Still Photo Aspect Ratio - Camera Quality

Barry Adler

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Can't find online, and can't get answer at Verizon stores, an answer to the following question: Is it possible to adjust the aspect ratio of still images taken by the Droid Maxx. The default is 16:9, but I can't find a setting to adjust this to 4:3. If the native camera won't allow this adjustment, will third-party camera software permit it? Any recommendations?

More generally, how is the image quality of the Droid Maxx? I'm upgrading from a Droid X2; I don't upgrade frequently and am looking to find something that will work for me for a while.

Thanks in advance.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Can't find online, and can't get answer at Verizon stores, an answer to the following question: Is it possible to adjust the aspect ratio of still images taken by the Droid Maxx. The default is 16:9, but I can't find a setting to adjust this to 4:3. If the native camera won't allow this adjustment, will third-party camera software permit it? Any recommendations?

More generally, how is the image quality of the Droid Maxx? I'm upgrading from a Droid X2; I don't upgrade frequently and am looking to find something that will work for me for a while.

Thanks in advance.

There are a couple of threads here showing that decent image quality is possible, but what I've experienced shows you have to work hard and get lucky to not get blur.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
If your having issues with blur, you might want to enable touch to focus.

Posted via Android Central App

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
If your having issues with blur, you might want to enable touch to focus.

Posted via Android Central App

in my experience, and professional reviews, that doesn't increase chances of it being more focused (because there's still no delay between it focusing and taking the shot). i've found camera zoom fx helps though because they have point exposure metering and touch to focus that lets you get the shot focused correctly before pulling the trigger.

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Thanks in advance.

yes its 16:9. it's not a setting. even 3rd party cameras will only shoot in resolutions that are 16:9 (aka "wide"). that's why the stock aosp camera from the nexus/gpe s4 with photosphere won't work above a certain resolution (5mp i believe)---because that's the biggest resolution where that camera can take a wide shot. however, on camera zoom fx, you have more resolution choices, including a 10.5mp wide, which is what the camera shoots at normally.

bigv5150

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Also is there any way to drop the MP of pictures I can't find a setting to decrease them so every picture is 10 MP.

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
i meant you don't have time to assess how well it focused on where you touched before it takes the pic. after you touch, the shot is imminent, and in my experience your chances of ending up with a good shot are about as good as with autofocus. the app i mentioned on the other hand, after you touch to focus/exposure metering, it doesn't just snap the shot. you can assess how well it focused before clicking the shutter button. therefore you don't end up with bad pics (because you don't take a pic just because you tapped to focus).

another trick to improve autofocus with the stock camera app is to start recording a video and then click the screen to snap shots. the autofocus is spot on during video recording.

- - - Updated - - -

Also is there any way to drop the MP of pictures I can't find a setting to decrease them so every picture is 10 MP.

10.5 actually. again the camera zoom fx app has you covered. not the stock app.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree there is a slight delay albeit very slight it is there.

It's a big delay. I was trying to take photos at my daughter's cross country race today and the focus and photo capture delay were horrendous almost every shot. I missed many shots. I finally figured out to press and hold and take a dozen photos at a time to get maybe one decent shot.

The camera is disappointing. I'm thinking about going back to Pro Capture,which I used on my last phone.

Barry Adler

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
however, on camera zoom fx, you have more resolution choices, including a 10.5mp wide, which is what the camera shoots at normally.
Thanks for responding (and thanks to others as well). Does the adjustment on Camera Zoom FX allow taking a picture with a squarer, 4:3? This would be useful for framing even if it crops the sensor. Thanks.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I just installed the app ProCapture and the settings allow you to specify 16:9, 16:10, and 1:1.

Another thing I like about ProCapture is that you can set the volume buttons to capture photos.

I haven't tried the app with the maxx yet, but I installed it after a very disappointing day yesterday trying to take photos at my daughter's cross country meet. The stock camera was crap for that.

Barry Adler

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I just installed the app ProCapture and the settings allow you to specify 16:9, 16:10, and 1:1.

Another thing I like about ProCapture is that you can set the volume buttons to capture photos.

I haven't tried the app with the maxx yet, but I installed it after a very disappointing day yesterday trying to take photos at my daughter's cross country meet. The stock camera was crap for that.

Odd set of aspect ratios, 16:9, 16:10, and 1:1; long and thin or square and nothing between. If you get a chance, please re-post to confirm that it works on the Maxx as one poster suggested that 16:9 is the only ration that will actually work on a Maxx, given that it lacks the innate aspect-ratio adjustments of other droid phones.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
1:1 works. Funny, from the app it flashes full frame then shows the square frame. But when you open the gallery, the photo is stored square.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool