Insanely bright button backlight?

tritium

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I replaced my (awful) Galaxy Nexus with a Droid Maxx today. I'm really happy with every aspect of the phone except one: the button backlight is stupidly bright by comparison to the screen on dimmest. One of the great things about OLED screens is how dim they can get and how pleasant to use in a pitch-dark room they are. This advantage is negated by having glaringly bright lights shining through the buttons at the bottom. The Kindle app doesn't seem to disable them, and I could not find a setting to make them turn off after a timeout.

Does anyone know a way to get them to turn off?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Screen Filter is a bit old, but it's still worth a try. With my old Droid Incredible, it could turn off the hardware key backlights, as well as dimming the screen below the lowest stock setting. Be aware, though, that screen dimming apps can weirdly interfere with the Install button for Amazon Appstore--but it's fine as long as you turn off the filter.

tritium

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I already checked app called "Night Mode" that can do the same thing. Whatever API works for phones doesn't seem to do the trick for the new droids

artdeguzman

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Screen Filter is a bit old, but it's still worth a try. With my old Droid Incredible, it could turn off the hardware key backlights, as well as dimming the screen below the lowest stock setting. Be aware, though, that screen dimming apps can weirdly interfere with the Install button for Amazon Appstore--but it's fine as long as you turn off the filter.

Screen Filter is a no go. I think it may be because these are hard coded capacitive keys vs. Soft keys. I didn't notice the menu lights before... now I can't stop looking at them. Thanks.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I too despise the bright buttons. I love how the galaxy s4 has them set to turn off after a while. I'm sure an update will fix this.

I'm using GravityBox via xposed framework to disable the button backlight.

Sent from my XT1080m using AC Forums mobile app.