My GNex had better build quality

gamefreak715

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so my new Droid took its first tumble this weekend. (1 month into owning it) It went from the couch to my carpeted floor. Usually not an issue for any phone, from that height and surface. The screen didnt scratch, but everything was not okay. Software problems after restarting it, so I wiped it and started fresh. However it is randomly turning off at random intervals. Picking it up, taking out of my pocket, double twisting for camera, simply using it- theres no particular time. I don't mean just powering down, but completely, instantaneously, cutting power. I knew something jostled loose on the innards, so I brought it to Verizon. They saw the issues and sent me a replacement since its warrantied and insured. Until the replacement comes, Ill revert back to my Gnex.

If I were to drop my Gnex (countless times) I'd simply pick it back up, turn it on, and everything works fine. Never had a case on it, never a scratch on the screen. I could (and have) throw it at a wall across a room and went back to using it momentarily. Is it that unrealistic to expect a basically brand new, top end phone to take a tiny tumble and survive without a case on it? Pretty disappointed in that aspect.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to wonder... I have read that the moto x is experiencing quality issues. Then my d.maxx microphone died today. The phone gives the impression it's high quality but I don't know...

Posted via Android Central App

bigv5150

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so my new Droid took its first tumble this weekend. (1 month into owning it) It went from the couch to my carpeted floor. Usually not an issue for any phone, from that height and surface. The screen didnt scratch, but everything was not okay. Software problems after restarting it, so I wiped it and started fresh. However it is randomly turning off at random intervals. Picking it up, taking out of my pocket, double twisting for camera, simply using it- theres no particular time. I don't mean just powering down, but completely, instantaneously, cutting power. I knew something jostled loose on the innards, so I brought it to Verizon. They saw the issues and sent me a replacement since its warrantied and insured. Until the replacement comes, Ill revert back to my Gnex.

If I were to drop my Gnex (countless times) I'd simply pick it back up, turn it on, and everything works fine. Never had a case on it, never a scratch on the screen. I could (and have) throw it at a wall across a room and went back to using it momentarily. Is it that unrealistic to expect a basically brand new, top end phone to take a tiny tumble and survive without a case on it? Pretty disappointed in that aspect.

I have dropped mine several times in the same manner from my recliner to carpeted floor not one issue. I find it hard to believe that a small drop on to carpeting would break this phone but I guess anything is possible. You may have had a defective phone and like you said it broke something loose.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have dropped mine several times in the same manner from my recliner to carpeted floor not one issue. I find it hard to believe that a small drop on to carpeting would break this phone but I guess anything is possible. You may have had a defective phone and like you said it broke something loose.

This. The wiring or a component may have been loose which made the small drop seem worse. If this was the norm I'm sure we would have heard more about it. I know this isn't always possible but if you are at risk to drop it at all than you may want to consider a small case. Overall this phone is tough and I believe that was a fluke accident though.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
This. The wiring or a component may have been loose which made the small drop seem worse. If this was the norm I'm sure we would have heard more about it. I know this isn't always possible but if you are at risk to drop it at all than you may want to consider a small case. Overall this phone is tough and I believe that was a fluke accident though.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

I've dropped mine off the nightstand onto a carpeted floor at least half a dozen times, no effect whatsoever. I do have mine in a case with screen protector though.

Being dropped is very much luck of the draw, a short drop at just the right angle can do a lot of damage. Conversely a long drop on a harder surface may do no damage, depending on how it hits.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Baffles me how many times people drop their cell phone. In all my life owning a cell phone I can count one time I dropped my phone. Hope I didn't just jinx myself :). Given the feel of Droid Maxx I'd be surprised if that short fall did any serious damage. Seems most likely was defect that was made prevalent by the drop so dropping it may have been a good thing this time.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Xader

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Baffles me how many times people drop their cell phone. In all my life owning a cell phone I can count one time I dropped my phone.

Y'know, it's really not that surprising. Given the sheer amount of time a phone will spend in the hand, it's likely to get dropped fairly frequently, statistically speaking. Factor in the fact that they're often used while being balanced on fingertips, with the thumb typing for navigating (vs grasping), combined with the likelihood of usage while moving (and not paying attention) and the drop rate goes through the roof.

I think it's a testament to the mobile industry that so many drops result in so relatively few breaks.

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I dropped twice. Bad on concrete. I don't know why. Never dropped my gnex. Maybe cause it's so big for my hands. But all is well thanks to candy shell grip case. Was only 25 bucks from vzw. Looks amazing too. Pretty thin and has 2 layers

slumkid

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I play games on the phone when I'm going to sleep. I drop the thing at least 2 or 3 times every night before I realize I'm too freaking tired to play. No exaggeration, the phone has been dropped at least 50 times onto the carpet since I have owned it. Never a problem.

Xader

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I play games on the phone when I'm going to sleep. I drop the thing at least 2 or 3 times every night before I realize I'm too freaking tired to play. No exaggeration, the phone has been dropped at least 50 times onto the carpet since I have owned it. Never a problem.

lol, I'm the same way with my Kindle

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree that every phone is not created equally, although they should. Me, My brother and close friend all had the GN... And we all had different signal strengths in the same location. Anyway, it is very possible that people experiencing issues can have lemons. All in all, this phone is advertised as semi-rugged, it's back being made from kevlar, and it being water resistant tested.

gamefreak715

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Update: I don't have the foggiest idea why this happened but after the phone was shutting off I allowed it to completely discharge then I charged it back to 100 percent. That seemed to fix the issue. At the time, my replacement was already on the way so I switched it out in case it starts again. Very weird issue. Haven't had a single problem with the replacement.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams