Airplane Widgets not working

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Now tried my third airplane mode toggle widget...and none work. Anyone else experiencing this? I seem to recall one that didn't work on my orig. Razr once, but three of them?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, Google removed the ability for a third party widget to put the phone in Airplane Mode starting with 4.2, though it should take you to the settings. I agree with the last user - pull down notifictaion shade with two fingers (or one finger and hit the settings gear icon) and airplane mode is right there. Or long-press power and it's there as well.

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, Google removed the ability for a third party widget to put the phone in Airplane Mode starting with 4.2, though it should take you to the settings. I agree with the last user - pull down notifictaion shade with two fingers (or one finger and hit the settings gear icon) and airplane mode is right there. Or long-press power and it's there as well.

You are correct, I had the same problem with a sound profile widget. I emailed the developer and he responded that the ability was in fact removed.

With that said, if you're rooted, you can get around it. He emailed me a link to an "airplane mode helper" app that will only work on rooted devices. I haven't tested it myself since I don't want to head down the root patch just yet.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Well, I never knew about the two finger swipe! Thanks. It would be nice if they'd tell us all this stuff...I do read the manuals, too...and wondered why they stuck an extra screen there to access the settings. Thanks so much. BTW, I did get Droidmania's Sound toggle to work.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I never knew about the two finger swipe! Thanks. It would be nice if they'd tell us all this stuff...I do read the manuals, too...and wondered why they stuck an extra screen there to access the settings. Thanks so much. BTW, I did get Droidmania's Sound toggle to work.
Hey no problem and just in case you didn't know another tip that you can use from that screen after you do the two finger swipe down... if you long press the WiFi or the Bluetooth icons they act as toggles instead of taking you to another screen first to turn them on and off.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey no problem and just in case you didn't know another tip that you can use from that screen after you do the two finger swipe down... if you long press the WiFi or the Bluetooth icons they act as toggles instead of taking you to another screen first to turn them on and off.

I learned something new today. Thank you. :)

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
OK, I still want an Airplane Toggle! I can't get the two finger swipe to work more than about 20% of the time and it still requires that to get to the toggle. Stupid. I want the toggle on the home page where it should be....how? (without rooting)

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Like doogald said, I usually just hit the gear icon when I'm viewing the notifications. Then it's just a tap away.

Or you can press and hold the power button.

sent from my XT1080M

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Power buttons are notably weak over time, and when it's dead, you're dead. Interestingly, Moto actually describes a way to access their own Moto widgets that are built in, like Airplane...by, and this is funny, holding the Hard Menu button down. Well, Android saw fit to dump that which I've complained about, and Moto was part of it, so I wonder where they think it is now. But when I find that....I can hopefully add that back to my homescreen. LOL. Or someone will find a way. Droidmania's widgets work except for this one, and they're not supposed to...so there's hope.

Ranting: there are two things you do ALL the time, turn sound on/off and airplane on/off. For some reason, the ability to turn sound on/off left about two phones back (tho' I note that the iphones still do!) and now you can't get to airplane without an extra step. Stupid.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ranting: there are two things you do ALL the time, turn sound on/off and airplane on/off. For some reason, the ability to turn sound on/off left about two phones back (tho' I note that the iphones still do!) and now you can't get to airplane without an extra step. Stupid.

That's a bit of a generalization....Because I don't do those two things ALL the time.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Ranting: there are two things you do ALL the time

I agree with volume; Airplane mode, not so much.

I have used airplane mode exactly zero (0) times to date. When I take a flight, I will need to use it, and I can manage a 2-finger swipe. I have turned the sound off many times. Depending on my mood, I hold the power button and press the silent option. Since "Power buttons are notably weak over time" I also use Llama, Droidmania's Sound toggle, or other apps to create shortcuts for volume.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Would you accept, PRETTY DARNED OFTEN, Chief?

I change the volume often but I have only used Airplane mode twice and that was on my Note II. That was for a 2 hour flight each way to Boston and home so I wouldn't call it that often.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I rarely use Airplane mode, and when I do, it's easy enough to do it from settings or pulling down notifications. (If you put a settings app icon on all of your home screens, Airplane Mode is just two taps away after unlocking the phone - it's right at the top of settings.)

For volumes I use an app called Quick Settings most of the time. It has a quick toggle for off/on, or a setting to choose if I want vibrate only, plus a tap to change all of the system volumes. It also has an Airplane Mode tap, but that goes to the wrong settings page on the Droid Maxx, unfortunately.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.bwx.bequick&token=dUkQgiN1

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I didn't realize how many folks leave their phones on all night. Crazy. Not me. Airplane at bed, off when I'm up...when it's set to silent anyway, why drain the battery all night for nothing?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I didn't realize how many folks leave their phones on all night. Crazy. Not me. Airplane at bed, off when I'm up...when it's set to silent anyway, why drain the battery all night for nothing?

In case someone needs me they can by pass my silent settings. I have family and close friends set up to do so just in case. Besides, its on the charger at night so I don't care.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol