Root for Droid series gets public release

joshzide

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
That's because system files are not writeable outside bootloader or recovery, even if you mount system as R/W. I found the root still useful - I deleted the wireless charging notification and now my phone is silent when I place it on the charging pad. Yes, the notification will return after the next reboot, but I dont reboot my phone that often and will have to delete the notification sound again after reboot.

That makes sense, but does this mean I will NEVER be able to do what I want? (I do reboot somewhat often, as I fly fairly frequently, and I'm the sucker who actually shuts his phone when one is supposed to shut it.) I suppose I could create a Llama profile to erase that sound (or actually, replace it with silence, otherwise, there's some other annoying notification sound) every time I boot, but that seems slightly silly.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
At the risk of getting my head bit off again by cliberti, would this root enable SVTP to work (hotspot app)? I have no idea what is meant by the ability to rw in /system/app.

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Depends on what you want to do. If you want to remove bloat only, then there is no reason to root at this time because it's not possible. If you want to use wifi tether with your unlimited data plan, then yes, you should root. If you want to ROM you're nuts but there is no need to root right now. Many of the root apps will work but not all because you can't w/r yet.

Also, if you root, it's pretty much a one click method to root/unroot so I can't really see any danger.

superxero044

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the only thing I'm really interested in is wifi tether - as I was able to on GNex. Then maybe replacing the wireless charge sound and the boot sound...

Thanks for the info!

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the only thing I'm really interested in is wifi tether - as I was able to on GNex. Then maybe replacing the wireless charge sound and the boot sound...

Thanks for the info!

As soon as it's possible I'm replacing the whole boot animation with the Moto X boot animation. That is a pretty amazing boot animation. :)

like2angle

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I am also interested to know if Google Wallet will work with root.

I thought the reply you received was a little short. Here is an explanation of what they are talking about:
The file system of your phone is based on the Linux / Unix operating system
All the folders and files have permissions, or access rights assigned to them such as who can see and change them.
The "root" user has the ability to see and change all files. When you root your phone you get the ability to make changes as the "root" user.
Applications must be installed in certain locations and the app must have access to files in other locations to run properly. The present method of gaining root does not yet allow access to those locations. Plus our friends at Verizon also install other little roadblocks to prevent running certain apps like Google Wallet from working.This is in in violation of FCC rulings by the way.

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok ... So if you are rooted when Verizon sends out KitKat OTA, can you get that update?
Likely no, but it depends on how their update is setup. 3rd party ROMS definitely don't get OTA, and sometimes rooted devices don't get them. But the nice thing here is you can unroot with 1-click.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I want to root but need a little bit better instructions. What is meant by, "2. Install it by typing: 'adb install -r motoroot.apk' (Note: filenames vary by device)." Just where do you type this command?

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Can someone confirm a method for wifi tether with this root access?

WiFi Tether for Root users works (Device Profile: Generic ICS/JB (wlan0), Setup Method: Auto; Wifi driver reload, MSS Clamping, and Routing fix all checked)
and
the built-in tethering also works after modifying "entitlement check" value from 1 to 0

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
If you are looking into how to disable your capacitive buttons, download this app and they go away.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...sleepydragon.capbutnbrightness&token=eqqirQAo

Problem is, the dim doesn't work and it does not let you set up scenarios, as in when I'm watching videos shut them off. It just shuts them off. In fact, you can't turn them back on unless you disable the app or uninstall it. But if you are one of the people that hated the capacitive buttons always being on, it may be for you.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
WiFi Tether for Root users works (Device Profile: Generic ICS/JB (wlan0), Setup Method: Auto; Wifi driver reload, MSS Clamping, and Routing fix all checked)
and
the built-in tethering also works after modifying "entitlement check" value from 1 to 0

Nice. I am monitoring this thread! Thanks to all here!

Sent from my DROID MAXX

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am afraid I need some help. I tapped on the MotoRoot 1.1 Verizon apk and it downloaded. Lookout Mobile Security didn't like the file but I over rode that. Now I am getting an error message. The message says, "App not installed. An existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed." What did I do? How do I fix this?

BrianTX

Jul 23, 2010
plus.google.com
It sounds like you are downloading the motoroot file to your phone, but you need to download it to a computer with adb installed. You then use the computer to install the .apk onto the phone. At least that's the only way I know to do it.

Posted via Android Central App

like2angle

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
If you dont have at least a basic understanding of adb, the inner workings of your phone, and are comfortable working at the command line as well as the associated risks I would avoid rooting. If something goes wrong you would be unable to recover and be the proud owner of a $700 brick. Even with this knowledge I would wait till the bugs are worked and info on how to recover if something bad happens have been posted. Even then carefully weigh the advantages you might gain by rooting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes