Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen scratches easily! Anyone else?

Picked up my Maxx last Thursday night (upgraded from Gnex). Between Thursday night and Saturday morning when I noticed a really obvious scratch on the screen, the phone was in my pocket or on a table/desk for probably 90% of the time. The rest of the time, it was sitting in my car cupholder or my wife was using it (in the car next to me). I now notice a handful of other more "hairline" scratches. Isn't this phone supposed to have Gorilla Glass? Anyone else experiencing this? I plan on going back to Verizon tonight and replacing the phone (because I love it otherwise), but I'm really taken aback by this scratching situation.

Default Re: Screen scratches easily! Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by damnyankees View Post
    Picked up my Maxx last Thursday night (upgraded from Gnex). Between Thursday night and Saturday morning when I noticed a really obvious scratch on the screen, the phone was in my pocket or on a table/desk for probably 90% of the time. The rest of the time, it was sitting in my car cupholder or my wife was using it (in the car next to me). I now notice a handful of other more "hairline" scratches. Isn't this phone supposed to have Gorilla Glass? Anyone else experiencing this? I plan on going back to Verizon tonight and replacing the phone (because I love it otherwise), but I'm really taken aback by this scratching situation.

No scratches at all. I'm going naked and keep it in my pocket most of the time.

Where are you located? Gorilla Glass is fairly strong against things like razors, but something like sand could scratch it up.

Going naked here for over a week with no scratches yet.

Sent from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

I'm nekkid too. no scratches .. I keep it in my pocket solo, but I try to pull out the lint before hand

Posted via The Maxx

Was anything else in your pocket with it? It is very resistant to scratches, but not impervious. Putting it in a pocket with keys, etc, would be a bad choice.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Screen protector day 1, always.

...case day 1 for me, too.
    sforsyth01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
    Screen protector day 1, always.

...case day 1 for me, too.
    This. If you don't want scratches, protect it. Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigRed79 View Post
    This. If you don't want scratches, protect it. Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof.
    I understand, but glass shouldn't scratch in an empty pocket. I'm very careful with my phone and never put it in my pocket with anything else. One scratch is deep enough that you can feel it if you just rub your finger over it. The others are very very minor (especially in comparison). Anyways, thanks for the responses.

Sounds odd. Yes, it is G Glass, not sure 2 or 3, we've gotten both as answers. I kept my Razr naked in my pocket and it looks new.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    Sounds odd. Yes, it is G Glass, not sure 2 or 3, we've gotten both as answers. I kept my Razr naked in my pocket and it looks new.
    Yeah, I'm really surprised. Especially after 1 day. I'm going back to Verizon tonight to see what I can do about it.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

That is odd. I've never had screen protectors on my Motorola phones, since the original droid. Only got very fine scratches on my Droid M. My Maxx is totally naked and will stay like that cuz it's so sexy that way.

Man first thing I buy is a zagg screen protector. Kind of expensive but worth it when it prevents damage

The glass isn't usually what scratches but rather the extra layer of chemical that does. Forgot what this layer does though.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

Yeah I have a couple of small and now one deep scratch on my new DM screen. However I am careless with my phones and I'm on vaca in myrtle beach right now and sand is everywhere around me. Lol. It is what it is!!

Posted via Android Central App

There was a good discussion, with good technical details, about scratching even gorilla glass on this thread at Droid Life: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...es-screen.html

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

I have the same issue. I was so careful (obviously not enough) and it always went into my empty pocket. I noticed what looked like a scratch in the middle of the screen and a definite scratch on the side of the screen where with a fingernail scrape you can feel the groove. First time I tried going naked with a phone, thinking the gorilla glass would be fine if I was really careful. Nope. So I put a screen protector on it and I'll deal with it. Love the phone though.

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damnyankees View Post
    I understand, but glass shouldn't scratch in an empty pocket. I'm very careful with my phone and never put it in my pocket with anything else. One scratch is deep enough that you can feel it if you just rub your finger over it. The others are very very minor (especially in comparison). Anyways, thanks for the responses.
    Have kids?
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

Yup. It's off limits though.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Same issue with mine. Went to the VZW store and was basically told to buzz off and told I was an irresponsible owner.

Called VZW and escalated it and was told the same thing.

Love the phone, love the battery, hate the screen weakness.

This is my fifth Android phone, and everyone of them has had a "screen scratches easily" thread here. I never use screen protectors, and keep my phone in my pants pocket (all by itself, always!) and have never had scratches on any of them. I had my gnex for 18 months with only super fine swirl marks that were barely visible.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,336 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yes! Your screen can get scratched.
    Yes! Your screen can get scratched.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by FrogVomit View Post
    This is my fifth Android phone, and everyone of them has had a "screen scratches easily" thread here. I never use screen protectors, and keep my phone in my pants pocket (all by itself, always!) and have never had scratches on any of them. I had my gnex for 18 months with only super fine swirl marks that were barely visible.
    You've gotten lucky. I keep my pockets empty and the one time I tried doing this the screen scratched. I must have had pocket sand but no idea where that would have come from. I am new to screen protectors though as I used to use pocket pouches. I use a gel case now so a screen protector was necessary.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using AC Forums.

Yeah I have got to say that if this is the new Gorilla Glass on the MAXX they need to go back to the old. I had my Bionic for over two years and never put a screen protector on it and always carried it in my pocket, sometimes with sand in it from cutting grass, and to this day it has not one scratch on it, not even a micro scratch. But today I have noticed on my DM there are two tiny scratches and I have been babying this thing since it's kind of new. Are we sure it really has Gorilla Glass?
    Droid Maxx

US Navy CPO Ret

Quote Originally Posted by perkdog65 View Post
    Yeah I have got to say that if this is the new Gorilla Glass on the MAXX they need to go back to the old. I had my Bionic for over two years and never put a screen protector on it and always carried it in my pocket, sometimes with sand in it from cutting grass, and to this day it has not one scratch on it, not even a micro scratch. But today I have noticed on my DM there are two tiny scratches and I have been babying this thing since it's kind of new. Are we sure it really has Gorilla Glass?
    Yes, the Droid Maxx and Ultra has Gorilla Glass.

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/p...rilla/motorola

Sent from my Droid Maxx using AC Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast