Does anyone have details on the water-resistant coating?

franquellim

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, I've heard this mentioned a couple times but haven't seen any specifics on it. Does anyone have information on the water-resistant coating and what we can expect from it?

jhlinka

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
So I don't have the exact details, but if it's the same as the one marketed w/ the Razr (I'm assuming it's the same if not better), then I can tell you it can withstand a whole pitcher of water being spilled by a clumsy waitress...

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have NOT had it done to my phones, BUT I've heard good things about this...

The Waterproof Phone Case Alternative - Liquipel Watersafe

The op was asking about the nano-coating to the internationals components of the phone which is done at production. I can't find the link but it was somewhere on Motorola website that new Droid line does have it. I believe it's the same one as the Droid Razzr Maxx. I can't attest to it effectiveness from my own experience but I read a lot on forums that if you drop the phone into a bucket of water (read - toilet) and dry it up quickly then no damage will be done. YMMV

Posted via Android Central App

franquellim

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, that is correct. I've heard references to the nano coating as part of the manufacturing process. I am relieved, however, to hear that it passed the clumsy waitress test! Nothing like real-world testing for validation...

bigv5150

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
My buddy left his razr outside and on overnight and it poured. He said it was acting a little wonky at first but after it completely dried it was fine.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
In the case of longer term water exposure (such as the river I mentioned - it was in a flooded hatch area in a kayak we had to abandon & retrieve a week later), I would advise opening the device up & removing the battery (though I'm not sure of the exact process to do so on this phone). That was the obvious death of my RAZR - the battery bulged, leaked, and corroded things. Who knows, other components might have survived otherwise, had it just been water exposure.

P-raggles

May 18, 2014
Visit site
My buddy and I were beaching a boat and did not properly account for the current. As our bow hit the sand our stern started to swing around towards the next parked boat...we both jumped into the bay to stop the crash..without any thought to our phones in our pockets. After the boat was anchored we remembered our phones...we were both soaked jumping into chest high salt water. My RAZR Maxx fired right up and ran another year no problems. His I phone 5 was a total loss. I'm a nano coating believer. I did not use a case....

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Holly Elizabeth

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Wow! That's good to know... but may I suggest Ziploc baggie for keys, wallet and phone with some styro-foam (to provide instant float-to-surface capability) next time you are boating? Quart-size Ziploc freezer bag is perfect size and provides extra durability.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow! That's good to know... but may I suggest Ziploc baggie for keys, wallet and phone with some styro-foam (to provide instant float-to-surface capability) next time you are boating? Quart-size Ziploc freezer bag is perfect size and provides extra durability.

Usually when I am in a boat, my phone is on shore, but, when my phone is in the boat, that's exactly what I do, too.

Thanks for sharing a great tip.

P-raggles

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I actually do that now thank you. That said the RAZR Maxx could get really wet and still function. A testament to its water resistance in my experience.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app