1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Default Bedside mode?

I've used my phone as an alarm clock for a couple of years now using the bedside mode and dock. I haven't seen anything saying this phone has a media/bedside mode. Does it have one? Right now I'm just plugging the phone in and it sits there being useless while I'm in bed! lol

Default Re: Bedside mode?

yes it's called daydream. It's buried in the settings, where i forget at the moment. but you can set it to turn on while plugged in.

Daydream is in the display settings.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Do capacitative lighted buttons ever shut off in daydream mode?

Quote Originally Posted by shouldbmtnbikn View Post
    Do capacitative lighted buttons ever shut off in daydream mode?
    Check in the Bug thread, but the answer seems to be "Umm, sometimes". I've finally given up and decided Active Notifications are a better way of finding out the time anyways. As long as I have to lift my phone to see the time, I'd rather just be able to grab it and have the phone blink just the time at me. If it's in day dream mode and I grab the phone I have to be careful I don't touch the screen or it'll light up and blind you in the middle of the night.

They've got some serious work to do on daydream mode. I'm hoping they're just laying down the functionality and leaving it up the the devs to write the apps that'll will actually be useful. As it stands, it's not just buggy (the buttons staying on, sometimes) it's just not well thought out. For example, in daydream mode (IMO) the screen shouldn't light up unless you hit the power button, that way you can grab the phone to look at it with the risk of lighting up the screen.
    It might even be nice if you had the ability to navigate the unlocked phone with the super dim screen, that's something to think about as well.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Ok, I'll have to check out this Daydream. Motorola has had good bedside modes in the past, don't know why they mess with it. I downloaded an alarm clock to get a bedside mode, but my experience with these apps is they never seem to work right, including the one I've tried on the Maxx.

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Payne78 View Post
    Ok, I'll have to check out this Daydream. Motorola has had good bedside modes in the past, don't know why they mess with it. I downloaded an alarm clock to get a bedside mode, but my experience with these apps is they never seem to work right, including the one I've tried on the Maxx.
    That's what they do. The Car Dock App sucked when I had a Droid X. After some revisions, the Droid RAZR had a great Car Dock app. Now the Droid Maxx has nothing and I had to make it work the way I wanted. Not only that, on my RAZR, there was once a feature to start the alarm at a low volume and raise it. That was great. After some updates, it was removed. I remember the first day after my update being jerked out of sleep by the stupid alarm. I thought Android was about choices, not removing features and leaving users to figure out a way to get them back. Don't get me wrong, it's a better OS than the alternatives. I just wish more thought was put into the removal of a feature that is very useful. So many features are going away or are gone like capacitive buttons (thank God the Maxx still has them), micro SD, menu button, car dock app, removable battery, etc. It's turning into an iPhone.

The next Droid will be the Verizon Googlerola iDroid. I'm joking of course, and we'll all adapt because the only alternative it to keep your outdated phone that does what you want. Growing pains suck though, and sometimes change is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiplg View Post
    Not only that, on my RAZR, there was once a feature to start the alarm at a low volume and raise it. That was great. After some updates, it was removed. I remember the first day after my update being jerked out of sleep by the stupid alarm.
    Have you checked out ? It has a nice UI, and multiple options for alarms.

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

I use alarm clock extreme free.

It has a a lot of settings and it lets you solve puzzles or math problems to snooze or dismiss the alarm. For hard sleepers, it's nice.

It's a great alarm clock app

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2