Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts

Default No LED Light on Droid Maxx?

Am I nuts or is there no LED light on the Droid Maxx? It seems like the phone goes on and off instead of a light, is that accurate?
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dspcap View Post
    Am I nuts or is there no LED light on the Droid Maxx? It seems like the phone goes on and off instead of a light, is that accurate?
    That is correct as far as I know. You don't need one!

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Default Re: No LED Light on Droid Maxx?

Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    That is correct as far as I know. You don't need one!
    Most would agree a LED is more useful. When you could actually leave your phone face up and see from across the room that you got a notification/missed call since the last time you turned your phone on...

I know Motorola is going all in on its 'Active Display' but I wish it would still have a LED. Perhaps a more advanced version of will allow a continual notification, as the default 'Active Display' is based on phone pickup only (or immediately after event).

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
    Most would agree a LED is more useful. When you could actually leave your phone face up and see from across the room that you got a notification/missed call since the last time you turned your phone on...

I know Motorola is going all in on its 'Active Display' but I wish it would still have a LED. Perhaps a more advanced version of will allow a continual notification, as the default 'Active Display' is based on phone pickup only (or immediately after event).
    Actually if there is a notification the active display lights up only the amount of pixels it needs too and it shows the notifications every 5-10 seconds. Haven't counted yet. Lol. If there is no notifications then it reacts to movement.

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by rnd0209 View Post
    shows the notifications every 5-10 seconds.
    For what period of time?

Active notifications is the best feature ever, you dont need notification led, You will not miss it when you start using active notifications, Looks for active display notifications tutorial on youtube for moto x its awesome.
    gamefreak715 likes this.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

For what period of time?
    Not sure. Haven't counted. I was doing something and received a text and kept looking over my shoulder at the phone just sitting there and the notification lit up every time a looked over. Must have been about roughly 5 seconds.

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Not sure. Haven't counted. I was doing something and received a text and kept looking over my shoulder at the phone just sitting there and the notification lit up every time a looked over. Must have been about roughly 5 seconds.p
    What I mean is, if you got a new email 20 minutes ago, is the thing still turning on every few seconds for 20 minutes? Also, all the videos seem like the fade in/out isn't completely smooth on the Moto X, how is it on the Droid?

I also wonder if this will contribute to burn-in. AMOLED is pretty susceptible to burn-in, my RAZR MAXX HD had status/button bar burn in within a few months.

notifications on the display keeps breathing every 5 secs, it does that for ever until you address the notifications or dismiss them.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guesswhat_567 View Post
    notifications on the display keeps breathing every 5 secs, it does that for ever until you address the notifications or dismiss them.
    What he ^ said. Its until you actually clear them. Just like an LED notification light. Just observed it by having a friend text me.

Burn in.... Not likely. This is an OLED screen not a pentile like the RAZR HD.

The active notifications are as smooth as butter on my DM.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts

Something new to get used to... Like the screen, it's sharp.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Burn in.... Not likely. This is an OLED screen not a pentile like the RAZR HD.
    The RAZR HD was a OLED screen with a PenTile subpixel arrangement. OLED can and does suffer from burn in.
    Quote Originally Posted by dspcap View Post
    Like the screen, it's sharp.
    Yeah, so glad they moved away from the PenTile subpixel arrangement...yuk!

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Using LightFlow on my RMHD I have different colors for different types of notifications. I can see what I have from across the room. And a quick glance at the phone lets me know if I have a message because the blink rate is 1/sec or faster. Whatever I have the custom rate set to. If the active display only comes on every 5-10 seconds that doesn't seem as useful as you have to stare at the phone longer. Of course I haven't used it myself so I'm only surmising.

If you have the phone in your pocket and you pull it halfway out will the screen come on from that little movement?
    pingb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
    If you have the phone in your pocket and you pull it halfway out will the screen come on from that little movement?
    Yes, the phone will light up when you pull it out of your pocket; however I think it has to have a pretty large orientation change for it to light up. I say this because I put the phone in my pocket and held my pocket open and looked at the display of the phone to see if it was lit up while I was walking around at work

There is an led but it only shows when the battery is not charged enough to actually light the display. There is no notification led otherwise.

I'm still figuring out active display. I haven't had all that much time to play with the phone since I got it, as I spent most of the day driving after I upgraded.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

The RAZR HD was a OLED screen with a PenTile subpixel arrangement. OLED can and does suffer from burn in.

Yeah, so glad they moved away from the PenTile subpixel arrangement...yuk!
    Correct. The screen on the DM is AMOLED. Sorry for the confusion. It is known that the Sammy amoleds can and do get burn in that is why the first update on the GS4 was to make the notification bar the same color as the wallpaper to avoid screen burn in.

I myself never experienced screen burn in on any smartphone I've ever owned. Maybe that is because I don't keep them long enough. Lol.

Does the active notifications have different colors for different notifications? Email, text, voice mail etc

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elvis692 View Post
    Does the active notifications have different colors for different notifications? Email, text, voice mail etc
    No. Its all white text with photo of sender of text when you swipe up.

Boooooo! Having young kids I use the different colors from across the room to evaluate if I need to respond or not. Hopefully there will be an update to change colors and frequency of notification reminders?!?!

LOL...Why do all you people keep your phone across the room? /s
    Droid Maxx
    Running 4.4 Kit Kat

US Navy CPO Ret

Away from the kids! On silent!

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

I am the same way.. at home I set the phone on a counter or table and glance at it as I walk by.. using aokp I pick different colors for different notifications / red or blue - check now, green or white.. can wait. Hopefully active notifications can work in a similar maner once this phone is rooted and has some custom roms baked for it..

Boooooo! Having young kids I use the different colors from across the room to evaluate if I need to respond or not. Hopefully there will be an update to change colors and frequency of notification reminders?!?!
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts

I was shocked to get this and no LED..... after using it for the day, I get the active notifications now..... still miss LED.

It will be a unique experience going from the rmhd with a giant led to the dm with none!

It will be a unique experience going from the rmhd with a giant led to the dm with none!
    It really is but I don't mind. I also activated the Sleep assist and my active notifications turn off during those hours so its awesome. Not that this couldn't be done before though.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast