A bevy of odd quirks I've found

crsgardner

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Let me preface by saying I love this phone. Coming off several years of iOS (last used android in 2011) it's light years ahead. However, there are some oddities I just don't get. I don't know if these are Android bugs, Maxx bugs, a combination of the two or "features":

* Videos play in Gallery app, but no thumbnails are shown. I have to find them first in ES file explorer or Quickpic and then open them. What? This is after multiple rescans of media (more on that in a bit).
* No way to change the wireless charging sound.
* Motorola connect lets you reply to single senders but not multiple via computer.
* No automatic compressing of videos to send over MMS. What year is this? And no, I can't convince my 60 year old mother to download a special app for MMS or open an email every time I want to send a video of my niece. Why can't it just compress and send?
* Facebook contact sync flat out doesn't work. Had to download a separate app.
* Won't let you use the default mail program for gmail. Have to download a separate app (pretty sure this affects all Android phones, but what a silly requirement).
* There is no good way to sync contacts or calendars with Windows 8. Tried manual exchange setup against outlook.com and it only syncs down, not back up to the cloud. What? (Ended up going with a weird Google account/outlook.com hybrid approach).
* OK Google now won't create entries to the calendar you want, only Google's (despite the fact the calendar app remembers the last calendar you used).
* Can't tell Android to rescan media without separate app. Shouldn't this be a setting somewhere?
*Seems to be no way to mark multiple entries read in so the standard mail app (although maybe I'm just missing something).

shamo316

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
* Motorola connect lets you reply to single senders but not multiple via computer.
yea i hate that hopefully they can make that work i love the feature of moto connect

Yup same here im useing Haxsync works a lot better anyways

i kinda hate when you have a pattern lock on your phone and some touchless things you have to unlock your phone in order to do that action, maybe in a future update there can be a verbal password?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Let me preface by saying I love this phone. Coming off several years of iOS (last used android in 2011) it's light years ahead. However, there are some oddities I just don't get. I don't know if these are Android bugs, Maxx bugs, a combination of the two or "features":

* Videos play in Gallery app, but no thumbnails are shown. I have to find them first in ES file explorer or Quickpic and then open them. What? This is after multiple rescans of media (more on that in a bit).
* No way to change the wireless charging sound.
* No automatic compressing of videos to send over MMS. What year is this? And no, I can't convince my 60 year old mother to download a special app for MMS or open an email every time I want to send a video of my niece. Why can't it just compress and send?
* Won't let you use the default mail program for gmail. Have to download a separate app (pretty sure this affects all Android phones, but what a silly requirement).
* There is no good way to sync contacts or calendars with Windows 8. Tried manual exchange setup against outlook.com and it only syncs down, not back up to the cloud. What? (Ended up going with a weird Google account/outlook.com hybrid approach).
* OK Google now won't create entries to the calendar you want, only Google's (despite the fact the calendar app remembers the last calendar you used).
* Can't tell Android to rescan media without separate app. Shouldn't this be a setting somewhere?
*Seems to be no way to mark multiple entries read in so the standard mail app (although maybe I'm just missing something).

I am not familiar with Moto products, but I just wanted to say Welcome to the forums and Android!!

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
yea i hate that hopefully they can make that work i love the feature of moto connect

Yup same here im useing Haxsync works a lot better anyways

i kinda hate when you have a pattern lock on your phone and some touchless things you have to unlock your phone in order to do that action, maybe in a future update there can be a verbal password?

You can use Bluetooth trusted devices feature to keep your phone unlocked ..and use the touch less control seamlessly without having to unlock your phone

Posted via Android Central App

davinci27

May 23, 2011
Visit site

1)I have never need to tel Android to rescan media. It has always just done it automatically.

2) if you select multiple mail messages you will see a mail envelope at the bottom of the screen. That envelope will toggle the read/unread status.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

davinci27

May 23, 2011
Visit site

1) My videos have thumbnails no problem. It could be that the folder or one of the parent folder they are in has a .nomedia file. This would cause android to not pick it up. Disable Media Scanning in Specific Android Directories With a .Nomedia File

2) There are other services that supply the same features as moto connect. Take a look at mightytext. It's free and does mms as well as sms. It's a little clumsy with group messages as well.

3) I've never really had good luck sending videos with android. You could try reducing the video size before you take it and see if that works. Don't know where to set that though.

4) You shouldn't have to download a second app. Gmail is installed by default. I've never tried using a 3rd party for my gmail because the android gmail app has so many features that aren't available in any 3rd party apps.

5) The calendar isn't an android issue it's a google/microsoft issue. Google took out active sync support for their apps. I don't use windows so I can't really help you on that one. According to once source I found:
Microsoft removed the Google calendar support option in Windows 8 Calendar app using an update from March 26, 2013. How to Add Google Calendar to Windows 8

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
For the videos you can always hit the attachment icon in the message and choose Capture Video. I know it's a pain to do it like that, but it will record at a setting that you can send up to 1 minute I believe