MAXX Charger Question

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys -- I have a quick question about chargers. I like to keep one charger in my office and another at home. The MAXX only came with one charger, but I still have a charger leftover from my old Samsung Galaxy Note 2. The question is whether there is any harm or downside to charging my MAXX using the Samsung charger? I could always go out and buy a Motorola-specific charger, but I am under the impression that the Samsung charger should work just fine. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I still use old Blackberry chargers and generic ones from Monoprice without issue on my MAXX. I think Motorola plays nice with non-Motorola chargers. My wife's Droid DNA, though, is another story.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I think they got mostly standardized, except maybe for the ones for our vehicles...even then, I keep using the old ones.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Check the max output (measured in amps or milliamps). As long as the Samsung charger is equal to or greater than the Motorola one, it will probably be fine. Final test is to plug it in & see if it charges. If it does, then you're all good! That's the beauty of standardized chargers. If by chance it doesn't work, there are plenty of good quality, inexpensive chargers on Amazon, etc that will work well. I personally prefer to buy chargers that put out at least 2a, and have at least 2 connectors. But if one you have works, then no need to spend money!

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
The note 2 charger works just fine.

Anyway I have been doing some research and it appears the slower you recharge your battery the better it is for the lifespan.

Apparently if you think you might keep your phone over a year, you should try to not charge the battery overnight leaving it at 100 percent for any amount of time (on a regular basis). Its best to just top off the battery to 90 as needed and fully cycle it once a month.

I'm sure many will have a different opinion.

After I purchased the verizon home charger with the led light on the tip, I saw it was 2.1 amps. So I've just been using that cable with the stock motorola wall plug.

Sent from my XT1080m using AC Forums mobile app.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The note 2 charger works just fine.

Anyway I have been doing some research and it appears the slower you recharge your battery the better it is for the lifespan.

Apparently if you think you might keep your phone over a year, you should try to not charge the battery overnight leaving it at 100 percent for any amount of time (on a regular basis). Its best to just top off the battery to 90 as needed and fully cycle it once a month.

I'm sure many will have a different opinion.

After I purchased the verizon home charger with the led light on the tip, I saw it was 2.1 amps. So I've just been using that cable with the stock motorola wall plug.

Where are you getting your info? Why are you avoiding using the 2.1a charger? The device draws the appropriate amount of power - the charger isn't going to force 2.1a into your device. And charging a device from an under-rated charger is a good way to overheat the charger.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The newer lithium batteries will stop charging when full...unplugged or not. They are designed to charge to 100% and prefer not to be fully discarged on a regular basis.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The newer lithium batteries will stop charging when full...unplugged or not. They are designed to charge to 100% and prefer not to be fully discarged on a regular basis.

The MAXX even suggested via a notification that charging to 100% all the time is best for the battery. I remember that because it made me seek out the helpful hints notification and shut it off.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Where are you getting your info? Why are you avoiding using the 2.1a charger? The device draws the appropriate amount of power - the charger isn't going to force 2.1a into your device. And charging a device from an under-rated charger is a good way to overheat the charger.

Well your information is good to hear. I hope you're correct. The less to worry about the better.

Why would my phone be significantly warmer in temperature using a 2.1 vs the stock 1150mah?

I kept reading several posts from these scientists about the type of lithium ion in our phones and had recommendations solely to increase the batteries longevity. As in a year from now, following their tips, I would have a more gently used battery.

I know they mentioned the increase in temperature while charging is not good (like what I experience from the 2.1A charger) Also charging the battery if the phone was really cold below room temperature. I'll post links as I come across them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel