Does PDANet/FoxFi work?

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

The developers asked me to test this out for the Droid Maxx to see if it works. It did, and I hope to see them release it in an update soon. For those who want to try it out early, here you go.

Install:
1. Uninstall PdaNet+ and FoxFi from your phone
2. Install the attached PdaNet+ apk file.
3. Bring up menu in PdaNet+, select "hash code", enter "MT" and Save.

Now turn on FoxFi and it will ask you to do a manual step. Do that and the wifi hotspot will be usable.

Note: The name and security key you have set in the FoxFi app no longer works. you will have to set it in your phone's actual hotspot settings.

This was successful on Android 4.2.2 with the new software update from Verizon the other day.

I do not see the attached apk file

We are not on 4.2.2 any longer. The apk is in the OP. Not sure why it's getting bumped.

neng0327

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey there, tried it with my Droid Maxx Developer's edition and it worked. Wanted to ask two questions, first, connecting won't charge my hotspot usage since I had to configure the hotspot, right? Second, when you mentioned about the update did you mean Kit Kat update or PDANet update bcuz I've been postponing Kit Kat OTA for a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
If you update to KitKat you will NOT be able to use the WiFi connection through PDANet/FoxFi. However you can still use the bluetooth and USB connections. Using that app you should not be charged the regular hotspot fees unless you are already signed up for that

billy backstay

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I got my Straight Talk phone to be wifi spot for Acer laptop, but free version only works at 1G, so pages take a long time to load. If I purchase FoxFi and pdanet, instead of running the Free versions, how fast will my 3G phone work as hotspot? Walmart tech says Straight Talk phones are supposedly disabled from this working, even with FoxFi and pdanet hacks?

Any experiences or advice appreciated. Need to use laptop at work since work computers are filtered and monitored by CSC.

Thanks!!

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I got my Straight Talk phone to be wifi spot for Acer laptop, but free version only works at 1G, so pages take a long time to load. If I purchase FoxFi and pdanet, instead of running the Free versions, how fast will my 3G phone work as hotspot? Walmart tech says Straight Talk phones are supposedly disabled from this working, even with FoxFi and pdanet hacks?

Any experiences or advice appreciated. Need to use laptop at work since work computers are filtered and monitored by CSC.

Thanks!!

First of all, what phone are we talking about? This section is specific to the Droid MAXX.

At any rate, in general my experience with 3G has been speeds of 1-4 mbps. With a solid connection, I've had a desktop computer tethered and done clear 720p Skype. Should also be fine for some Netflix, etc, though it might occasionally scale back quality to avoid buffering. But that all depends on the quality of your carrier, connection, and phone.

Sean_N69

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
It does work; and it does so beautifully! In order for this app to work properly you need to install the companion on the device you're trying to connect to. PDaNet has multiple Apks for Apple products, Android products such as tablets, and they have Apks for desktops. Both your phone and the paired device need to have Bluetooth capabilities, otherwise this won't work. You first start the app on your phone with Bluetooth turned on, then you connect it to your device using the Apk you installed on it. I'm not sure if it will work on chromecast, and it doesn't seem to work for streaming apps such as Netflix or youtube—but this is probably because the WiFi is turned off. However; if you were to use the actual Web page as opposed to the apps then it will work (as it turns out)! I think this is because apps such as Netflix look for a WiFi connection before they start up and WiFi is not being used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781