Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default ROOT and free WiFi tether for Droid MAXX!!

    all credit goes to original thread authors I am just putting together to make it easy to achieve.

    1st root your MAXX by going here -
    click on the apk files under the attached files, then install SuperSU / send the Developer some cash while you are there

    then go to this link to remove the entitlement check to allow using your stock WiFi hotspot for free (grandfathered unlimited plans)-

    I have used this on and off with no issues (billing) for a few years now and I'm thrilled to have it with the MAXX


    word to the wise - don't abuse your tethered data (of course I'm not responsible for what you do...)
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-08-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    Thanked by:
    yenyob 
  2. #2  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Quote Originally Posted by foxisbubba#AC View Post
    all credit goes to original thread authors I am just putting together to make it easy to achieve.

    1st root your MAXX by going here -
    click on the apk files under the attached files, then install SuperSU / send the Developer some cash while you are there

    then go to this link to remove the entitlement check to allow using your stock WiFi hotspot for free (grandfathered unlimited plans)-

    I have used this on and off with no issues (billing) for a few years now and I'm thrilled to have it with the MAXX


    word to the wise - don't abuse your tethered data (of course I'm not responsible for what you do...)
    Or you could just do this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    If you are a bandwidth abuser, you should be ashamed. I pay for my unlimited tether and do not feel bad pulling down 50+ GB a month.

    Sent from VZW HTC One with Unlimited Data and Tethering (subscriber)

    - Nexus 10 32
    - iPhone 5 32 ATT
    - iPad Mini 32 VZW
  4. #4  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    I need some help. I rooted my Maxx by the method in the first post here. I also did the change to the entitlement check from a 1 to a 0. I know that I am rooted because I can use Titanium Backup now. On my GNex I was using SVTP for a free mobile hotspot. SVTP still does not work. I also tried Wifi Tether for Root Uses and that also did not work. Can someone tell me what apps do work to enable a free hotspot? Or perhaps I didn't do it right? What have you got to work?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stilly1155 View Post
    Or you could just do this.
    The OP is about the exact same hack: changing the entitlement check value

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Quote Originally Posted by rjack22 View Post
    I need some help. I rooted my Maxx by the method in the first post here. I also did the change to the entitlement check from a 1 to a 0. I know that I am rooted because I can use Titanium Backup now. On my GNex I was using SVTP for a free mobile hotspot. SVTP still does not work. I also tried Wifi Tether for Root Uses and that also did not work. Can someone tell me what apps do work to enable a free hotspot? Or perhaps I didn't do it right? What have you got to work?
    If you changed the entitlement check value then you don't need any apps - use the built-in tethering - enable it in Settings-More-Tethering and Mobile Hotspot. I tested and it works. On a side note, Wifi for root users works too, check your settings

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. #7  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Thank you! I didn't know I could just use the native hotspot. Its working for me. Now if I could only get Google Wallet or Isis to work (sigh). And in case anyone is wondering...I have Isis installed but there is some kind of issue with my Chase credit card, but I am working on it!
  8. #8  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Quote Originally Posted by rjack22 View Post
    Thank you! I didn't know I could just use the native hotspot. Its working for me. Now if I could only get Google Wallet or Isis to work (sigh). And in case anyone is wondering...I have Isis installed but there is some kind of issue with my Chase credit card, but I am working on it!
    You have to unroot for ISIS to work - it checks for the root status every time it started. The good news is that the entitlement check hack will still work after unrooted - so tethering will continue to work. The outlook for Google Wallet is not as bright, I would even say that most likely it will never work on our phones, ifik.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  
    yenyob's Avatar

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Your post came at a great time for me. I've been trying to find a fix.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Thanks.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
  11. #11  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Looks like I might have to upgrade my Razr Maxx to the Maxx.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Does this work with droid maxx with 4.4 upgrade?
    Thanks!
  13. #13  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    No it doesn't.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyRussian007 View Post
    You have to unroot for ISIS to work - it checks for the root status every time it started. The good news is that the entitlement check hack will still work after unrooted - so tethering will continue to work. The outlook for Google Wallet is not as bright, I would even say that most likely it will never work on our phones, ifik.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Google wallet works fine on my rooted Maxx with 4.4 KitKat!
  15. #15  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Quote Originally Posted by pkdavis1101 View Post
    Does this work with droid maxx with 4.4 upgrade?
    Thanks!
    It works fine on my Maxx with 4.4 but the procedure is a little different.
    SQ Editor and search for app Settings Storage.

    settings storage / settings.db / secure / entitlement check
    select edit from top
    and change value from 1 to 0
    and save
  16. #16  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Quote Originally Posted by scallawag View Post
    It works fine on my Maxx with 4.4 but the procedure is a little different.
    SQ Editor and search for app Settings Storage.

    settings storage / settings.db / secure / entitlement check
    select edit from top
    and change value from 1 to 0
    and save
    I think the bigger issue is obtaining root access on an unrooted 4.4 maxx.

    if you can read this, you're standing too close
  17. #17  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Quote Originally Posted by scallawag View Post
    It works fine on my Maxx with 4.4 but the procedure is a little different.
    SQ Editor and search for app Settings Storage.

    settings storage / settings.db / secure / entitlement check
    select edit from top
    and change value from 1 to 0
    and save
    KitKat removed the entitlement check.

    You need to install the modified APK or run the Moto Tether for Xposed, if you have root.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mustang02 View Post
    KitKat removed the entitlement check.

    You need to install the modified APK or run the Moto Tether for Xposed, if you have root.
    Not on mine The check is just in a different place. As I already posted.

    It works fine on my Maxx with 4.4 but the procedure is a little different.
    SQ Editor and search for app Settings Storage.

    settings storage / settings.db / secure / entitlement check
    select edit from top
    and change value from 1 to 0
    and save
  19. #19  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Will you polease stop bumping this up?!!

    Everytime I see it, it looks like someone figured out the tethering on Kitkat.

    For crying out loud!!
  20. #20  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Quote Originally Posted by redddog View Post
    Will you polease stop bumping this up?!!

    Everytime I see it, it looks like someone figured out the tethering on Kitkat.

    For crying out loud!!
    I don't understand reddog. Is it your not rooted or does the method I posted not work for you. If you are rooted I can be more careful in my explanation of how to do it. I did go back through it on my Maxx today to be sure it is still working under KitKat 4.4. Works like a charm. If you are not rooted I don't think you can do it.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    I'm guessing they don't have root.
    Thanked by:
  22. #22  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mustang02 View Post
    I'm guessing they don't have root.
    Unfortunately nope. Just helped a friend get his new maxx set up with root and entitlement unchecked ; made me nostalgic for yestermonths.

    if you can read this, you're standing too close
  23. #23  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    I'm tempted to sell my 4.4 with root to get a maxx DE.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mustang02 View Post
    I'm tempted to sell my 4.4 with root to get a maxx DE.
    I've been considering this as well, but I'm waiting on that price to drop. With the moto x trend, its gotta come down soon. The maxx at Verizon has dropped, the moto x and de version have dropped. Maxx de has to be soon!

    if you can read this, you're standing too close
  25. #25  

    Default Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mustang02 View Post
    I'm tempted to sell my 4.4 with root to get a maxx DE.
    I have the DE edition and would not buy any other one. Once you unlock it...it's good to go. Just flash TWRP and a super use app and you have root. Move from 2.2 to 4.4 and back to 2.2 with just a few Motorola fastboot commands. Plus if you have a Del edition Motorola makes the official 4.4, 2.2 flashable recoveries and Motorola fastboot (for windows Mac and unix) available to you with some instructions for using the Motorola ADB fastboot commands. I use a Mac running Mavericks so it's nice to have the Motorola ADB fastboot installed because it will handle the bigger flashable recoveries which means you don't have to use some of the widows only apps like RSD lite or whatever.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 06:40 PM
  2. Solution for Back Smudges?
    By ShinyTop in forum LG G2
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 04:27 PM
  3. Android Newbie: Looking for a HTML5 only browser
    By Sreekanths22 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-15-2013, 09:32 AM
  4. Greetings from the edge of Rooted
    By Sister Honey in forum Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2013, 02:32 PM
  5. WiFi and 3G simultaneously
    By Batfalcon in forum Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2013, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

B