Headphone jack microphone support? Square reader issues

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Just got my new Maxx yesterday. I use my phone for my business, including taking credit card payments with Square. I just went to take my first payment with the new phone, and it wouldn't recognize the card reader as being plugged in. Does the Maxx not have microphone support in the headphone jack?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Headphone jack microphone support?

I use my Bose IE2M as a microphone all the time.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

VMdoug

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a Jawbone UP and my Maxx won't recognize it at all. The UP also uses the headphone jack :-\

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Motorola customer support chat was worthless:

Zylly Hymn: Hi, my name is Zylly Hymn. How may I help you?
Me: I just picked up my new Droid Maxx last night. Now I find that it does not currently support Square. I need to know if Motorola intends to support Square with this device in the future. Otherwise I have to return the device and purchase a non-Motorola smartphone.
Zylly Hymn: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I will do my best to help you with your concern.
Me: I operate a business and have to be able to accept credit card payments. I can get by for a little while if there is an update being developed.
Zylly Hymn: What do you mean about the Square feature on the phone?
Me: It is a credit card payment accessory. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=https%3A%2F%2Fsquareup.com%2F&token=E8-kqJ62
Me: Per your website, it is not currently supported: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...er_detail/a_id/95459/p/30,6720,8882/kw/square
Me: Nearly every Android smartphone supports this device, it baffles me that the new Moto devices don't.
Zylly Hymn: You may open the website on the browser to accept payment.
Me: That doesn't help any. I need my credit card swiper to work with my phone.
Zylly Hymn: I apologize, Jonathan. Would you like to use the phone to connect your credit card swiper?
Me: Yes, I would like to use my Square credit card reader with my Maxx. I see it is currently not supported. I need to know if I should expect an update eventually to support it, or if I need to return my Maxx.
Zylly Hymn: The phone doesn't have the port where you can connect the credit card reader.
Me: Yes, it does. It uses the headphone jack.
Zylly Hymn: The phone supports 3.5 mm jack. You may try that however, we cannot guarantee if that will work or not on the phone.
Me: Can I speak with someone who knows what I am talking about?
Zylly Hymn: They will also tell you the same thing.
Me: Ok, I will return the phone and Motorola will lose my business
Zylly Hymn: I apologize, Jonathan.
Zylly Hymn: Would there be anything else?

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if this is a hardware problem or a software problem. Surely they thought about this?? Indeed, this could be a deal breaker for small biz that accepts credit cards. That extra cost of manually entering, not to mention the time...

Optimus Prune

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Motorola customer support chat was worthless:

That was one pathetic conversation.

LOL on "Can I talk to someone else who knows what I'm talking about?"

Answer, "They'll tell you the same thing."

Translation, "No one else here has a clue, either."

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
An update from Matt, the forum manager, just now:

Matt, can you tell us if this is a hardware or software problem? That makes a difference since we can hope for a solution if it is software...thx.
His reply:
Given that the team says it's something we're looking at adding, it has to be software, right?

Above that he says it's on the radar screen, but that's it. No committments or promises. But since it's software, at least I can hope they'll address this before too long if the biz community screams enough.

davinci27

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend everybody on this post go over and add to the post on the motorola board. I see this as a big failure for a top of the line piece of hardware. We need to make sure motorola notices that people are unhappy about it.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a PayPal reader with white stripes on jack ..that seems to be working OK for me ..they are couple of types of PayPal readers out there

Last edited:

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Paypal has shipped a white stripe reader to me, fingers crossed. Tues or Wed is my "drop-dead" date, 14 days after purchase. Hoping it'll come before then. I prefer Square, but Paypal is actually .05% cheaper per transaction, so I can live with a little more hassle and/or learning a different system if it means I can keep this sweet phone based on more than just hoping Motorola gets the issue fixed.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Paypal has shipped a white stripe reader to me, fingers crossed. Tues or Wed is my "drop-dead" date, 14 days after purchase. Hoping it'll come before then. I prefer Square, but Paypal is actually .05% cheaper per transaction, so I can live with a little more hassle and/or learning a different system if it means I can keep this sweet phone based on more than just hoping Motorola gets the issue fixed.

Did that work for you?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech