Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeigaGen
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best external battery?

I want to buy an external battery that can charge the Droid Maxx. I will rarely use this but I want one in case our power goes out or something along those lines. What does everyone use or have used in the past? I was looking at the 9000 mah Samsung which seems like a good choice.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Default Re: Best external battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    I want to buy an external battery that can charge the Droid Maxx. I will rarely use this but I want one in case our power goes out or something along those lines. What does everyone use or have used in the past? I was looking at the 9000 mah Samsung which seems like a good choice.

If you think you're going to be using it that rarely just hop in your car and charge it.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    If you think you're going to be using it that rarely just hop in your car and charge it.

True. I probably wouldn't use it that often. Still a nice safety net though although an unnecessary one. Hah

** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post

I have had a ZAG 6000 mah battery for a few years and have only really used it a hand full of times. The only downside with keeping this for an emergency is that mine will discharge over time. If I charge it fully and keep it in my back-pack, it will be dead and useless in about a month or 2 without recharging. I find that the best use for me is to charge it when I expect I may need to use it when I know I will be away from a charger for an extended amount of time.

There are a lot of cheap ones on Amazon (I personally use a NewTrent 7000mAH that was $40 or so). Unfortunately I don't own any "name brand" battery packs, as I don't want to dish out so much for them. For those that have one, what's your charging rate look like? I feel like my device charges slowly with my battery pack.

But I also rarely use mine. I just charge it up before a vacation or day-long outing when I might need it, or someone else may need it.

ROM
    Kang/CM10

This one is the one I got:
    Amazon.com: LuguLake 6000mAh Qi -Enabled Inductive Wireless Charger Charging Pad; Supports For Samsung NOTE 3, Galaxy S4 ; Nokia Lumia 920, Lumia 820; HTC Droid DNA, HTC 8X, HTC Rzound; Google Nexus 4, Google Nexus 5; LG D1L, LG LTE2; Sharp SH-07D, S

By far the best investment I could get with my Maxx. It has Qi wireless charging capabilities as well as wired connection with a storage of 6000mAH.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1
    Thanked by:
    Eclipse2K likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by SeigaGen View Post
    Amazon.com: LuguLake 6000mAh Qi -Enabled Inductive Wireless Charger Charging Pad; Supports For Samsung NOTE 3, Galaxy S4 ; Nokia Lumia 920, Lumia 820; HTC Droid DNA, HTC 8X, HTC Rzound; Google Nexus 4, Google Nexus 5; LG D1L, LG LTE2; Sharp SH-07D, S

That looks like an excellent option! Thank you.

By far the best investment I could get with my Maxx. It has Qi wireless charging capabilities as well as wired connection with a storage of 6000mAH.

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts

I might consider this Lug thing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    783 Global Posts

If we're talking power outages and contingency power, this thing is awesome. I used one of these and a few of the smaller Amazon Anker 5000mAh batteries during Hurricane Sandy. Worked out great.

I bought the Anker Astro 3E 10000mAh and have liked it a lot. It's $40 on Amazon. It might be too big for some, but it's about the size of the Maxx (a little longer and thicker, but not too much) Originally bought for my GNex and haven't had a need for it with my Maxx, but would def recommend it. Great for travel.

Amazon.com: Anker Astro 3E 10000mAh Portable High Capacity Dual-Port External Battery Power Bank Backup Charger for iPhone 5, 4S, 4, iPad 4, 3, 2, Mini, iPods (Lightning Adapter not included), Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Note 2, HTC One, EVO, Thunderb

New Anker Astro E4 13000 MaH deal below from Amazon.

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Just wrote my review on the LuguLake. I also was able to do a full charge on the maxx work the lugulake from under 10%.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4
    Motorola Droid Maxx

CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

Quote Originally Posted by kckadow View Post
    New Anker Astro E4 13000 MaH deal below from Amazon.

That's a great deal. I paid $60 for their 14400 mAh model and like it a lot. Charges all the tablets and phones I have. I take it on the road with me and never worry about my Note 8.0 or S3 losing power.

Sent from a Droid Maxx.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kckadow View Post
    I bought the Anker Astro 3E 10000mAh and have liked it a lot. It's $40 on Amazon. It might be too big for some, but it's about the size of the Maxx (a little longer and thicker, but not too much) Originally bought for my GNex and haven't had a need for it with my Maxx, but would def recommend it. Great for travel.

Amazon.com: Anker Astro 3E 10000mAh Portable High Capacity Dual-Port External Battery Power Bank Backup Charger for iPhone 5, 4S, 4, iPad 4, 3, 2, Mini, iPods (Lightning Adapter not included), Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Note 2, HTC One, EVO, Thunderb
    I've had good luck with the E3 as well. Haven't used it with my Maxx yet, just my old Thunderbolt. It is heavy through. I keep it in my computer bag when traveling, so its not an issue.
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by SeigaGen View Post

I am new with the Maxx. The link does not say the charger is compatible with the Maxx, but from your post am I correct in assuming that it is compatible?
    ~Janet~

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post
    I am new with the Maxx. The link does not say the charger is compatible with the Maxx, but from your post am I correct in assuming that it is compatible?
    I'm able to use it on my maxx with no issues. the Maxx has the standardized Qi Enabled charging built in. So if you see anything Qi Enabled, it will work with the Maxx. Just look at the output though, because that depends on how fast of a charge you will get. The one I reviewed gives off a 1000 mAh output charge with 6000 mAh capacity. So that's a relatively decent charge compared to the OEM charger you get with the device that outputs 1150 mAh.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

I have one of these and it is great.

ROM
    I don't root.

In my experience with external chargers, my advise is to find one whose capacity is at least 3 times, preferably 4 times, or more the capacity of the phone you wish to charge. Because these external chargers use a passive gradient to charge your phone, not all of the charger ' s power can be used to recharge the phone. In other words, just because your external charger is 7000 mAh, doesn't mean it can charge your 3500 mAh Droid MAXX twice. A 7000 mAh charger can charge your MAXX like 1 and a half times.

So look for chargers that give you at least 11,000 mAh. That's just my opinion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
    Droid Razr MAXX HD since Dec 2012.

ROM
    I don't root.

Here is my New Trent IMP120D. I charged it a few months ago at the beginning of Hurricane season and it still registers full charge. One output is for phones and the other is for tablets. About the same size as a wallet and about 3 times as heavy as my wallet. It will charge my Droid Razr MAXX HD 3 full charges with some left over for a fourth partial charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best external battery?-uploadfromtaptalk1379258582888.jpg   Best external battery?-uploadfromtaptalk1379258600704.jpg   Best external battery?-uploadfromtaptalk1379258623130.jpg   Best external battery?-uploadfromtaptalk1379258636171.jpg   Best external battery?-uploadfromtaptalk1379258650979.jpg  

Droid Razr MAXX HD since Dec 2012.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I am a fan of my NewTrent battery (it is one of the older 5200 mah models). I charge it and check it about once a month and it still has a full charge after three months. I am not using it as much as I did with my Thunderbolt. I got it partially to have a power source for plane travel, and the occasional theme park trip (or the even more occasional camping trip), or outdoor festival day. Also works great at conferences where you don't have to park near a wall and/or introduce trip hazards.

Current Personal Devices: Droid MAXX XT1080M; Sero 7 Pro
    Previous Personal Devices:
    Compaq HPC / Palm IIIc / Moto Bag Phone / Moto Flip Phone / StarTAC 7860 / StarTAC 7868 / v60s / GZ1 Type V / GZ1 Boulder / Thunderbolt
    Current Work Device: iPhone4
    Previous Work Devices:
    Moto "Lingo" L3000 iDEN / R750 / i355 / i580 + BB 8703 / BB 8830 / BB8330 / i576 + BB 9650 Storm