1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    783 Global Posts

Default Did my first ISIS transaction tonight using the MAXX

Summary: As long as you're a Chase or an American Express card holder, you will not miss Google Wallet.

Setting up ISIS for the first time, you'll register a new account, and wait for a text message that will activate your ISIS account. The process of adding a card is integrated with each bank, with confirmation codes to ensure you're adding a card you own. This is definitely something you'll want to set up at home before going out and buying stuff with your phone.

Once you're set up, activate the card you want to use as your ISIS payment, and as long as the green ISIS icon is in the notification area, your phone is good to tap-to-pay.

In my case, I paid for my groceries at Whole Foods, tapped my phone and it was done. If you've used Google Wallet, the experience is really no different other than you don't see a virtual receipt generated to acknowledge the transaction on the ISIS side. You get a simple confirm screen showing that a charge was completed.

ISIS has some seriously bad politics surrounding it, and fundamentally I'm still unhappy about the monopolistic practices -- but as a Verizon customer, I should be used to this by now. But we've been waiting for a Verizon approved version of mobile payments for a long time now, and that day is finally here. Go ahead and give it a shot. Credit due here - the ISIS product is very well thought out. Some nice incentives in there as well for paying with it.

Default Re: Did my first ISIS transaction tonight using the MAXX

What kind of incentives can you get?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    783 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    What kind of incentives can you get?
    3 free Coca-Cola drinks at ISIS enabled Coke machines, and a bunch of Houston and Salt Lake City specific offers (e.g. 16oz drink at Austin Java for $1 if paid with ISIS). But a good tasting of some of the incentives coming nationwide as ISIS picks up steam (T-Mobile is getting ready to launch next).
    Thanked by:

Anybody know of a way to install Google Wallet?

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alee View Post
    3 free Coca-Cola drinks at ISIS enabled Coke machines, and a bunch of Houston and Salt Lake City specific offers (e.g. 16oz drink at Austin Java for $1 if paid with ISIS). But a good tasting of some of the incentives coming nationwide as ISIS picks up steam (T-Mobile is getting ready to launch next).
    I can't remember what company it was for, but many years ago there was a commercial that showed a girl walk up to a coke machine and buy a coke with her cell phone. That was at least 10 years ago. As fast as technology develops, it is interesting how some things take longer than others.

Now I need to find an Isis enabled coke machine.

Posted via Android Central App

What about for folks without Chase or American Distress?

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by alee View Post
    Summary: As long as you're a Chase or an American Express card holder, you will not miss Google Wallet.

Setting up ISIS for the first time, you'll register a new account, and wait for a text message that will activate your ISIS account. The process of adding a card is integrated with each bank, with confirmation codes to ensure you're adding a card you own. This is definitely something you'll want to set up at home before going out and buying stuff with your phone.

Once you're set up, activate the card you want to use as your ISIS payment, and as long as the green ISIS icon is in the notification area, your phone is good to tap-to-pay.

In my case, I paid for my groceries at Whole Foods, tapped my phone and it was done. If you've used Google Wallet, the experience is really no different other than you don't see a virtual receipt generated to acknowledge the transaction on the ISIS side. You get a simple confirm screen showing that a charge was completed.

ISIS has some seriously bad politics surrounding it, and fundamentally I'm still unhappy about the monopolistic practices -- but as a Verizon customer, I should be used to this by now. But we've been waiting for a Verizon approved version of mobile payments for a long time now, and that day is finally here. Go ahead and give it a shot. Credit due here - the ISIS product is very well thought out. Some nice incentives in there as well for paying with it.
    So far I'm not impressed. When I used Google Wallet on my Galaxy Nexus, I had options for the types of payment options I attached to my wallet account. I use neither American Express, or Chase. So at this point, ISIS is rather useless.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by LocationDudeNYC View Post
    What about for folks without Chase or American Distress?
    I think that is a great question. When Wallet only allowed for Citi cards, they at least offered the option of loading money onto a Google gift card.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    783 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pauldroidr2d2 View Post
    So far I'm not impressed. When I used Google Wallet on my Galaxy Nexus, I had options for the types of payment options I attached to my wallet account. I use neither American Express, or Chase. So at this point, ISIS is rather useless.
    Which is why I said it is only good if you use Amex or Chase.

Google Wallet supported all cards by losing money... all cards are tucked behind a virtual MasterCard which does all the work. They paid per transaction for both the virtual and the actual credit card charge.

The Amex integration is actually putting a virtual Amex card on the bank side, not with Google. Likewise with Chase.

Allegedly new partners will allow other cards this year if you look at their Twitter feed. I've done a few payments now with ISIS and can say fundamentally it does a reasonable replacement of the Google Wallet which VZW will never let me have.
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    783 Global Posts

Looks like the next card to be supported is a reloadable card from Amex Serve (serve.com). So much like Wallet was a MasterCard play, ISIS is very Amex centered so far.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    783 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phathands View Post
    Anybody know of a way to install Google Wallet?
    Not until there's a root for the phone. Also unclear to me how the secure element interaction changes (if at all) being on the SIM.

I signed up for the AMEX Serve card through ISIS and it gave me $50 free. I am getting money off the purchases when i use it and when i use it to buy drinks out of the vending machine at work every 4th purchase is free.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by SPilat6069 View Post
    I signed up for the AMEX Serve card through ISIS and it gave me $50 free. I am getting money off the purchases when i use it and when i use it to buy drinks out of the vending machine at work every 4th purchase is free.
    I don't understand why anyone is having trouble with GW. I just downloaded GW and ISIS from the play store and both work fine on 4.4 Maxx. Both show in settings under tap and pay and both ask to be made your primary payment method if the other was used last. I can fund IsIs with my Master card and also it will use my Amex. (IsIs won't load my Fidelity Amex card)

I like wallet better because you can just load all the cards you want. They don't have to be Amex.
    But the point of this post is you can DL Google Wallet and use it on a Maxx if the Maxx has been upgraded to 4.4. I did hear that it was a new version of GW so I did not install it till I had the OTA 4.4 update.

Been using Isis for a few weeks and it's been flawless. Will try GW next but it's a no brainer to use Isis with Amex serve until 1/31 as they give 20% back on every purchase (up to $200).

Posted via Android Central App

I tried to use it at Home Depot. Kept saying it went through on my phone but the cashier never saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by SPilat6069 View Post
    Yep I too signed up for the AMEX Serve card and got free $50 and I can load it directly from my bank account when needed. I did try GW and could not get it to work, but it could be something that I am doing. ISIS however was simple after setting it up. Walk into McDonalds, place my order, tap my phone and pay, and the little girl behind the counter says "Oh that is so cool" LOL.
    Droid Maxx
    Running 4.4 Kit Kat

US Navy CPO Ret

Went to my local McD's to get coffee and they don't have ISIS even though the app says they do.