Do you like your Droid Maxx?

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
How well does Chrome work on the new Maxx?

I have a first-gen Maxx and Chrome is very slow and choppy. When reading device specific comments on Google Play it seems there are a lot of first-gen Maxx users who are not happy with Chrome.

Hopefully Chrome works better on the third-gen Maxx.

Posted via Android Central App

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I've not been a Chrome guy, don't use it on my pc, and have never used a built in browser on a phone or tab before. But Chrome rocks on this. Super fast and smooth. No reason at the moment to consider a different browser.

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Price is online only

Nope, just found out that's not the case. Some stores just don't realize it. I went to a different Verizon and it was $199. I bought it. Not sure about this case, but I like the phone so far. Is there an easy way to get my old apps on here?

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I moved to the XT1080M on 9/28 (and I will most likely go back in the store to see about a credit on the purchase price); we actually got 2 - I replaced a Thunderbolt and my wife replaced her Incredible 2 3G. I will pretty much just quote others:
Sturm Rider: I need a phone first not a camera or a game machine. This is it. Agreed
Zorro1: I finally have a phone that's part of my life and not interfering with it! I don't have to worry about the battery. Yes, absolutely. I have been using the heck out of my Maxx: Voice calls, lots of data, navigation to new places.
ghodge1: Huge upgrade from my old iPhone 4 I have an iPhone 4 because that is what the job supplies. The Apple keyboard is too small for my big fingers. I use the Maxx to scan receipts and e-mail them to my work e-mail for uploading.

The Motorola radios live up to their reputation (I maintained a 4G signal in a 6 story elevator ride earlier this week).

I, too miss the FM Tuner that is in the HTC Thunderbolt, and yes, my Thunderbolt works fine on WiFi. I can get by with TuneIn Radio, but I still have unlimited data.

Edit: Not a hint of lag using Chrome, either

Last edited:

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Nope, just found out that's not the case. Some stores just don't realize it. I went to a different Verizon and it was $199. I bought it. Not sure about this case, but I like the phone so far. Is there an easy way to get my old apps on here?

What case did you get? I love the otterbox commuter on this thing. Awesome.

And to your questions about the device itself, it is amazing. I got mine the day after it came out. Only doubted my purchase once the day the Note 3 came out, but then I remembered the lag and crappy battery on my Galaxy S3 and the lag my friends have on their GS4's and I didn't doubt it anymore.

This is the first smartphone I have ever had that lasts through the whole day for me, no matter how hard I try to kill it.

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
What case did you get? I love the otterbox commuter on this thing. Awesome.

And to your questions about the device itself, it is amazing. I got mine the day after it came out. Only doubted my purchase once the day the Note 3 came out, but then I remembered the lag and crappy battery on my Galaxy S3 and the lag my friends have on their GS4's and I didn't doubt it anymore.

This is the first smartphone I have ever had that lasts through the whole day for me, no matter how hard I try to kill it.

The otter box defender series.

Also, the battery seems to be draining quickly.

magicmom77

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Just bought my Droid Maxx today - Had an HTC Rhyme and strongly urge other to never buy that garbage, but I digress. The price of $499 was available at the store. The placard at the display listed it as $649 but when the salesman scanned the box, it came up $499. He was pretty surprised, I was pretty happy.
Concerning the questions about apps, if you purchased them through Google play you should be able to download them on your new phone. Go to Google Play, select my apps and there should be a list of what you have purchased.
Hope this helps

andrewh

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
If I recall correctly there has been one software update but it was available at launch so I have no idea how or what it improved.
Release notes from the launch update(nothing major):
https://motorola-global-portal.cust...DROID Ultra & DROID Maxx_12.7.7 MR Update.pdf

I absolutely love this phone. I went from an old school flip phone->palm treo->palm pre (loved webos - damn you HP!)->droid bionic -> droid razr and now the Maxx. It's been just over a month and I'm still using it as much as I did on day 1. I can't say the same with the previous droids. It's nice that I can unplug my phone @7 am, play some madden for about 2 hours throughout the day (that game sucks some battery), 2 hours of mixed use (web/text/email/nav), AND 3.5 hours of talk time before hitting 10% @10:45 pm. With the past two droids, I'd be lucky to get through the two hours of mixed use around the 10 hour mark.

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello. I'm a newbie to these forums. I've been lurking and decided to post so I could ask you guys what you think of the Droid Maxx. Do you recommend this phone? I currently have a Droid Bionic and I'm due for an upgrade. I've been looking at the Droid Maxx, Samsung Galaxy S4 and also the Samsung Note 3. I like the big battery in this phone. I played with at verizon and I liked it more than the S4 plus it has a much bigger battery. I'm really down to the Note 3 because of the huge screen or the Droid Maxx. The salesperson seemed like he was steering me away from the Droid Maxx for some reason, but of course he's an iphone guy so I didn't pay much attention to that. Now that the price has dropped to $199 I'm really leaning towards the Maxx. I'm really glad I waited and didn't buy it for $299. Actually that price tag is what kept me from buying it. How is it with software upgrades, if there have even been any yet? The Bionic was always one of the last to get upgrades, is this the case with the Maxx too.

First, I purchased the Droid Maxx and I was extremely happy with it. Unfortunately, I was pulled into the Samsung world by the large screen of the Note 3 and I actually ordered the phone. I used the Note 3 for approximately 3 days and I missed my Droid Maxx with a passion. I like the near stock Android and phone is extremely fast at EVERYTHING. I returned the Note 3 and reactivated my Maxx and I haven't look back. Not a big fan of the Samsung touch wiz ... too much bloat. The maxx is quick with a kick-*** executive style. Grab the phone and you will not regret it.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I am new to the Android Market. I have had blackberries for over 10 years. I am getting use to the way the device operates.
Pros:
1. Battery life. I am considered a heavy user by Verizon and with any other phone I used I was swapping the battery at least twice a day and still having it dead by the end of the day. With the Maxx I go all day and have 20-30% left. I find that amazing.
2. The display is very sharp and clear. Easy to read and shows colors pretty accurately.
3. The active notifications is one of my favorite features. I pull the phone out of my pocket and a glimpse of what the message is without having to unlocking and bringing up the entire display.
Cons:
1. The lock/unlock button. It is on the side instead of the top. Which in my case has caused the phone to reboot while in my pocket because if you press and hold the power button it does a hard reboot.
2. The size is good and bad. It is sometimes difficult to fit in a pocket.
3. Probably because I am new to androids, it has taken me longer than I would like to get use to where settings are and how the phone places things.
4. The keyboard is okay. Again probably me but touch screens can cause frustrations. The swipe and predictive text works well.
Over all I do not regret getting this phone.

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
One thing I'm noticing is that the signal strength isn't as good as it was with my Bionic. The signal is bad in here to begin with, but I could pick up 4G on Bionic (barely). I can't pick it up at all with my Maxx.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Best phone that I have owned to date. Didn't even see a point in rooting it. I simply disabled all of the bloat apps and ones that I have no use for and I noticed a speed and battery life increase. I also use Nova Launcher with Aggressive Desktop feature, which keeps the launcher if the phone's memory, and I never had a single redraw. Battery life and snappiness are amazing. Camera takes amazing shots if objects are lit properly. Low light shooting still needs help, despite what Moto said about their new sensor allowing more light through, it flickers when taking a low light picture. Built quality is amazing. No screen protect, no case. Why cover up the beautiful and silky feeling Kevlar. They hit a home run with this phone. Its essentially the Moto X with a larger screen and better battery. I love how Moto is keeping it stock.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
One other thing ? I don't lose any battery charge when I reboot. My Thunderbolt would eat between 7% and 15% of the charge on a reboot.

doublestack1

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Stopped loving my Maxx today. Copy / paste issue started again along with the bluetooth disconnect problem.

Looking for a different device. Love the battery but that's it these days. Pretty unhappy.

c-more

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I loved my Droid-1 and really loved my Droid-X. Durable 2 yr phones. My wife and I just upgraded to the Maxx, and it is SUPER. I never used the earlier Droids to their fullest, but this one will replace all paper... no more daytimers or sticky notes....My only problem has been with the accessories. If you plan on getting a car or home dock, be aware that they are not the precision Motorola products associated with the earlier Droids. The griffin line is poorly designed and cheaply constructed in comparison and may not work with a cover or case. I use the Verizon (NOT Griffin) "bumper" rim protector and even it won't work with the car dock. See more details in the thread - YES!! There is a car dock with built in charging! My wife loves her Maxx more than she loves me...after only 4 days !!

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I LOVE the always listening features. I use it constantly for "remind me..." commands. I own & operate a small business, and am involved in other activities & organizations as well, and am bombarded all day with things that I need to get done, but can't do right away. Quickly setting reminders for myself is priceless, and not having to look/feel for a button to activate the listening is some major icing on the cake.

I also love not thinking about my battery, pretty much ever. I charge every night (a habit that was formed with my first smartphone), and most nights I still have ~45% left. My previous phone (RAZR) had to be plugged in mid-day to get me through the evening.

gamefreak715

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
OK I'm a heavy battery user. My Gnex was just about always on the charger. 6-7 times a day. Now I go from waking up to going to bed without charging. 18+ hours. At the end of the day I still have 15% left. Of course you charge it every night. I don't have to use battery saver apps, custom kernels, nothing! I just use it! Active notifications are more than just a feature, it changes the way I interact with my phone. I'm not checking for new notifications Evey 10 mins, they just breathe onto my screen. Voice commands are nice but I don't use that much. Droid zap- does anyone actually use that feature? Idk. Stylewise, Its a sexy phone with the Kevlar unibody. Takes some getting used to the square corners and bigger size but not an issue anymore. Overall, yes, love my phone!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084