Maxx is starting to get noticed!

Stilly1155

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I just got the Maxx yesterday. The reason I decided to upgrade from my GNex was purely the fact that I wanted something new!

First thing I did was go to my loacal VZ store and just hold and cuddle and play with this phone. Well it didn't take long for me to realize with my big hands that it just fit well. Now on to the reasons I didn't wait for the MotoX.

This phone as opposed to the GNex was number one one battery life. And number two was the radio's not to mention wireless charging. As most of you know Samsung's radios are inferior to Motorola's. That being said the only other thing I wanted to compare to the S4 was the software. Oh my the sammy sucked at the store big time! even the VZ salesperson was having a hard time making the S4 do the things it was advertised to do. The touch wiz only worked part of the time and the phone was lagging as we just tried simple tasks.

To make a very long story short I came home with the Maxx and as time goes by I believe we will see more positive reviews on the Maxx. I'm already starting to see more folks that review phones liking this phone.

Just do a Google review search like ZDnet. :cool:

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
. That being said the only other thing I wanted to compare to the S4 was the software. Oh my the sammy sucked at the store big time! even the VZ salesperson was having a hard time making the S4 do the things it was advertised to do. The touch wiz only worked part of the time and the phone was lagging as we just tried simple tasks.

I really wanted to like the S4, and it has its strong points. For me, the battery, while good, was not good enough to support all the features being on all the time, and many of the cool features just don't work well. I also did not like the clutter of the settings menus. There were too many things I could not find. For me, stock android is more intuitive.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I just got the Maxx yesterday. The reason I decided to upgrade from my GNex was purely the fact that I wanted something new!

First thing I did was go to my loacal VZ store and just hold and cuddle and play with this phone. Well it didn't take long for me to realize with my big hands that it just fit well. Now on to the reasons I didn't wait for the MotoX.

This phone as opposed to the GNex was number one one battery life. And number two was the radio's not to mention wireless charging. As most of you know Samsung's radios are inferior to Motorola's. That being said the only other thing I wanted to compare to the S4 was the software. Oh my the sammy sucked at the store big time! even the VZ salesperson was having a hard time making the S4 do the things it was advertised to do. The touch wiz only worked part of the time and the phone was lagging as we just tried simple tasks.

To make a very long story short I came home with the Maxx and as time goes by I believe we will see more positive reviews on the Maxx. I'm already starting to see more folks that review phones liking this phone.

Just do a Google review search like ZDnet. :cool:

Another believer. The people that post against it have either never used it (and usually nexus / gsm anti-verizon Zionists) or are Samsung plants. Anyone who's used it knows what a smooth device it is.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
it's an excellent phone, but other people's reaction to it has thus far been negative and has fallen in 2 categories:

1. they comment how huge the phone is (most common reaction) and/or 2. they comment how they just prefer apple products for one reason or another

I was talking to a verizon rep at a store, and when i brought up how much better moto radios seem than samsungs (coming from a gnex), she told that her samsung S4 has the best radio.

I don't really argue with people anymore. At least i don't have to explain that it's an android phone but not a droid anymore, ha! But yea, it's the best phone out there, save for the lack of root. But most people won't appreciate it.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
it's an excellent phone, but other people's reaction to it has thus far been negative and has fallen in 2 categories:

1. they comment how huge the phone is (most common reaction) and/or 2. they comment how they just prefer apple products for one reason or another

I was talking to a verizon rep at a store, and when i brought up how much better moto radios seem than samsungs (coming from a gnex), she told that her samsung S4 has the best radio.

I don't really argue with people anymore. At least i don't have to explain that it's an android phone but not a droid anymore, ha! But yea, it's the best phone out there, save for the lack of root. But most people won't appreciate it.

Just give up talking to reps. EVERY rep on EVERY carrier I have talked to has never been on the same page with me about devices. I feel like I am educating them minus their 'I know everything' attitudes. Only thing they are good for is general information about plans or specials.

Posted via Android Central App

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Just give up talking to reps. EVERY rep on EVERY carrier I have talked to has never been on the same page with me about devices. I feel like I am educating them minus their 'I know everything' attitudes. Only thing they are good for is general information about plans or specials.

Agree. You always have to question a rep's (or anybody in sales) motivation when pushing a particular device, even when what they are saying does not make sense. For example, VZW may need to clear some inventory of a particular model, so they could be running a sales contest to encourage reps to push one model over another. Since most customers are not well informed, it's can be easy for a good sales person to make up whatever they want to push what they need to push.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Agree. You always have to question a rep's (or anybody in sales) motivation when pushing a particular device, even when what they are saying does not make sense. For example, VZW may need to clear some inventory of a particular model, so they could be running a sales contest to encourage reps to push one model over another. Since most customers are not well informed, it's can be easy for a good sales person to make up whatever they want to push what they need to push.

It's frustrating when Verizon hires people irregardless of their knowledge of what they are selling. When I used to sell Verizon phones it was easy to separate my bottom line from getting what the customer needs, and in no circumstance would I push someone who knew their tech towards something inferior..

I tend to act stupid towards sales people, but only to have some fun. I'm actually thinking about going in and questioning them on the flaws of the phones they're pushing just to see their responses...

Optimus Prune

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm generally polite to the sales folks, but one day as I was trying to decide between the One and the Maxx the sales guy said, "Yeah, we were reviewing battery tests and the One beats the Maxx on battery life."

I was slightly dumbfounded. I looked at him and said, "There's no way in hell that's true. The Maxx has a 3500 mAh battery. There's no way the One has better battery life. None."

He hemmed and hawed a bit and said, "Well, we look at a lot of phones. It might've been another one."

Yeah, undoubtedly. But if you don't know with certainty don't open your mouth. Sheeeeee-it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, one of the reps I spoke with wasn't that bad, but when I asked her what phone she was using (she was also a new hire, and admitted she knew nothing about phones), she said "an iPhone, a 4s or a 5, I'm not sure which".

They were also out of Maxx's on release date and a guy kept trying to push me to an S4 because it had a flip cover...

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Oddly enough, my Verizon rep tried to push me towards the ultra. I went in and specifically asked for the maxx. He asked if I'd like to see the ultra instead. I was surprised that he was trying to push a less expensive phone. He tried several times to get me to try the ultra.

I finally asked him why he was trying to push the ultra over the maxx (considering its less expensive). "Do you get a better commission or something?", I asked him... He looked dumbfounded like he had no idea what I was talking about. He asked me why I wanted the maxx and of course I said cus of the amazing battery life. He tells me the ultra and maxx have almost identical battery life. I look at him like he's nuts and tell him that it's impossible based on the laws of physics for two devices running the same software but one with a 60% larger battery to have the same battery life. I was actually laughing at his comment during this exchange. Do they not teach their reps the most basic features or selling points of these devices?

I'm still not sure why he was pushing the ultra. I think he was just an I.diot.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Optimus Prune

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
He tells me the ultra and maxx have almost identical battery life. I look at him like he's nuts and tell him that it's impossible based on the laws of physics for two devices running the same software but one with a 60% larger battery to have the same battery life. I was actually laughing at his comment during this exchange.

Similar experience here except the rep was pushing the One and said it got better battery life than the Maxx. I just laughed and said, "No. There's no way in hell that's true." They don't know phones. They just no what to push. And it sounds like they're having problems keeping the Maxx in stock. My local store hasn't gotten any in at all yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I've said this before. Going into Verizon and expecting the CSR to know anything about phones is like walking into Walmart automotive department and expecting the CSR to know about cars.

Some might know about some things, others about others but the vast majority don't know anything and really don't care to.

We know more because most of us every 20 months or so research everything about every current smart phone available and make our choice based on fact, research and evidence. CSR ' s have new devices constantly in their stores and no desire to really delve deeper than that. They learn about 1-2 at a time, one of which is ALWAYS an iPhone and push 80% of those walking through their door to one of those two options. Laziness and apathy define most VZW CSR ' s.

Sent from my Droid Maxx by Motorola using Tapatalk 4.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's terribly surprising that they don't know much about their devices, but it's always interesting to hear what they say.

While I'm not surprised that they don't know as much as I do, I'm more surprised that Verizon doesn't push the managers harder on their training. I worked at an authorized retailer and every month was required to do online trainings on new product launches. I understand why some of them don't do it - they don't care about mobile technology. But overall knowledge of new devices would be greater if the managers would offer more incentive to complete trainings.

yenyob

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I could go on and on about vzw reps. Until recently, I rarely had issues with them. My favorite was about a month ago I went into a corporate store & inquired about the Edge program. Not that I will do it, but i wanted to find out more. So I asked the woman about it and she said they don't have any program like that. This wasn't rumor Btw, Verizon announced at that point. So she politely argued with me and I said, well, it's on Verizons home page. I opened it up on an iPad that was on display and she just replied, "oh". I gave up at that point. I felt bad for her that she didn't receive training on something that was officially announced. Many of us know so much more than them, which is weird because it's their job and our hobby. But then again, maybe that's why we know more. It's fun for us, not a job.

Optimus Prune

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Many of us know so much more than them, which is weird because it's their job and our hobby. But then again, maybe that's why we know more. It's fun for us, not a job.

True. If a bunch of people followed the industry happenings related to my job as a hobby, I'd probably resent them a tad and regard them as a little sick in the head. ;) They probably alternate between customers that can't figure out a swipe lock screen and those that have memorized test benchmarks and battery specs for every phone in the store.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
True. If a bunch of people followed the industry happenings related to my job as a hobby, I'd probably resent them a tad and regard them as a little sick in the head. ;) They probably alternate between customers that can't figure out a swipe lock screen and those that have memorized test benchmarks and battery specs for every phone in the store.

Hah, I feel like those of us who know every little spec about all their devices are their least-favorite customers...

It's hard to sell attachments to some people if they already know what they want and can't be scared into buying some of their overpriced accessories. Though, I still do sometimes since I always upgrade through a friend that works there and don't want to waste his time. Although he's still trying to sell me on the Bose speaker...

gamefreak715

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I went in to get my maxx activated today and the rep did manage to upsell me on a neat little Bose speaker which I wasn't even planning to buy but she demonstrated by it and I was really blown away and couldn't resist pulling out the plastic. Loving the new phone and speaker!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance