Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Holly Elizabeth
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does anyone have details on the water-resistant coating?

Just curious, I've heard this mentioned a couple times but haven't seen any specifics on it. Does anyone have information on the water-resistant coating and what we can expect from it?
    CrackBerrian

Global Posts
    33,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0, iOS 5.1, BB10

Default Re: Does anyone have details on the water-resistant coating?

I have NOT had it done to my phones, BUT I've heard good things about this...

The Waterproof Phone Case Alternative - Liquipel Watersafe
    Rich C. (PKcable)

Visitor from CrackBerry.com!

So I don't have the exact details, but if it's the same as the one marketed w/ the Razr (I'm assuming it's the same if not better), then I can tell you it can withstand a whole pitcher of water being spilled by a clumsy waitress...

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    I have NOT had it done to my phones, BUT I've heard good things about this...

The Waterproof Phone Case Alternative - Liquipel Watersafe
    The op was asking about the nano-coating to the internationals components of the phone which is done at production. I can't find the link but it was somewhere on Motorola website that new Droid line does have it. I believe it's the same one as the Droid Razzr Maxx. I can't attest to it effectiveness from my own experience but I read a lot on forums that if you drop the phone into a bucket of water (read - toilet) and dry it up quickly then no damage will be done. YMMV

Posted via Android Central App

I can tell you that my RAZR did not survive a week in a river. lol
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Thanked by:
    Casen 
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thank you, that is correct. I've heard references to the nano coating as part of the manufacturing process. I am relieved, however, to hear that it passed the clumsy waitress test! Nothing like real-world testing for validation...

My buddy left his razr outside and on overnight and it poured. He said it was acting a little wonky at first but after it completely dried it was fine.

I would let it spend 24 hours in a bucket of rice if it were my phone and it got soaked just to make sure.

In the case of longer term water exposure (such as the river I mentioned - it was in a flooded hatch area in a kayak we had to abandon & retrieve a week later), I would advise opening the device up & removing the battery (though I'm not sure of the exact process to do so on this phone). That was the obvious death of my RAZR - the battery bulged, leaked, and corroded things. Who knows, other components might have survived otherwise, had it just been water exposure.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Red face Re: Does anyone have details on the water-resistant coating?

Yes, Nanostate flash flood is a liquid water resistant coating for smartphones that will waterproof your android phone. see Waterproof android phone Coating

My buddy and I were beaching a boat and did not properly account for the current. As our bow hit the sand our stern started to swing around towards the next parked boat...we both jumped into the bay to stop the crash..without any thought to our phones in our pockets. After the boat was anchored we remembered our phones...we were both soaked jumping into chest high salt water. My RAZR Maxx fired right up and ran another year no problems. His I phone 5 was a total loss. I'm a nano coating believer. I did not use a case....

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Lightbulb Re: Does anyone have details on the water-resistant coating?

Wow! That's good to know... but may I suggest Ziploc baggie for keys, wallet and phone with some styro-foam (to provide instant float-to-surface capability) next time you are boating? Quart-size Ziploc freezer bag is perfect size and provides extra durability.
    Thanked by 2:
    doogald, perkdog65 and Xanth269 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Elizabeth View Post
    Wow! That's good to know... but may I suggest Ziploc baggie for keys, wallet and phone with some styro-foam (to provide instant float-to-surface capability) next time you are boating? Quart-size Ziploc freezer bag is perfect size and provides extra durability.
    Usually when I am in a boat, my phone is on shore, but, when my phone is in the boat, that's exactly what I do, too.

Thanks for sharing a great tip.

I actually do that now thank you. That said the RAZR Maxx could get really wet and still function. A testament to its water resistance in my experience.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app