Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will the MAXX work on AT&T or T-Mobile?

Hi guys -- I am on T-Mobile right now, but am really intrigued by the Droid Maxx. My question is whether there is any way for the Maxx to work on a GSM network, such as AT&T or T-Mobile? I heard somewhere that all Verizon phones come unlocked now, as part of getting a certain band approved by the FCC, but haven't been able to confirm that. If the Maxx can work on a GSM network, is it missing any of AT&T or T-Mobile's bands such that my cell or data reception will suffer? Any help you can provide would be great. Thanks!

Default Re: Will the MAXX work on AT&T or T-Mobile?

I think that this was mentioned in the most recent podcast, and they said it should work with HSPA+, but probably not LTE. Also the regular GSM bands are there as well.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Awesome - thanks for the response! Which podcast was this? I'd like to download it.

ROM
    Kang/CM10

It will work with T-Mobile. The phone is carrier unlocked and is a world phone. But it only supports the 700mhz 4g LTE spectrum. On GSM networks, you can only achieve HSPA+.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Awesome - thanks for the responses! I am okay with not having LTE. I typically turn LTE off anyway to save battery. My cell reception and coverage will be just fine though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 1901Madison View Post
    Awesome - thanks for the responses! I am okay with not having LTE. I typically turn LTE off anyway to save battery. My cell reception and coverage will be just fine though, right?
    Well, of course it will depend on the carrier's strength in your area, but will it be much different than another device, made for T-Mobile? Not really. Your reception should be equal (or better, depending) to other devices you're using on T-Mobile.

Awesome - thanks for the response! Which podcast was this? I'd like to download it.
    I was referring to the Android Central podcast, it's quite good :-)
    Thanked by:
    Schwermzilla likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SeigaGen View Post
    It will work with T-Mobile. The phone is carrier unlocked and is a world phone. But it only supports the 700mhz 4g LTE spectrum. On GSM networks, you can only achieve HSPA+.
    It also has support for LTE 1700 /2100 AWS, but I think that's currently disabled. Hopefully a future update will support it.

See Motorola DROID Maxx - Full phone specifications

What up you all. New to form. I sign up because I saw the post about the droid maxx. I have one its a great phone. Some has already gave you'll the break down about the 4g LTE . I will tell you a few trick. If you are just using the internet it will work fine but if you need to make a call it rejects. Right? Well if you want to deal with the bull. When you look at signal bar and it says 4g LTE attempt to make 2 or 3 calls the 3 call will work. Watch how the connection change. As long as it doesn't say 4g LTE you can make calls. Or just manually change to globle. But if you need the 4g after your phone call just switch back. And you CAN receive call with 4g LTE. I use T-Mobile too. I'm assuming it should work the same for at&t.

Why not just get a Moto X that will work fully on T-Mobile? They are basically the same phone.

Quote Originally Posted by rockitdog23 View Post
    Why not just get a Moto X that will work fully on T-Mobile? They are basically the same phone.
    Screen size and battery life. I've really enjoyed using the Maxx on AT&T. Even more than my beloved GS4.

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

Same here. I went with a Moto X and miss the battery life and screen size. Now I am lucky to get through a full day. I can get through a work day, but if I go out after work sometimes I need to charge it if I am not sure how to get home by bus where I am at.

The Maxx will work on t-mobile in refarmed markets. It can pull LTE and HSPDA+. The issue is with 4.4. It has issues switching from LTE to HSPDA for calls and SMS. If you are on LTE you will get an error trying to call or send texts. The fix for now is to put it in HSPDA only mode. We are hopeful that the 4.4.2 update will fix this. It was working in 4.2.2

ROM
    Stock

I have used both a mini and maxx on T-Mobile and now a mini on at&t(aio) and the at&t experience is much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cliberti View Post
    The fix for now is to put it in HSPDA only mode. We are hopeful that the 4.4.2 update will fix this. It was working in 4.2.2
    Isn't HSDPA fast enough compared with LTE?

Why is my maxx not working right on T-Mobile? Have issues with calls, messages, and internet. I have signal but it just won't follow thru. Don't want to go back to VZN. I'm still pi##ed at them for screwing with me but.....

It is what it is. Like it...or not. You decide

Oh and I should mention I have apps opening all on their own. Is there a little VZN gremlin in my phone or what?

It is what it is. Like it...or not. You decide

Hi guys -- I am on T-Mobile right now, but am really intrigued by the Droid Maxx. My question is whether there is any way for the Maxx to work on a GSM network, such as AT&T or T-Mobile? I heard somewhere that all Verizon phones come unlocked now, as part of getting a certain band approved by the FCC, but haven't been able to confirm that. If the Maxx can work on a GSM network, is it missing any of AT&T or T-Mobile's bands such that my cell or data reception will suffer? Any help you can provide would be great. Thanks!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by cliberti View Post
    Same here. I went with a Moto X and miss the battery life and screen size. Now I am lucky to get through a full day. I can get through a work day, but if I go out after work sometimes I need to charge it if I am not sure how to get home by bus where I am at.

The Maxx will work on t-mobile in refarmed markets. It can pull LTE and HSPDA+. The issue is with 4.4. It has issues switching from LTE to HSPDA for calls and SMS. If you are on LTE you will get an error trying to call or send texts. The fix for now is to put it in HSPDA only mode. We are hopeful that the 4.4.2 update will fix this. It was working in 4.2.2
    How do you put the Maxx into HSDPA only mode?

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

For all those wanting to use droid maxx on lte for tmobile but not have the issue with making calls I have started using app Voice+ (Google Voice callback) . This works for me because i use Google Voice as my number. You can get incoming calls fine but outgoing calls will not go through when on lte so use app to have it call your phone for outgoing calls and it will call you and then connect you.

Works on both. No APN needed. Good for that.

I hate 4.4.4... Hate it hate it hate it

Posted via the Android Central App
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Why do you hate 4.4.4 so much?

forums.androidcentral.com/general-news-discussion/428056-what-your-likes-dislikes-about-android.html#post3846767

Correct me if I am wrong with any of it. I love my S4 with 4.4.2

4.4.4 on Moto Maxx.. I never had any other software on a Maxx so I assume it's just the software not phone specific. I hate the software. I hate no tiles in the single finger swipe down ie: I hate the new notification screen with nothing on it.. A complete waste of time to get to any setting. I hate the first settings screens "tiles". No customizability. I hate the second settings page with the lost instead of split 4 section settings. Hate the no SD card internal. Hate the no CDMA for StraightTalk and no 4g for ATT and the 4g for T-Mobile no talk/data bug. Hate the no default flash light widget. Hate the no default task manager. Hate the way WiFi doesn't toggle on and off from tile.. Only bringing to WiFi page to do it.. Same with location.

I guess I could use 2 finger swipe down to get past notifications to the new tile page.. Lame when you use 2 phones. Also Power Toggles is cool but I hate 3rd party apps that run full time. Also it doesn't fix the location toggle and it has 3g to 4g.. Doesn't work.

4.4.2 on S4

Loooove it.

None of that has anything to do with 4.4.4. The phone has been set up that way from the start, and most of those features you mention that are lacking are simply the way stock android was set up. It's a Verizon specific phone that never promised compatibility with ATT or tmobile - the gsm support is intended to allow verizon owners who travel overseas to pop in a local sim and get service. No sd card support has nothing to do with the version of android on the phone.

If you like samsung phones, then keep buying them. You'll miss out on Moto assist driving, meeting, sleep, and home profiles, most of Touchless controls. But, that's what's great about android - there are so many options that please everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    None of that has anything to do with 4.4.4. The phone has been set up that way from the start, and most of those features you mention that are lacking are simply the way stock android was set up. It's a Verizon specific phone that never promised compatibility with ATT or tmobile - the gsm support is intended to allow verizon owners who travel overseas to pop in a local sim and get service. No sd card support has nothing to do with the version of android on the phone.

If you like samsung phones, then keep buying them. You'll miss out on Moto assist driving, meeting, sleep, and home profiles, most of Touchless controls. But, that's what's great about android - there are so many options that please everybody.
    I'd you couldn't tell its a paste from another post where I posted what I disliked about droid and my maxx. As for your great parts.. Don't like or use any of it. The s4 with 4.4.2 is what u like. If you are telling me that moto has its own I face for 4.4.4 then I just hate the moto.

As for your Sim statements and 3g 4g issue.. Don't have them when I pop it in my s4.. Only in the Maxx.

Again its a post from another I pasted, should have reworded it because there is always someone who reads to far into things but w/e. I was sleepy

BTW after checking to make sure I wasn't wrong.. Yeah.. Its 4.4.4 I don't like.
    Last edited by DirtyTrees; 08-21-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast