How do I change to "Ok Google"?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I saw with the latest update to google search that I am supposed to be able to use the phrase Ok Google, but I can't find anywhere to set that. When I go to train the phrase I still only have Ok Google Now as an option. Am I missing it somewhere?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I tried that. When I said okay Google, it said that it didn't recognize the phrase okay Google now and that I should try again.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

DASHAUS

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I have mine set to ok Google without the now, didn't have any problems.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I thought OK Google was only when Google now was open. I still think you have to use OK Google now in touch less controls.

Posted via Android Central App

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Initially when I got the phone I used OK Google. It was buggy and would launch touchless controls at random times. Hopefully that bug was fixed.

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It's not meant to use a different phrase. Some have been able to trick it into using another phrase that sounds phonetically similar to "ok google now", but the more different it is, the less likely it is to accept the phrase both in training, and in real life use. I'd love for them to make it work with custom phrases, but for now it's a case of "your results may vary" when it comes to other phrases.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I saw with the latest update to google search that I am supposed to be able to use the phrase Ok Google, but I can't find anywhere to set that. When I go to train the phrase I still only have Ok Google Now as an option. Am I missing it somewhere?

It's with Touchless Controls on Moto X/Maxx/Ultra/Mini phones that you can wake the phone with "OK Google Now". What the update you are talking about did was update the Google Search (and Google Now) app to respond to "OK Google" when you open Google search on any Jellybean phone, not just Motos.

The dumb thing about this is that these apps always were supposed to respond to speaking the phrase "Google". Obviously, "OK Google" contains the phrase "Google", so I'm not sure exactly what this added.

Anyway, on your phone, open up Google Now (usually by holding Home and sliding up on the circular "Google" that appears when you long-press home.) When this opens, say "OK Google". It should now be listening for your spoken search phrase.

So, to be clear - this was not a change to Touchless Controls on Motorola phones. That app is still supposed to be responding to "OK Google Now". Once Google Now opens, you can continue searches by saying "OK Google". Or, just "Google".

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Let's be clear: I was talking about Touchless Controls. It works.

Right, I undersood that.

I was answering the OP. The training setting has to do with touchless controls, *not* with the Google Search app. You do not train the Google Search app - it recognizes what it recognizes; it's a general Android update, not an update to touchless controls on the Droid Maxx. And, as Zorro1 mentions, many people have reported success training touchless controls to respond to "OK Google" or "OK Droid" or "OK Droid Maxx".

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I finally understand what the change to Google search did.

When you launch Google Now - even prior to this update - it would recognize that you were dictating a search command when you spoke the word "Google". Theoretically. What the new update added is, after you have performed a search of any kind with the Google Search app, whether dictated or typed, and are looking at the results of the search in the Google Search app - you can now dictate a new query by saying "OK Google". You could not do that before with the prior release - you had to touch the microphone control in the search box to voice dictate another query.

But, again - this has nothing to do with Touchless Controls on the Maxx/Ultra/Mini/X. To invoke touchless control you still have to train it to respond to a spoken "OK Google Now." Theoretically, as plenty of people report training a different phrase successfully.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I finally understand what the change to Google search did.

When you launch Google Now - even prior to this update - it would recognize that you were dictating a search command when you spoke the word "Google". Theoretically. What the new update added is, after you have performed a search of any kind with the Google Search app, whether dictated or typed, and are looking at the results of the search in the Google Search app - you can now dictate a new query by saying "OK Google". You could not do that before with the prior release - you had to touch the microphone control in the search box to voice dictate another query.

But, again - this has nothing to do with Touchless Controls on the Maxx/Ultra/Mini/X. To invoke touchless control you still have to train it to respond to a spoken "OK Google Now." Theoretically, as plenty of people report training a different phrase successfully.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!