Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aue123
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Power cycle vs Hard reboot..

I got into a discussion (a few months ago) in the Razr HD Maxx forum and it was brought to my attention that a normal power down (just using the power button) was not really a cold boot, and to get a real reboot involved using the power button and volume rocker.

Just want to clarify what is best to recover memory in case of a memory leak or general maintenance to keep it running smooth.

How often do you folks do such things?
    Last edited by GMasonDragonDad; 08-31-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Default Re: Power cycle vs Hard reboot..

Turn off phone.. Hold Volume down + Power.. Release Power then a menu will show up , Volume down to choose ... Volume Up to select.. Goto Recovery ... Once you see the Droid laying on its back with door open or whatever.. Hold Volume up ... Press power button then another Menu comes up.. Volume up or down to choose and Power to select.. Choose Wipe Cache.. Hit power to select.. phone will reboot itself automaticly after choosing.. .. Maybe do that when you think the phone is getting "Slower" but I usually just do it once a month maybe alittle longer..

Quote Originally Posted by aue123 View Post
    Turn off phone.. Hold Volume down + Power.. Release Power then a menu will show up , Volume down to choose ... Volume Up to select.. Goto Recovery ... Once you see the Droid laying on its back with door open or whatever.. Hold Volume up ... Press power button then another Menu comes up.. Volume up or down to choose and Power to select.. Choose Wipe Cache.. Hit power to select.. phone will reboot itself automaticly after choosing.. .. Maybe do that when you think the phone is getting "Slower" but I usually just do it once a month maybe alittle longer..
    Thanks for this!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Are cache cleaning apps just as effective?

Sent from Droid Maxx
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

the method I posted clears all cache for all apps. so you don't have to manually do them all..
    phathands likes this.

I've tried holding volume down along with power for the reboot. I have not been getting a menu when I release the power all I get is the home screen which slowly fades out. What might I be doing wrong?
    18t

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sturm Rider View Post
    I've tried holding volume down along with power for the reboot. I have not been getting a menu when I release the power all I get is the home screen which slowly fades out. What might I be doing wrong?
    i havent tried myself but the phone needs to be off before you start anything. on my gnex you had to press in the middle of the volume rockers to get it to work. not sure if thats the case with the maxx or not (dont break your phone).

I do start with the phone off. I think I will wait till someone more knowledgeable then I am about this gives a firm answer.

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

power off.... press and hold volume down.... press and hold power button... wait 5 seconds... release power button... there's your menu

Posted via The Maxx

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

this is for the new 2013 droid maxx with the x8 system.. don't get it confused with the "RAZR maxx HD or RAZR maxx"

Posted via The Maxx

Global Posts
    1,007 Global Posts

Just pull the battery out oh wait cant do that lol I have a new Maxx and would like to know also

Quote Originally Posted by aue123 View Post
    the method I posted clears all cache for all apps. so you don't have to manually do them all..
    You can also do this by going into Storage under Settings and clicking the cache button. Clearing it through recovery makes Android "upgrade" all the asps upon reboot, but if you're just looking for extra storage space there's no need to do that.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

thanks dude, you are the best, you helped my day go much better