Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Eclipse2K
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid MAXX - 3G vs. 4g LTE

I have a quick question regarding 3g vs. 4G LTE and their affect on battery life (if any). Conventional wisdom has been that 4G LTE will drain significantly more battery than 3G. I have figured out how to disable 4G LTE using the LTE ON/OFF app. However, I am wondering if the "conventional wisdom" is even still true? Most of the articles discussing how 3G is more battery-friendly than 4G LTE are from 2011 and 2012. Now that Verizon has installed 4G LTE in over 95% of its network, is there any reason (or any battery life savings) to disabling 4G LTE? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Droid MAXX - 3G vs. 4g LTE

4G LTE will use more battery than 3G. However, with a Maxx, there is no reason to turn off 4G since it should last all day with ease.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4
    Thanked by:
    Masheen and JimBen73 like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I agree that for purposes of the MAXX, the phone will last all day regardless. But you're saying that even in 2013 with Verizon having covered 95% of its map with LTE, 3G still uses less battery?

Perhaps, with the proliferation of all the 4G towers, the phone's radio won't have to burn so much battery power to hold a distant signal?

Fat-fingered from my D-Maxx.

Quote Originally Posted by Einsteindks View Post
    Perhaps, with the proliferation of all the 4G towers, the phone's radio won't have to burn so much battery power to hold a distant signal?

Fat-fingered from my D-Maxx.
    LTE technology uses more battery than the normal CDMA radio. Consider this:

A Ferrari will use more gas than a Honda Civic. Which car performs faster?

This is no different then what were talking about here. I've been in areas with great 4G signal and it still drains faster than 3G would.

Quote Originally Posted by 1901Madison View Post
    I have a quick question regarding 3g vs. 4G LTE and their affect on battery life (if any). Conventional wisdom has been that 4G LTE will drain significantly more battery than 3G. I have figured out how to disable 4G LTE using the LTE ON/OFF app. However, I am wondering if the "conventional wisdom" is even still true? Most of the articles discussing how 3G is more battery-friendly than 4G LTE are from 2011 and 2012. Now that Verizon has installed 4G LTE in over 95% of its network, is there any reason (or any battery life savings) to disabling 4G LTE? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    I just want to offer a word of warning using that LTE ON/OFF app. I noticed that after using that app to turn off 4G (on my Bionic), then re-enable it, the phone would not reconnect to 4G for a considerable amount of time. Battery pull, reboot, etc. would also not do it. I can say with certainty that this was not due to anything network related, I was inside my home where I always get excellent 4G signal. Sometimes it would get 4G back within a couple mins, sometimes it wouldn't come back until the following morning. I researched the issue, and it seemed to be fairly widespread. Now, it could work fine on our Maxx, but frankly, I'm not going to even bother. To echo others on this forum, this phone has so much battery power there is no reason to bother turning off 4G. And to back up Mr. Eclipse, 4G always uses more battery power than 3G, even with a perfect signal.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

How were you able to fix this issue with your old phone? I downloaded the LTE On/Off app yesterday, tried it, but since have gone back to 4G LTE and determined there's no need to disable LTE with such a good battery. I haven't noticed any issues reconnecting to 4G.... did it happen to you right away? Were you ever able to reconnect to 4G?

How were you able to fix this issue with your old phone? I downloaded the LTE On/Off app yesterday, tried it, but since have gone back to 4G LTE and determined there's no need to disable LTE with such a good battery. I haven't noticed any issues reconnecting to 4G.... did it happen to you right away? Were you ever able to reconnect to 4G?
    The Bionic was notorious for having trouble holding a 4G LTE signal much less a data signal at all. Verizon knew this and replaced them with a different model if requested according to my friend who got a RAZR Maxx that way. I wouldn't worry about that here.

Like I said, it was very hit or miss, and it might not even be an issue on the Maxx, and I'm not even going to try to find out. Yes, the phone would eventually reconnect to 4G, leaving the phone off (completely powered down) for a long period of time (half hour or so) seemed to work the best. Honestly, if your 4G is working right now, just get rid of the LTE on/off app, and don't look back...there is plenty of power available to last all day and then some...

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    The Bionic was notorious for having trouble holding a 4G LTE signal much less a data signal at all. Verizon knew this and replaced them with a different model if requested according to my friend who got a RAZR Maxx that way. I wouldn't worry about that here.

Yes, I did hear about those Bionic 4G issues. I lucked out and got a good one I guess. I didn't have any 4G issues until I messed around with the on/off app. In then end, I got the extended battery for the phone and left 4G on all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by viper8315 View Post
    Yes, I did hear about those Bionic 4G issues. I lucked out and got a good one I guess. I didn't have any 4G issues until I messed around with the on/off app. In then end, I got the extended battery for the phone and left 4G on all the time...
    Those were the issues. Couldn't get its data signal quick enough and caused issues. No idea why Motorola never solved it or maybe it was hardware.

Use lteonoff and noticed no delays in reconnecting to 4g.

I also didn't notice a significant increase in battery life on 3g.

Sent from my XT1080m using AC Forums mobile app.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

The more I read about using 3G vs. 4G LTE, it seems like the newer phones released in 2013 but not see any benefit in battery life from switching off LTE. For one thing, Verizon has blanketed 95% of its network with LTE, meaning reception should be about the same on LTE or 3G. Also, from what I've read, it seems like the newer phones are more efficient users of LTE and are able to connect to LTE without as much battery drainage as in years' past. Maybe I am wrong, but this seems to be the info I have been able to find.

The more I read about using 3G vs. 4G LTE, it seems like the newer phones released in 2013 but not see any benefit in battery life from switching off LTE. For one thing, Verizon has blanketed 95% of its network with LTE, meaning reception should be about the same on LTE or 3G. Also, from what I've read, it seems like the newer phones are more efficient users of LTE and are able to connect to LTE without as much battery drainage as in years' past. Maybe I am wrong, but this seems to be the info I have been able to find.
    I haven't switched my phone to 3G so I wouldn't know but generally speaking 4G should still use more battery power. Could that amount be less than before due to more efficient antennas? Sure, but its more than likely to still consume more power than 3G.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk Pro

The signal strength isn't the reason 4G uses more power. Just because Verzion has more 4G coverage doesn't mean it uses less battery than 3G. Although as previously mentioned, with the Maxx it doesn't really matter because either way battery life is fine.

The signal strength on Bionic was fine. Actually the Maxx seems to have a worse signal strength. I'm not getting 4G on my Maxx in area where my Bionic would get the 4G.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLions81 View Post
    The signal strength on Bionic was fine. Actually the Maxx seems to have a worse signal strength. I'm not getting 4G on my Maxx in area where my Bionic would get the 4G.
    Really? The Bionic was notorious for signal issues and Motorola and Verizon knew this. I've had superb signal with my Droid Maxx whether in 3G or 4G. Maybe try a new SIM card and see if that helps.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk Pro