Okay, Google Now... I don't sound like Jeff Jarvis or Leo LaPorte

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay, this is kind of funny, but shows just how flakey the okay Google now feature is.

This happened last week while watching 2 different twit network podcasts. On one of them, I think it was this week in Google, the hosts started repeatedly using the okay Google now phrase, and my phone kept waking up as if I was the one who had said it. It happened again a day or two later on a different podcast while I was in the car playing the podcast over my car stereo speakers. Every time the hosts used the phrase, or even just said okay Google, my droid Maxx would wake up waiting for me to ask a question.

As I said, it was kind of amusing, but didn't instill a lot of confidence in how much uniqueness the simple training allows for. I certainly don't sound like either Jeff Jarvis or Leo Laporte, and them saying the phrase over the radio speakers should not activate the phone. I've re-trained mine but haven't checked it again. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Sent from my Droid Maxx, the bigger, better, longer lasting cousin of the Moto X.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So much for voice recognition!

I remember when my friend had me on speaker phone while he was making lunch. He was watching Hulu on Xbox and had to go make the food and he said "Xbox Pause". Each time he did this I said "Xbox Play" and it started. This went on for a good 20 minutes.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk Pro

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Mine wakes up at random times even when OK Google now is not spoken.

Posted via Android Central App

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
yEah mine wakes up at random points during the day

ive retrained this thing probably 25 times now trying to find the right mix. i get irritated when i am 5 ft from my phone and it wont recognize the phrase. i have tried recording from 8ft away as well as not speaking directly to the phone in a loud voice. whenever i try something that wasnt intended, i get the random pop ups for voice actions. when i speak directly to phone the problems go away. when i had the 'ok google' phrase recorded, it would spazz out even more.

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine works perfectly fine, no weird startups or any thing....

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Is everybody that's having problems using "OK Google Now" as your phrase? There's tons of reports of it doing lots of goofy stuff if you train it with any other phrase.
It's worked perfectly 99% of the time for me on my Ultra btw.

Ktulu

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a fairly long commute and listen to Audible audio book in the car. They stream from my Motorola Maxx to Ford Sync via Bluetooth. Every once in a while my phone kicks off the voice search because of something said in the book that I'm listening to. The last time I caught what was said to set it off. It was something like, "Okay Geary said..."

I think it's funnier than annoying.

Savvra

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Okay, this is kind of funny, but shows just how flakey the okay Google now feature is.

This happened last week while watching 2 different twit network podcasts. On one of them, I think it was this week in Google, the hosts started repeatedly using the okay Google now phrase, and my phone kept waking up as if I was the one who had said it. It happened again a day or two later on a different podcast while I was in the car playing the podcast over my car stereo speakers. Every time the hosts used the phrase, or even just said okay Google, my droid Maxx would wake up waiting for me to ask a question.

As I said, it was kind of amusing, but didn't instill a lot of confidence in how much uniqueness the simple training allows for. I certainly don't sound like either Jeff Jarvis or Leo Laporte, and them saying the phrase over the radio speakers should not activate the phone. I've re-trained mine but haven't checked it again. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Sent from my Droid Maxx, the bigger, better, longer lasting cousin of the Moto X.

I had this exact experience, listening to probably the same TWiG podcast in my car. It cracked me up. I've had only medium success with voice due to the loud environments I'm usually in or around. I also sound nothing like either of them.

Droid Maxx

sgayol

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Weird, but when I was using " OK Google now" I got tons of false positives like others in the thread. I retrained it to "OK droid maxx" and haven't had a problem since.

Is everybody that's having problems using "OK Google Now" as your phrase? There's tons of reports of it doing lots of goofy stuff if you train it with any other phrase.
It's worked perfectly 99% of the time for me on my Ultra btw.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
hmm... i hope it's not as bad as it sounds because this is one of the reasons i'm getting this phone. i want to be able to just tell it to do something. and when i'm driving i want to be able to switch playlists without having to unlock my phone and finding it myself. can it recognize playlists?

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
hmm... i hope it's not as bad as it sounds because this is one of the reasons i'm getting this phone. i want to be able to just tell it to do something. and when i'm driving i want to be able to switch playlists without having to unlock my phone and finding it myself. can it recognize playlists?

I have had mixed results getting it to play music, as have others. It is a known issue with Google Now (not Moto issue), and they are working on it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I've had to disable Touchless Controls after the 2nd day of using this phone. It triggers so many times when I'm either just talking or when music is playing that its become more of a problem than I'm willing to put up with.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had to disable Touchless Controls after the 2nd day of using this phone. It triggers so many times when I'm either just talking or when music is playing that its become more of a problem than I'm willing to put up with.

Well, there's something wrong your setup or environment. It's not perfect for me, but I'd say it works as expected 90+ percent of the time. Admittedly, it does have its quirky moments.

Still, it's one of the best reasons to own this phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like you need to re-train the touchless controls. I've had no accidental activations.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85