No LED Light on Droid Maxx?

dspcap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Am I nuts or is there no LED light on the Droid Maxx? It seems like the phone goes on and off instead of a light, is that accurate?

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
That is correct as far as I know. You don't need one!
Most would agree a LED is more useful. When you could actually leave your phone face up and see from across the room that you got a notification/missed call since the last time you turned your phone on...

I know Motorola is going all in on its 'Active Display' but I wish it would still have a LED. Perhaps a more advanced version of NoLED will allow a continual notification, as the default 'Active Display' is based on phone pickup only (or immediately after event).

rnd0209

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Most would agree a LED is more useful. When you could actually leave your phone face up and see from across the room that you got a notification/missed call since the last time you turned your phone on...

I know Motorola is going all in on its 'Active Display' but I wish it would still have a LED. Perhaps a more advanced version of NoLED will allow a continual notification, as the default 'Active Display' is based on phone pickup only (or immediately after event).

Actually if there is a notification the active display lights up only the amount of pixels it needs too and it shows the notifications every 5-10 seconds. Haven't counted yet. Lol. If there is no notifications then it reacts to movement.

Posted via Android Central App

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Active notifications is the best feature ever, you dont need notification led, You will not miss it when you start using active notifications, Looks for active display notifications tutorial on youtube for moto x its awesome.

rnd0209

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
For what period of time?

Not sure. Haven't counted. I was doing something and received a text and kept looking over my shoulder at the phone just sitting there and the notification lit up every time a looked over. Must have been about roughly 5 seconds.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Not sure. Haven't counted. I was doing something and received a text and kept looking over my shoulder at the phone just sitting there and the notification lit up every time a looked over. Must have been about roughly 5 seconds.p
What I mean is, if you got a new email 20 minutes ago, is the thing still turning on every few seconds for 20 minutes? Also, all the videos seem like the fade in/out isn't completely smooth on the Moto X, how is it on the Droid?

I also wonder if this will contribute to burn-in. AMOLED is pretty susceptible to burn-in, my RAZR MAXX HD had status/button bar burn in within a few months.

rnd0209

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
notifications on the display keeps breathing every 5 secs, it does that for ever until you address the notifications or dismiss them.

What he ^ said. Its until you actually clear them. Just like an LED notification light. Just observed it by having a friend text me.

Burn in.... Not likely. This is an OLED screen not a pentile like the RAZR HD.

The active notifications are as smooth as butter on my DM.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Using LightFlow on my RMHD I have different colors for different types of notifications. I can see what I have from across the room. And a quick glance at the phone lets me know if I have a message because the blink rate is 1/sec or faster. Whatever I have the custom rate set to. If the active display only comes on every 5-10 seconds that doesn't seem as useful as you have to stare at the phone longer. Of course I haven't used it myself so I'm only surmising.

If you have the phone in your pocket and you pull it halfway out will the screen come on from that little movement?

rmjones2006

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
If you have the phone in your pocket and you pull it halfway out will the screen come on from that little movement?

Yes, the phone will light up when you pull it out of your pocket; however I think it has to have a pretty large orientation change for it to light up. I say this because I put the phone in my pocket and held my pocket open and looked at the display of the phone to see if it was lit up while I was walking around at work

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
There is an led but it only shows when the battery is not charged enough to actually light the display. There is no notification led otherwise.

I'm still figuring out active display. I haven't had all that much time to play with the phone since I got it, as I spent most of the day driving after I upgraded.

rnd0209

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
The RAZR HD was a OLED screen with a PenTile subpixel arrangement. OLED can and does suffer from burn in.

Yeah, so glad they moved away from the PenTile subpixel arrangement...yuk!

Correct. The screen on the DM is AMOLED. Sorry for the confusion. It is known that the Sammy amoleds can and do get burn in that is why the first update on the GS4 was to make the notification bar the same color as the wallpaper to avoid screen burn in.

I myself never experienced screen burn in on any smartphone I've ever owned. Maybe that is because I don't keep them long enough. Lol.

elvis692

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Boooooo! Having young kids I use the different colors from across the room to evaluate if I need to respond or not. Hopefully there will be an update to change colors and frequency of notification reminders?!?!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey