Step 1 admitting I have a problem

Jdt0109

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
So I am the real deal when it comes to being a phone junky... I have had them all and multiple times. lol I have the droid maxx now and am really in love with it except for the camera. Yes it is leaps past what motorola has produced in the past but after having the GS4 nothing compares. If i could take that camera and put it in this phone my life would be complete lol. Camera is just a HUGE thing for me since I have a little 2.5 year old. I am always taking pics of her. Is it worth sacrificing camera quality for battery life? I need help. I am thinking about returning to the GS4. HELP!!!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The camera isn't that bad on the Droid Maxx. If anything the colors are more realistic in certain environments. At times things such as grass look faded but buildings tend to hold their true color. I would hang into the Maxx because battery life is the single most important thing. You can't use the camera at all if the phone dies.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
You should look into the g2. Early reviews say the camera is just as good and even out performs the gs4. Battery is pretty beefy too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
do what you want to do, junky. its a no brainer for me, i cant stand touchwiz or the home button. my wifes s4 suffers from lag when opening things. the maxx is the smoothest phone i have ever owned. the camera isnt a big deal for me, its a phone after all... what am i going to do with it - text some pic to a friend, upload a pic to facebook? hardly a reason to return it in my eyes. it has been demonstrated that the maxx can take good pictures but you will probably have to take a few to get it.

bigv5150

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
My buddy was having a problem getting on to play store so he asked me to help he as the S4. All I have to say is what a piece of junk the UI sucks it is laggy as hell to use the pull down menue took 3-4 tries. I just don't like this phone at all horrible battery life but hey it takes great pictures. It really does take great pictures but every thing else about the phone sucks I don't know why everyone considers this phone against the Maxx there is no comparison in my mind. the build quality sucks as well feels so cheap damn I just don't like this phone or any samsung phone.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The camera isn't that bad on the Droid Maxx.

I disagree with this. The camera is mediocre. Half my shots are blurry/poorly focused, and it often takes a while to lock in and capture a shot when it is focused, meaning that it's hard to take photos of things that are in motion. I can take good shots, but it's more difficult than it should be, and worse than compared with other contemporary phone cameras.

Motorola is implying that they are working on an update that includes improvements to the camera software, so hopefully it will improve. See https://forums.motorola.com/posts/71d0e8a28e?commentId=727476#727476

However, this I agree with, and why I love this phone:

I would hang into the Maxx because battery life is the single most important thing. You can't use the camera at all if the phone dies.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with this. The camera is mediocre. Half my shots are blurry/poorly focused, and it often takes a while to lock in and capture a shot when it is focused, meaning that it's hard to take photos of things that are in motion. I can take good shots, but it's more difficult than it should be, and worse than compared with other contemporary phone cameras.

Motorola is implying that they are working on an update that includes improvements to the camera software, so hopefully it will improve. See https://forums.motorola.com/posts/71d0e8a28e?commentId=727476#727476

However, this I agree with, and why I love this phone:

Don't get me wrong I get frustrated with the auto focus at times. I'll sit there and it will never focus but if I move it to refocus it will focus. Quite frustrating if I do say so myself but I deal with it. The odd thing is that its completely random and I have no idea what sets this on motion.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

kurpaige

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I just left the S4, if you like it go back cause this camera will never compete with the S4. I'll never go back, about the only thing good on the S4 over the Maxx is the camera. I hate the UI, don't really like the Gallery on the S4 way too much going on there. Personally I like the camera on the Maxx for what it is, a camera phone. I never used all those features on the S4. If I want to change settings on my camera to take a really good pic, I have a DSLR for that. 2 twist of the wrist and I can take a quick pic that's no where near as bad as reviewers are saying, priceless!!!

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Being a phone junkie, you do not have a second device lying around with a better camera? For a long time I carried an SII and a 4S, using the iPhone just as a media player and for the camera. If you want battery life of the Maxx, and the camera of another phone... carry both. Taking pictures of a kid with an, IMO, unreliable camera in the Maxx (focusing, as mentioned by others) means missed opportunities and frustration.

Although, right now carrying both the Maxx and the DNA... two 5" phones is kind of annoying.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Get an HTC One. Amazing camera in most situations.

Even more amazing is the ZOES feature. The camera's always recording once you turn it on. When ZOES are activated, pressing the camera button saves the last second of what the camera was recording, plus the next two seconds. You can then scroll through frame by frame for the best shot. You'll never miss that special moment again because you hit the shutter a second too late.

I have both the One and a Maxx. The Maxx gets more palm time, but for camera and audio listening the One is my first choice.

And I'll wager I'm as big a phone junkie as you. I've got 6 phones with active SIMs, five in my desk that I still play with our use as remotes, plus a couple of Nexus 7, and a new LTE on the way.

I was a big Samsung fan and have owned and still own most of the following list SGS1, SGS2, SGS3, GALAXY NEXUS, NEXUS S, and a Note 2, but the SGS 4 just doesn't hold any interest for me compared to the One and the Maxx.

YMMV

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
So I am the real deal when it comes to being a phone junky... I have had them all and multiple times. lol I have the droid maxx now and am really in love with it except for the camera. Yes it is leaps past what motorola has produced in the past but after having the GS4 nothing compares. If i could take that camera and put it in this phone my life would be complete lol. Camera is just a HUGE thing for me since I have a little 2.5 year old. I am always taking pics of her. Is it worth sacrificing camera quality for battery life? I need help. I am thinking about returning to the GS4. HELP!!!

If it makes you feel better if you've seen one 2 year old you've seen them all. This is the universe's way of telling you that your friends and family are tired of seeing your kid. :D;):beer:

But seriously try camera zoom fx and camera jb + before taking it back. They both have better focus than the stock.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Can an app really improve my camera though?

If the "problem" with the Maxx's camera is software, then I would think yes. As long as the glass, sensors, and processor are good it just becomes an issue of what three software does with it.

Rather than wonder about it, why not hit the Play store and try out some of the more popular camera apps?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If the "problem" with the Maxx's camera is software, then I would think yes. As long as the glass, sensors, and processor are good it just becomes an issue of what three software does with it.

It's probably also a driver issue. Third party apps will use the phone's driver. When Motorola improves that, they'll improve photos overall.

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Seems too bad to spend so much for a phone and then so much for a camera if it was possible to have the phone take better photos.

But, you'll make sure that no matter what phone you ever got in the future, you'd have much better shots than the standard camera. Until they start putting larger sensors in phones, this will outperform all phone cameras. Just playing devil's advocate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781