Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

Default Great phone - buggy software

So far I am loving my Maxx. But have found several bugs. I am sure they will get fixed. I have had the Touchless Controls activate about 10 times without me even speaking. It's always in a loud environment (restaurant last night and then again while watching TV with my surround system pretty loud). Also, the Assist feature kicked in at midnight last night to silence my phone but then the notification sounds for Hangouts and other apps didn't return this morning. A simple reboot seemed to fixed the problem. Have also noticed that using Motorola Connect through Chrome on my PC screws up notification sounds. Again... reboot fixes it. My new Withings Pulse also has issues communicating with the phone via Bluetooth. Anyone else notice issues?

UPDATE: Motorola just published an update to the Touchless Controls in the Google Play Store.
    Last edited by jameskk1; 08-21-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Default Re: Great phone - buggy software

I haven't had any of these problems.

Did you install the initial software update? That may be what that was for.

Regarding touchless controls getting activated, try retraining the "ok google now" phrase again in a quite but not in a completely closed/small room, ghost triggers of touchless control should get really better with that.

Quote Originally Posted by jameskk1 View Post
    So far I am loving my Maxx. But have found several bugs. I am sure they will get fixed. I have had the Touchless Controls activate about 10 times without me even speaking. It's always in a loud environment (restaurant last night and then again while watching TV with my surround system pretty loud). Also, the Assist feature kicked in at midnight last night to silence my phone but then the notification sounds for Hangouts and other apps didn't return this morning. A simple reboot seemed to fixed the problem. Have also noticed that using Motorola Connect through Chrome on my PC screws up notification sounds. Again... reboot fixes it. My new Withings Pulse also has issues communicating with the phone via Bluetooth. Anyone else notice issues?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Noggle View Post
    I haven't had any of these problems.

Did you install the initial software update? That may be what that was for.
    YES!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guesswhat_567 View Post
    Regarding touchless controls getting activated, try retraining the "ok google now" phrase again in a quite but not in a completely closed/small room, ghost triggers of touchless control should get really better with that.
    yeah I've trained it twice, both times in a quiet area... might try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by jameskk1 View Post
    Do you know if there's any way to turn off the touch less controls? I just don't like talking to my phone and don't think I'd use that feature. Especially not in public..

Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamefreak715 View Post
    Do you know if there's any way to turn off the touch less controls? I just don't like talking to my phone and don't think I'd use that feature. Especially not in public..

yes you can turn it off under Touchless Controls in settings

You must activate it before it works so you're fine. Its just like enabling Google Now. There is also a section dedicated to it in the Settings menu. (I believe as I was checking it last night)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Haven't had any of these issues. So far this phone is awesome!

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

Public is the best place to use it. Everyone is amazed and impressed at what I can do with my phone. They bow down and worship me. They. . . Yeah, public is not somewhere I'll be using touches controls. I haven't had any issues with it auto activating though.

My main location for using it will be my car. I hope they increase the available commands. It would be nice to have the ability to launch any app with it. Too bad it's not feasible to make the app respond as well.

Settings>Touchless Control

Just uncheck the first checkbox for touchless control. There is also a setting to have it work only when the display is unlocked, but that kind of defeats the purpose of it IMHO.

This thread seems like a good place to mention this. I just tried using the HDR button on the phone and it crashed. I switched over to HDR, the picture froze for about a minute, unfroze, took a picture then rebooted. I went to the camera app to take a look and it wasn't there. I took another picture with HDR, turned it off and everything's been fine. But a crash in the first 24 hours isn't very promising.

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nec3f View Post
    This thread seems like a good place to mention this. I just tried using the HDR button on the phone and it crashed. I switched over to HDR, the picture froze for about a minute, unfroze, took a picture then rebooted. I went to the camera app to take a look and it wasn't there. I took another picture with HDR, turned it off and everything's been fine. But a crash in the first 24 hours isn't very promising.
    I just took several with no issue.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

I'm just curious if the phone is laggy/stuttery at all. The RAZR HD was plagued with lag (due to the Moto Power Saving Script) when other devices with similar hardware were much smoother. The GS4 has a healthy amount of animation stutter too. The smoothest devices I've used have been Nexus devices...and the HTC One...

Since there is a Power Saver switch, I wonder if this thing is buttery smooth with it off...

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
    I'm just curious if the phone is laggy/stuttery at all. The RAZR HD was plagued with lag (due to the Moto Power Saving Script) when other devices with similar hardware were much smoother. The GS4 has a healthy amount of animation stutter too. The smoothest devices I've used have been Nexus devices...and the HTC One...

Since there is a Power Saver switch, I wonder if this thing is buttery smooth with it off...
    I have not experienced any stuttering at all, unlike my S4. Im really sensitive on that kind of stuff. So far, its been butter!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

Just noticed a Touchless Control app update in the Play Store... downloaded and installed it. The publisher was Motorola Mobility

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by crosserb View Post
    I have not experienced any stuttering at all, unlike my S4. Im really sensitive on that kind of stuff. So far, its been butter!
    Sweet. That is good news. I'm torn between the Droid MAXX & HTC One, time will tell.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Im new to the android world. I have actually only had my HTC one for 2 days now. I am not a causal user. I am a power user. I also have a jailbroken iPhone 5. I have been able to find most (with a few I greatly miss), tweaks in the play store. I mainly was switching for a larger screen size. I have been playing with it for the past 2 days, and I have found that the quality of the apps and the android OS is somewhat poor. Granted, many are cheap or free, but my phone is much more buggy than my jailbroken iPhone 5. I was also switching hoping to reduce an occasional bug on my iPhone (may be once every two days). I am now deeply disappointed by the increase in bugs. The HTC one is great except for the following reasons: it has a dead pixel, when its CPU clocks up it really burns through a ton of battery (unlike my iPhone) - I notice little to no difference in speed. Additionally, I hear static coming through the speakers when the notifications come in sometimes and the music is playing.

I am against samsung as a company, most people have no clue of their business tactics. I don't want to get into it, but nevertheless I don't like the cheap plastic of the S4 anyway.

What bothers me is how buggy the software is to get it to run like my iPhone (e.g., firewall, antivirus, battery controls, presets based on time, DND, etc, etc...) This phone becomes a buggier-mess. Stock android is so bland, I can't get by on it, just like vanilla iOS. Even still, the keyboard is subpar and touch sensitivities and etc are not ideal. It really needs work on the touch responses.

I really love the design of the phone, but I feel the OS ruined it. I think HTC made a phone that is even more beautiful than my iPhone 5.
    I considered rooting, but that voids my warranties so (H-no).
    Does anyone who has been on the other side share my issues with it? You really have to have been there to understand what I mean. What do you recommend?

BTW- as an example, I just picked up my phone and I have a call. For some reason it answered it when I bumped the edge of the screen. Im on ATT and waiting on the latest update. I still have 12 days to return it.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan k1 View Post
    Im new to the android world. I have actually only had my HTC one for 2 days now. I am not a causal user. I am a power user. I also have a jailbroken iPhone 5. I have been able to find most (with a few I greatly miss), tweaks in the play store. I mainly was switching for a larger screen size. I have been playing with it for the past 2 days, and I have found that the quality of the apps and the android OS is somewhat poor. Granted, many are cheap or free, but my phone is much more buggy than my jailbroken iPhone 5. I was also switching hoping to reduce an occasional bug on my iPhone (may be once every two days). I am now deeply disappointed by the increase in bugs. The HTC one is great except for the following reasons: it has a dead pixel, when its CPU clocks up it really burns through a ton of battery (unlike my iPhone) - I notice little to no difference in speed. Additionally, I hear static coming through the speakers when the notifications come in sometimes and the music is playing.

I am against samsung as a company, most people have no clue of their business tactics. I don't want to get into it, but nevertheless I don't like the cheap plastic of the S4 anyway.

What bothers me is how buggy the software is to get it to run like my iPhone (e.g., firewall, antivirus, battery controls, presets based on time, DND, etc, etc...) This phone becomes a buggier-mess. Stock android is so bland, I can't get by on it, just like vanilla iOS. Even still, the keyboard is subpar and touch sensitivities and etc are not ideal. It really needs work on the touch responses.

I really love the design of the phone, but I feel the OS ruined it. I think HTC made a phone that is even more beautiful than my iPhone 5.
    I considered rooting, but that voids my warranties so (H-no).
    Does anyone who has been on the other side share my issues with it? You really have to have been there to understand what I mean. What do you recommend?

BTW- as an example, I just picked up my phone and I have a call. For some reason it answered it when I bumped the edge of the screen. Im on ATT and waiting on the latest update. I still have 12 days to return it.
    Do you realize this is a Droid Maxx forum??? This is not the place to discuss for find answers for issues with your HTC One. Go here for those discussions. You will also find most of the people here are Verizon, b/c the Maxx is exclusive to them.

Also, to answer your question, it sounds to me like you just don't care for the OS, just go back to using an iPhone.
    Thanked by 2:
    gamefreak715 likes this.

Oh sorry, I just googled HTC One Buggy fixes. I was trying to see if it is a general issue or specific. I clicked on the link, and I see many issues. Well, I can't wait until a company can get together to make a beautiful metal phone and great software. In the words of my dad after using my One: "I guess technology just isn't there yet." Gr...

iPhone troll...

The HTC One is what the iPhone 5 should have been.

The Maxx is a different, but comparable beast to the One.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Physically, I agree with you about the HTC (with the exception of the static sometimes).
    Software wise, for the most part it is not "there yet."
    Clearly I use both of them, and also I am not a troll. I don't appreciate that talk. The software and some of the third party software is somewhat buggy- it lacks polish as well.
    Somewhat more buggy, than was my jailbroken iPhone. Im running 4.1.2, waiting on ATT for updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan k1 View Post
    Physically, I agree with you about the HTC (with the exception of the static sometimes).
    Software wise, for the most part it is not "there yet."
    Clearly I use both of them, and also I am not a troll. I don't appreciate that talk. The software and some of the third party software is somewhat buggy- it lacks polish as well.
    Somewhat more buggy, than was my jailbroken iPhone. Im running 4.1.2, waiting on ATT for updates.
    That is your biggest problem. The Verizon version of the HTC One has a newer version of Android without any bugs. I have both the Verizon HTC One and the Droid Maxx and the One has no bugs at all. I have also used iPhones that were jailbroken and I can honestly say that not one of the iPhones I have used even comes close to the One or the Droid Maxx. I know alot of iPhone users that tried Android and they always preferred the simpler technology that the iPhone offers. Most iPhone users should just stay with an iPhone because they can't grasp the intricacies of being able to completely customize a phone. And you don't have to root an Android phone to have more control that with the iPhone.

I can grasp it. Im very computer knowledgable. I have learned the system to a large extent in about 2 days. Im now assessing crash reports. I am very computer literate. Yes, I want to root so badly, for a few more things... I just can't imagine possibly having a 600.00 paperweight. My warranty specifically denies coverage for rooting, but not jailbreaking. Let me give you a list of my ongoing bugs.
    I would just like to know if I am not alone, or if these were fixed in 4.2.2- which I have no access to right now...

In two days:
    Random connection disconnects, in play store especially- it will say try again. I click it and it works
    Slow down in browsing about 25% of the time it will take a while to load- it has plenty of RAM I have checked.
    Play store instead of selecting, it will highlight it. I click repeatedly in desperation.
    Random goggle now activation
    Random non-touch responsiveness that cause me to have to click it multiple times (I enabled the developer settings to be sure it was actually getting recognition- the circle shows it is in the correct spot)
    Sometimes music will stop playing on its own, only twice so far
    -When I try to click the play button, it won't play... Until it gets a minute. As if it was telling me to hold on...
    I have turned off vibration feedback, but sometimes it turns itself back on
    I have looked at the crash reports, to my knowledge these issues are not because of third party software.

There might be a need to de-poltergeist. None of this happens to me.

Sent from a Droid Maxx.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast