Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Earpiece speaker volume low?

First off, this is a fantastic device. However, I am now on my second one and find I am having the same issue. I returned my first Maxx because the earpiece speaker seemed extremely low and almost unacceptable outdoors. I figured it was just that particular device so I got my replacement device today and even at the max volume it still seemed extremely low as compared to all my previous phones last one being the razr Maxx. Anyone else notice this, any fixes? After all this is a phone first and foremost and is kinda bad for business calls.

Default Re: Earpiece speaker volume low?

I've been using it for the past few days on business calls while Bluetooth synched to my Psiaton 210 BTNC headset. Volume has been normal for me. Can't tell the difference between the headset being connected to my DM for work or S3 for personal calls.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Coming from a Note II this absolutely is low. I've even tried wired Bose IE2 and the sound is still low. Bluetooth has been fine so far though. Skype calls are loud through the ear piece and headset. Makes me think this is software related.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4
    Optimus Prune likes this.

I agree. It seems quite low. My RAZR MAXX was far louder.

ROM
    Something Jelly

I do agree it's lower than my gnex. I do, however, like it because when the significant other is lecturing me about who knows what, the rest of the room doesn't get to enjoy as well.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

This is disappointing to 'hear'...

ROM
    Shiny

This is definitely disappointing. My GNex was way too low and this is supposedly lower? Maybe I won't be going for the Maxx.

I too think the ear piece speaker is a little on the low side.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Noticing same issue on the Mini coming from Droid Razr.

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

The demo unit that I tested prior to purchasing at VZW was low, but the one that I ended up purchasing is very loud. I am very satisfied with it.

I guess I have never had a earpiece speaker that was really loud. It is as loud as the last two variations of the maxx. I was in a very loud truck the other day and had no problem hearing the other person but I have to admit that when I'm on my phone in a vehicle that I am almost always on a Bluetooth device.

Posted via Android Central App
    OD, DX, D3, Bionic, Nexus, RAZR Max and Nexus 7

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

I use mine every day at the gym...it seems perfectly normal

Mine is also low compared to previous phones. I was hoping it would be louder. Maybe I'll ask someone at vzw to see if it's a known issue yet or not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Mine is extremely low also thinking of taking it back, could have sworn it was louder when I got it a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bigs View Post
    Mine is extremely low also thinking of taking it back, could have sworn it was louder when I got it a few days ago.

I tested mine right after I bought it and the volume was very low. Tested it after the ota update and no change. I may take it up to the store to have them make a test call on another device to compare. It very well could be a software issue.

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Today I was on a call and could barely hear them I don't remember this when I got the phone a few days ago. To make matters worse my Jawbone Up isn't compatible. Unfortunately this phone might be going back until straightened out. :-(

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

It is extremely disappointing, like I said this is my second device and same low ear speaker. I have to jam it against my face to hear people. I really don't want to go through the return process, nor are there any other phones I want so I may just deal with it. Hoping it's a software issue but more likely than not it's hardware. I had to hold my RAZR Maxx away from my ear when it was on max volume because it was so loud. Same with the Droid X. This device is awesome, just pissed that the basic feature of actually being a phone is less than stellar. VZ day they have no record of these issues, go figure.

ROM
    Shiny

The more places I read about the Maxx the more I see people complaining about this. This really blows. I was about to pick this phone up but I need it to be usable as a phone in server rooms that are a little loud. I am shocked that a Motorola device would have this issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

I have no problems with mine

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Well that's fantastic, I would bet that a 3rd replacement device will probably have the same issue and it doesn't seem like I am alone with this issue.

when your "in call" you can press the volume up button and it'll increase the volume of the call..

Yes I understand that. May be a game changer unfortunately, I don't really want HTC one but I need to talk on a phone.

this may be a shot in the dark, but when you notice the volume problems, are you guys by any chance on headphones or bluetooth? just finding out that there's some volume reducing feature in android 4.2 to protect hearing. here's the thread, the info is on the last page towards the bottom How do I disable the unsafe volume warning?

Quote Originally Posted by JimBen73 View Post
    I have no problems with mine

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX
    At what volume level can you comfortably hear? Anything below max level on mine is pretty low volume...

Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    this may be a shot in the dark, but when you notice the volume problems, are you guys by any chance on headphones or bluetooth? just finding out that there's some volume reducing feature in android 4.2 to protect hearing. here's the thread, the info is on the last page towards the bottom How do I disable the unsafe volume warning?
    Thanks for the info. I have not personally tried using headphones. The low volume I've experienced has been purely at the earpiece. I will give headphones a shot.

Oh and fwiw, speaker phone is nice and loud, but some conversations aren't for public consumption lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast