably be a fix eventually.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I really don't understand what the fuss is all about.

Since day one on any verizon phone I've had, easytether pro has worked flawlessly without root. And if you're too cheap to pay there's a workaround.

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk

acsmith1972

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I tried the downloaded files with the "MT" hashcode, and it doesn't work on my Note 3 with T-Mobile. It says "failed to decode 436". As a matter of fact, I can't connect via usb either. PDAnet keeps asking me to enable usb debugging which I've turned on and off numerous times just in case. The funny thing is it all worked fine on my Galaxy S4. That phone was on Verizon whn I had unlimited data. I switche when I lost it thanks to one of my family members changing the plan and screwing that up. Please help.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I tried the downloaded files with the "MT" hashcode, and it doesn't work on my Note 3 with T-Mobile. It says "failed to decode 436". As a matter of fact, I can't connect via usb either. PDAnet keeps asking me to enable usb debugging which I've turned on and off numerous times just in case. The funny thing is it all worked fine on my Galaxy S4. That phone was on Verizon whn I had unlimited data. I switche when I lost it thanks to one of my family members changing the plan and screwing that up. Please help.

If you're not on unlimited data, there's a good chance you should be able to use the stock tethering feature and not need Foxfi/PDAnet.

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Two questions:

1. What does the $8 version get you that the free version does not already have?

2. Is there any way to use it without having a LOCK SCREEN? I hate having to put in a pin or pattern to get into my phone. It's a major annoyance.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Two questions:

1. What does the $8 version get you that the free version does not already have?

2. Is there any way to use it without having a LOCK SCREEN? I hate having to put in a pin or pattern to get into my phone. It's a major annoyance.

If it's like it used to be, the free version wouldn't allow accessing secure sites. Seems like there were one or two other things. I'm not seeing it spelled out clearly on the app page in the Play store, which is disappointing.

Last I knew, it had to use a VPN setup to work, which required some kind of lock screen.

It's much nicer to temporarily root & just turn on the stock tethering function.

Jdalton1111

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hot spot works great, but I was just in northern Michigan with poor reception and hot spot would not work because of roaming?!? Kind of defeats the purpose if I can't use wifi when I'm not in a common area!
Foxfi didn't work on my phone. It made me set a lock screen and was unable to take off until I cleared credentials.

Posted via Android Central App

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
You can take the lock screen off. This is from the app itself in the play store:

*Some Jelly Bean phones has locked-down the WiFi hotspot feature, because of that FoxFi will ask you to install a user certificate on those phones. The side effect is that Android system will require you to set a screen lock (and only allows Pattern, PIN or Password) when any security settings is changed. There is indeed a way to remove the lock screen while keeping the certificate: set a pattern lock and try to unlock the phone with a "bad pattern" for 5-10 times, it will show you an error message, now select "Forgot Pattern?" and enter your gmail/password. After these steps the screen lock will be removed without removing the certificate.

It took me a few tries but does work with no lock screen now.

AImbriano

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had the need to root my maxx, since the phone is almost perfect right out of the box. I'm tempted to try foxfi on an upcoming trip but wasn't sure if I needed to purchase the premium version. I'm currently on unlimited data and just want the ability to wirelessly tether without Verizon knowing. Will the free version do what I need?

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had the need to root my maxx, since the phone is almost perfect right out of the box. I'm tempted to try foxfi on an upcoming trip but wasn't sure if I needed to purchase the premium version. I'm currently on unlimited data and just want the ability to wirelessly tether without Verizon knowing. Will the free version do what I need?

I think the free version has limitations but should work. I have the paid one so I can't give you a definite.

Crazy Yankee

Jul 20, 2010
www.crazyyankeesportfishing.com
You can take the lock screen off. This is from the app itself in the play store:

*Some Jelly Bean phones has locked-down the WiFi hotspot feature, because of that FoxFi will ask you to install a user certificate on those phones. The side effect is that Android system will require you to set a screen lock (and only allows Pattern, PIN or Password) when any security settings is changed. There is indeed a way to remove the lock screen while keeping the certificate: set a pattern lock and try to unlock the phone with a "bad pattern" for 5-10 times, it will show you an error message, now select "Forgot Pattern?" and enter your gmail/password. After these steps the screen lock will be removed without removing the certificate.

It took me a few tries but does work with no lock screen now.

OMG...Thank you for this!

NoLuckKn

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Tried it today with my new Droid Maxx. No luck at all. Not sure if I am setting it up correctly though. My fist time trying to do this with any phone. I hope someone has better results than I.

NoLuckKn

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
If someone has the Droid Maxx and knows how to make it work, I would love to know how. I guess I need step by step instructions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC