Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mjhubbard
  • 3 Post By Cincybearcatfan
  • 1 Post By 1901Madison
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Maxx Plus Juice Defender = Wow

So I figured what the hell. 3500 mA Battery can only go so far, lets see what Juice Defender does with it.

At the end of a day of heavy use (2.5 Hours screen time between 8 AM and 6 PM for me) I was at 75%. Ill try to do some more scientific sampling latter, but I would love to hear if any one else is getting stupidly long battery life from something like juice defender + the Maxx
    rjr1209 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    Carrier
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Default Re: Maxx Plus Juice Defender = Wow

Sounds like you have a winner there. I've been thinking about trying one of these apps for awhile. I just may.

Did you notice anything different about how smooth the phone ran? Did the touchless stuff still work?

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

I gave up on JD a LONG time ago. It made my Gnex run terribly. It had a hard time handing off and turning on and off 4G/3G, wifi. It was a hot mess to put it lightly. The whole idea to having this phone is being able to stay away from "mico-managing" apps, bluetooth, data, wifi, GPS etc. Using the Maxx has been a freeing experience.

Truly, without ever plugging my phone into my car charger (which I have to resist the urge EVERYTIME I get into my car due to other phones I've had), without ever turning off GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS or ANYTHING and without ever thinking, "Oh crap, I'd better watch my usage, I have to make it the rest of the day", after 15 and 16 hours off of charger I've ALWAYS had at least 30% of my battery left when I go to bed at night.

Juice Defender? Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincybearcatfan View Post
    I gave up on JD a LONG time ago. It made my Gnex run terribly. It had a hard time handing off and turning on and off 4G/3G, wifi. It was a hot mess to put it lightly. The whole idea to having this phone is being able to stay away from "mico-managing" apps, bluetooth, data, wifi, GPS etc. Using the Maxx has been a freeing experience.

Truly, without ever plugging my phone into my car charger (which I have to resist the urge EVERYTIME I get into my car due to other phones I've had), without ever turning off GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS or ANYTHING and without ever thinking, "Oh crap, I'd better watch my usage, I have to make it the rest of the day", after 15 and 16 hours off of charger I've ALWAYS had at least 30% of my battery left when I go to bed at night.

Juice Defender? Meh.
    I agree wholeheartedly...

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

Quote Originally Posted by Cincybearcatfan View Post

Juice Defender? Meh.
    This sums up everything that I want from the device. On days that I know are going to be long, I will no longer have to worry about a spare battery, or where I am going to plug in -- all the while using all of the functionality on my phone. That is freedom.

Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts
    Carrier
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhubbard View Post
    So I figured what the hell. 3500 mA Battery can only go so far, lets see what Juice Defender does with it.

At the end of a day of heavy use (2.5 Hours screen time between 8 AM and 6 PM for me) I was at 75%. Ill try to do some more scientific sampling latter, but I would love to hear if any one else is getting stupidly long battery life from something like juice defender + the Maxx
    Juice Defender caused a lot of connectivity issues for me. It functions by shutting off radios for specified intervals when the screen is off. then It'd (try) and turn them on when you woke the screen up, hopefully without you noticing...I noticed.

I'd keep the app on your phone, may come in useful if your ever dropped into the Jungle with Bear Grylls, but the phone just works better without it.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I ended up turning it off. I can't seem to actually get the battery Iow enough without it to justify it.if I were going to be on a military exercise again, I'll probably give it a try. But for now, I don't have enough free time even on a Saturday to get the phone bellow 20%.

To me, Juice Defender, or any other similar battery app, is for people who have the HTC One, S4, Nexus 4, etc. Isn't the whole point of spending big money on the MAXX so that you no longer have to worry about conserving battery? My number one issue with any phone is the battery life. When I had a S3, I bought the Mugen extended battery and had it on the whole time. It was ugly, but it was the only way for me to get through an entire heavy usage day without any concern for battery life and needing to find a charger. I switched to Verizon just for the MAXX and couldn't be happier. There is absolutely no need to worry about things like battery apps, screen brightness, syncing intervals, turning connections off, etc. This is total freedom to use a phone as it should be used. I love it.
    JimBen73 likes this.

Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mjhubbard View Post

Have you tried running without JD? I am at that percentage at that time without it. By 11PM I might be in the high 60's. right now I am 8 hours on battery with 58 minutes of screen time, and at 89%.

Not knocking JD, just not sure its really needed.

Had great luck with onexuan one battery guard on my galaxy nexus. Thinking about installing on my droid maxx.

Been trying to not leave phone on charger overnight and only top it off to 90% as needed (for longevity reasons).

Sent from my XT1080m using AC Forums mobile app.

Quote Originally Posted by jfriend33 View Post
    Been trying to not leave phone on charger overnight and only top it off to 90% as needed (for longevity reasons).
    Sounds like you are doing the opposite of what you should to prolong your battery's life. Li-Ion likes to be kept full, and your phone will stop charging when it reaches full, so leaving it on the charger does no harm to it.
    18t

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

The joys of no longer worrying

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by 18t View Post
    The joys of no longer worrying

Posted via Android Central App
    I completely agree - I plug my phone in every night, but it's wonderful to not think about the battery at all. I might get down to like 40% by day's end, and I use my phone quite a bit. With my RAZR, I would often need to charge some mid-day to make it through the evening.

I used to use Green Power. I found it always worked better than JD. Since the Maxx, I have not installed it and I could not be happier. I enjoy my phone so much more now that I do not have to worry about my battery all the time. With my use, I do not get the 2 days other people are getting but I get a whole work day which is what I was hoping for. I could not be happier.