Wireless Charging

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Whoever said the temperature of the phone when placed on the dock has a big impact was correct. When I set my phone in the charger (Ghost 100) when at normal temperature it goes only to about 100 degrees or so.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

thafngame

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Thumbs up for the Tylt Vu. I've had mine for a couple days and it works flawlessly with no tweaking. By tweaking, I mean I don't have to adjust the Maxx on the charging pad to line up the charging areas. This was a problem I had been experiencing on the Incipio Ghost "Droid" branded charger being sold in the Verizon stores. The larger charging surface area of the Tylt is much preferred for the larger Droid Maxx and I enthusiastically recommend it.
Where did you purchase your Tylt Vu and does it also work in landscape with the Droid Maxx???? Really considering getting one of these but just curious if it works well in landscape as well. Thanks

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the Tylt Vu and I love it! You don't have to be picky about placing the phone, it works in landscape or portrait and best of all my phone doesn't get hot. The highest I have seen it is 94 degrees. I purchased mine from Verizon. Yes I have the Droid Maxx.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Where did you purchase your Tylt Vu and does it also work in landscape with the Droid Maxx???? Really considering getting one of these but just curious if it works well in landscape as well. Thanks

big red - Set Your Location

edit - was looking at reviews on youtube and there was mention of temperatures between 98-103 degrees and also some buggyness. That wasnt specifically on a d.maxx

Last edited:

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I got a Tylt Vu from REI.com of all places. Caveat, they only had three green one. **** ugly, but works fine with the Maxx and new Nexus 7.

One negative to the Vu is that it puts out a lot of noise on the electric socket it's plugged into. Wreaks havoc with AM radio I have plugged into the same outlet.

I liked the Vu enough that I ordered a couple more from Verizon so I could have in black.

Sent from my Droid Maxx, the bigger, better, longer lasting cousin of the Moto X.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I got a Tylt Vu from REI.com of all places. Caveat, they only had three green one. **** ugly, but works fine with the Maxx and new Nexus 7.

One negative to the Vu is that it puts out a lot of noise on the electric socket it's plugged into. Wreaks havoc with AM radio I have plugged into the same outlet.

I liked the Vu enough that I ordered a couple more from Verizon so I could have in black.

Sent from my Droid Maxx, the bigger, better, longer lasting cousin of the Moto X.

I was surprised to find it there as well, uh dividend. For future readers, they are currently backordered.

Posted via Android Central App

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
going to provide an update...after using the nokia dt-900 charger on the maxx the past few days to recharge from 50-60%, i havent experienced any crazy overheating . maybe its because i am putting it on the platform when its cool, maybe because i am aligning it properly, and maybe because i am not charging it from 5% (that would have to take 10 hours + to fully charge i would guess). i dont have any actual temperature readings - just that it doesnt feel even close to hot, but definitely warm like when its being used fairly heavily. the slow wireless charge time is an annoyance, so i only use it for charging the remaining 50% or so. if i run the battery down its definitely being wire connected.

PS - if you buy three dt-900's from at&t they are only $18.xx each.

Last edited:

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the Nokia wireless charger since at the time I was using a otter box and the ghost wouldn't charge my phone. I have noticed that the phone charges at
around 100? to 111? with this charger. Now I don't have much experience with wireless charging but in comparison to my S4 using AC the temp was about the same for the duration of the main charge. I was thinking of heading to my local Verizon store and asking them about a different wireless charger to see if the results would be different. Wireless charging is a huge convenience but not at the cost of it damaging a device that I plan on keeping for at least 6 months. So what do you all think return the charger for a different one or stick to AC charging ?

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much because, the amount of time it will take to damage the battery will be significantly longer than you will have the phone. My Droid RAZR got uncomfortable to hold when I used it for a long time, and it is still functional today over a year and a half later. I have seen my Droid Maxx get up to 112F max on the Ghost charger, but I'm not worried. It had to build up to that and it started coming down right after that. The battery lasts a long time and even if the battery loses some of its ability to hold a charge it won't matter. It will still last all day. In two years or less, I'll have another phone. If I was planning on having this phone for 3 years or longer I might think about it. Any quality battery should perform well for 2 years, even with marginally high temps. There are always exceptions, but I wouldn't worry about it. Just use the phone the way you want to and replace it when it is time.

Last edited:

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I would like to know if having a case on the phone increases the temp. Would like to see someone charge with case on and case off and report if there is a difference. Live in Phoenix AZ so some days if you are just outside the temps are up to 117 or more so I would tend not to worry about 105

Edit: Bought the Ghost 100 and dropped the phone on it and it started to charge immediatly. Didnt get too hot and was never uncomfortable to touch. Nexus 7 charges well on it also. I givve it a thunbs up.

Last edited:

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much because, the amount of time it will take to damage the battery will be significantly longer than you will have the phone. My Droid RAZR got uncomfortable to hold when I used it for a long time, and it is still functional today over a year and a half later. I have seen my Droid Maxx get up to 112F max on the Ghost charger, but I'm not worried. It had to build up to that and it started coming down right after that. The battery lasts a long time and even if the battery loses some of its ability to hold a charge it won't matter. It will still last all day. In two years or less, I'll have another phone. If I was planning on having this phone for 3 years or longer I might think about it. Any quality battery should perform well for 2 years, even with marginally high temps. There are always exceptions, but I wouldn't worry about it. Just use the phone the way you want to and replace it when it is time.

Your right.. I probably won't have the phone more than six months and I doubt any serious damage will happen. I just not sure if I should keep the Nokia charger or aim for the tilt or even the ghost

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So I now have the ghost 100 and the Nokia wireless charger the temps while charging are the same. Quite possible this is the characteristic of the device

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Seems to be the nature of the beast, I charged mine using the zens charging pad, put it on the other night with 16% battery remaining. Checked it at about 65% and temperature was 98. I went to sleep at that point, wasn't going to get concerned about a slight temperature increase.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Btravelen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
TYLT Vu gets my vote. Been using one for the last 48 hours and it runs cool and looks cool.

I just opened my order of 2 black TYLT chargers, his and hers.. :cool:

I have a 'Kool Pad' from Amazon. My wife has been using it since getting her Maxx and it does run cool. Good to know the TYLT does, as well. The space under the charger likely helps with air flow.

Seems like there is a delay in the availability of name chargers. Likely, more and more devices will be wireless.. Palm had another great idea..Take Care

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm looking for an update from the TYLT VU owners out there...how is the charger working for you (temps, alignment ease, etc.)?

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the Tylt Vu and I like it a lot! My phone never gets hot. The highest I have seen in 94 degrees. You can just lay your phone on there and don't have to worry about alignment at all. Well worth the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC