Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By CrazyRussian007
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone miss the menu button on the bottom?

Thinking about selling my S4 for the Droid Maxx. After playing with on at a vzw store I noticed there is a multitask button on the right, center home button and back button on the left. Does anyone miss having the menu button?

I am unhappy with the call quality on the S4. The lag is annoying and bloatware is using up a lot of valuable ram / storage.

Pete

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

I have not missed the menu button but I'm coming from a Nexus 4 that didn't have one either. You get used to it...

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Anyone miss the menu button on the bottom?

The menu button on the MAXX is re-mappable to the recent button: short press on the recent button = recent apps, long press on the recent button = menu. I think this setup is much more convenient than having a dedicated menu button

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by 3:

That's exactly what I did. I was somewhat unhappy with my S4 for the same reasons, so I got the Maxx and sold my S4 on Craigslist. I missed the menu button for a couple days.. then got used to it and don't miss it at all anymore. Cheers!

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

Don't miss it at all. Tho I wish I could do menu being the short press and resent being the long press

Sent from my XT1080

I do not miss mine that was on my note2. It would wake the screen up and I didn't like that. I like having only the power key to wake the phone up..

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Is re - mapping done through settings? I didn't notice that set up on the store demo model.

Quote Originally Posted by russel5150 View Post
    I do not miss mine that was on my note2. It would wake the screen up and I didn't like that. I like having only the power key to wake the phone up..

It is rare that I have to use the power button. The phone knows when I pick it up, so I unlock from the active notification screen. I have only used the power button a couple times when the screen has timed out on me.

Quote Originally Posted by doublestack1 View Post
    Is re - mapping done through settings? I didn't notice that set up on the store demo model.
    It can be found in display settings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kurpaige View Post
    Don't miss it at all. Tho I wish I could do menu being the short press and resent being the long press

Sent from my XT1080
    I agree. I use menu way more often than recent.

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts

I use the menu button all the time. It I don't understand why it was removed. Not all apps have a menu button on screen, nor should they. I'd rather my screen be used for the app instead of common buttons, that's Apple's domain.

Viper81 thank you I have been missing that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiplg View Post
    I use the menu button all the time. It I don't understand why it was removed. Not all apps have a menu button on screen, nor should they. I'd rather my screen be used for the app instead of common buttons, that's Apple's domain.
    I agree and that's probably why they offered the option of mapping the long click of task list button to menu.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Happy it is still available. Now the only thing stopping me from upgrading is the handset volume. Seems a lot of folks are complaining they cannot hear the other party during a regular call. Perhaps it is a sweet spot issue. Will check it out during my next visit to vzw.. Thanks again for your help

Handset volume is low, but the back speaker.... The only phone I have ever had to turn down for being too loud.... Outside......

Sent from my DROID MAXX via Tapatalk 4.

I upgraded from a gingerbread phone and, after using the menu button for almost 4 years, yes, I did miss having it. After ten days I'm now used to the onscreen control. It doesn't take long to get accustomed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by doublestack1 View Post
    Happy it is still available. Now the only thing stopping me from upgrading is the handset volume. Seems a lot of folks are complaining they cannot hear the other party during a regular call. Perhaps it is a sweet spot issue. Will check it out during my next visit to vzw.. Thanks again for your help
    Noone complained that they couldn't hear during a regular call. The volume seems to be a bit lower than what we're used to. We have 2 Maxxes in my house and an S4. The Maxxes top volume is a bit lower than the S4 in my house. But you can definitely hear the caller. The volume could afford to be a tick louder.
    Ironically, the Maxx 's speaker is crazy loud. Might be the loudest in the industry.
    The best revenge against haters is massive success!

The call volume or me has been loud and clear... Coming from a note2, which was also loud and clear I haven't had any complaints since switching. My calls have been very clear.. One of the reasons I wasn't afraid to switch back from Samsung to motorola

Using my Moto Droid Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    I upgraded from a gingerbread phone and, after using the menu button for almost 4 years, yes, I did miss having it. After ten days I'm now used to the onscreen control. It doesn't take long to get accustomed to it.
    I added the menu function to the task button and love it. Does the same thing with one less button.

Thank you so much for posting this. I actually have apps where the Android version doesn't have any onscreen menu functionality because it relied on the menu key on the phone.

I find the call volume to be more than adequate and never noticed it being quieter than any other phone I've owned. The outside speaker though is preposterously loud for a phone. Considering it's easily adjustable, it's certainly not a problem, but every once in a while I'll try to play a quick video in public and forget that the volume is all the way up, and it can be a little embarrassing.