Excessive battery draining while sleeping?

byitb

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
While my battery does last me two days of not so heavy use, I don't think I'm seeing the same numbers as everyone else is ie. "6 hours of on screen time and only at 50%".

I'm at 30% right now from full charge with onscreen time of 3h 9m
1D 23H 25M on battery.
Android OS taking up a bulk of the battery at 30%

and from when I go to bed at night and wake up (about 8-9 hrs) I lose about 10% battery.

I did a factory reset when I got the phone, disabled all VZW apps and have Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook syncing.
2013-09-09 15.02.49.png
2013-09-09 15.02.59.png
2013-09-09 15.03.22.png

Do these numbers seem right?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
While my battery does last me two days of not so heavy use, I don't think I'm seeing the same numbers as everyone else is ie. "6 hours of on screen time and only at 50%".

1D 23H 25M on battery.

and from when I go to bed at night and wake up (about 8-9 hrs) I lose about 10% battery.

I did a factory reset when I got the phone, disabled all VZW apps and have Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook syncing.
View attachment 80130
View attachment 80131
View attachment 80132

I would not know yet about the numbers, as I am too new to the phone. How many hours of standby time is the Maxx supposed to get?

davinci27

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I think your numbers look fine. You have nearly 48 hours of time on the battery. If you haven't been using the screen, then other items are going to show higher than screen time. When you see people that get 6 hours of screen time at 50%, they also only have 12-14 hours on the battery .

Sent from my Droid MAXX

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
there are really two options: 1. get a s**t ton of on screen time in a short period of time (1 dayish). 2. dont use your phone too frequently, get through 2 days on a single charge, and lose battery capacity while you sleep.

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
there are really two options: 1. get a s**t ton of on screen time in a short period of time (1 dayish). 2. dont use your phone too frequently, get through 2 days on a single charge, and lose battery capacity while you sleep.

This. All I care about is knowing I can get through a solid day of heavy use if needed, without having to worry about turning radios on and off or dimming the screen. With this phone I can. With my typical use, I could do two days if I forget to put my phone on the charger in the evening. For me that is perfect.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Holy crap, yes. 48 hours for medium use is what Motorola/Verizon advertises.

I usually plug in my phone to charge every night after 18 hours on, about 2 hours screen on time, with usually about 60% battery left. The lowest I saw was the other day, when I was in NYC on LTE all day (except in the subway, when there was no signal) and I went to bed at 48% after about 2 hours 45 minutes screen on time.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

1D 23H 25M on battery.

View attachment 80130
View attachment 80131
View attachment 80132

I would not stress those numbers bro. Those aren't bad.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

adrialk

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you are draining at 1% /hr overnight when connected to WIFI with a good connection? That is high, as compared to my OG RAZR MAXX. If you want to experiment, try turning off active notifications, always listening and Moto assist.

If you find that the battery drain doesn't change by turning the additional features off, try turning off background data overnight. If that helps, you can use tasker or lama to turn off background data while you sleep -- unless moto assist can do the same.

Hikmat abdoollayev

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Looks like you have a "wakelock" issue.

"Android OS" uses many "wakelock"s to keep your phone awake when it is idle (e.g: AlarmManager, *backup* ..etc)
In standard battery statistics you can not see them.

Try "Wakelock detector" play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector
It gives you details of why "Android OS" is draining your battery.

p.s: Don't forget to turn on "Advanced mode" in settings of "Wakelock detector" ;)

davinci27

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you are draining at 1% /hr overnight when connected to WIFI with a good connection? That is high, as compared to my OG RAZR MAXX. If you want to experiment, try turning off active notifications, always listening and Moto assist.

I'm curious why you feel 1% per hour is high. That would equate to 100 hours/4 days of standby. That seems about right no me. Somebody did a test where they just left the phone sitting turned on, and I think they got around 75-80 hours.

What do you think would be a reasonable amount of drain per hour?

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious why you feel 1% per hour is high. That would equate to 100 hours/4 days of standby. That seems about right no me. Somebody did a test where they just left the phone sitting turned on, and I think they got around 75-80 hours.

I found it kinda odd that moto advertises 25 days of standby on the maxx.

Posted via Android Central App

adrialk

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

0.5% /Hr is reasonable for overnight idle drain when connected to Wifi. That is what my OG RAZR MAXX is doing on stock software with a ton of apps and tasker running. Facebook, Twitter, etc all have notifications turned off. I remember trying to find out what app was causing the drain, because after a factory reset it was more like 0.3% - 0.4% / HR IIRC.

If we were talking 1%/Hr when connected to a good LTE signal, I would think that is reasonable.

I use Battery Monitor Widget to log %/Hr drain and current draw.

davinci27

May 23, 2011
Visit site
0.5% /Hr is reasonable for overnight idle drain when connected to Wifi. That is what my OG RAZR MAXX is doing on stock software with a ton of apps and tasker running. .

The biggest difference I can see is that the RAZR MAXX doesn't have 2 processors running constantly to monitor environmental input and natural language. These processors gotta get power from somewhere. I would imagine you could do .5%/hour, but you might have to disable a few things first.

adrialk

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I got my Droid MAXX tuesday night and I recorded 1% / Hr idle battery drain that first night, connected to WiFi with no additional apps installed. I noticed the same thing the 2nd night after I installed all my stuff. Active Notification ON, Always Listening ON, Moto Connect OFF

Is this typical? I have noticed some people claiming claiming to loose less than 7-8% overnight.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I got my Droid MAXX tuesday night and I recorded 1% / Hr idle battery drain that first night, connected to WiFi with no additional apps installed. I noticed the same thing the 2nd night after I installed all my stuff. Active Notification ON, Always Listening ON, Moto Connect OFF

Is this typical? I have noticed some people claiming claiming to loose less than 7-8% overnight.

The one night that I plugged my phone into a cord that was not plugged in (dummy) my phone lost about 7% during the 7 hours I was asleep.

So, yes, that sounds right. I've read that turning off touchless controls and active notifications reduces the drain by quite a bit.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
if you think about 1% per hour, if you didnt touch the phone it would theoretically last over 4 days. i know moto claims 25, but i think that is in airplane mode or something.

i wasnt happy with the over night draining so i set up a tasker profile to turn off data, sync, gps, and active notifications over night. instead of losing 9-10 % battery over night, i now lose 4-6% over 8ish hours.