Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid Maxx vs Blackberry Z30 Fight!

Can someone give the pros and cons of both? I have been hearing that these two will have good battery life which is a must have for me in a device. I am going to college, and wanted a new phone to start school with.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Default Re: Droid Maxx vs Blackberry Z30 Fight!

Honestly. Its more on you to decide which operating system you prefer. I like Android more for Multimedia and Chromecast support, but BB10 is getting more solid as a platform everyday. Just not solid enough more me yet. Still, they both look great.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Furt View Post
    Honestly. Its more on you to decide which operating system you prefer. I like Android more for Multimedia and Chromecast support, but BB10 is getting more solid as a platform everyday. Just not solid enough more me yet. Still, they both look great.
    Can you give some pros and cons?

Do some research. Consider it practice for college.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This is way more than a "which phone" question. I would look at the apps you use - actually USE - and see if there are the same or comparable apps in Blackberry. Also, do colleges and universities have their own apps? Does yours?

The one thing I miss from Blackberry is the sound profiles, but not enough to go back.

Current Personal Devices: Droid MAXX XT1080M; Sero 7 Pro
    Previous Personal Devices:
    Compaq HPC / Palm IIIc / Moto Bag Phone / Moto Flip Phone / StarTAC 7860 / StarTAC 7868 / v60s / GZ1 Type V / GZ1 Boulder / Thunderbolt
    Current Work Device: iPhone4
    Previous Work Devices:
    Moto "Lingo" L3000 iDEN / R750 / i355 / i580 + BB 8703 / BB 8830 / BB8330 / i576 + BB 9650 Storm
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by gamefreak715 View Post
    Do some research. Consider it practice for college.

I did my own research I wanted some outside voices as well. It's a device I will be carrying for a while.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    This is way more than a "which phone" question. I would look at the apps you use - actually USE - and see if there are the same or comparable apps in Blackberry. Also, do colleges and universities have their own apps? Does yours?

The one thing I miss from Blackberry is the sound profiles, but not enough to go back.

If anything I need mint.com, pocket, and an app for keep or Google tasks.

Well in that case, look at which is the best ecosystem for you (not simply apps) and if they are cross compatible. I am fully vested into Googles apps and products. I love the compatibility of everything, calendar, music, search, CHROME(!), mint, drive, all are used on a daily basis and the more I look into the android ecosystem, the more I find it more useful. Apple has their own system, and its fine, just never been a fan of the software design. For cross compatibility, are all your apps available across the board? Think of Kindle Fire tablets- only amazon content. Whereas, Android can install most if not all amazon apps though their app store.
    If you're still not sure, just look at the stocks for what's becoming the leader. Google has the most market share, followed by Apple narrowly, then a slim percentage and falling Windows phone and others.
    Knowing what system to get is the first step. Then pick a phone that has features you need. For a college student I highly encourage you to get a phone that will last 18 hours at a minimum. You'll be on it in classes, between classes, and the rest of the night. You'll be too busy to be tethered to a charger. Aside from that, don't get too caught up in spec wars and bleeding edge screen resolution. Its all for the nerds and will be obsolete in 6 weeks anyways.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by gamefreak715 View Post
    Well in that case, look at which is the best ecosystem for you (not simply apps) and if they are cross compatible. I am fully vested into Googles apps and products. I love the compatibility of everything, calendar, music, search, CHROME(!), mint, drive, all are used on a daily basis and the more I look into the android ecosystem, the more I find it more useful. Apple has their own system, and its fine, just never been a fan of the software design. For cross compatibility, are all your apps available across the board? Think of Kindle Fire tablets- only amazon content. Whereas, Android can install most if not all amazon apps though their app store.
    If you're still not sure, just look at the stocks for what's becoming the leader. Google has the most market share, followed by Apple narrowly, then a slim percentage and falling Windows phone and others.
    Knowing what system to get is the first step. Then pick a phone that has features you need. For a college student I highly encourage you to get a phone that will last 18 hours at a minimum. You'll be on it in classes, between classes, and the rest of the night. You'll be too busy to be tethered to a charger. Aside from that, don't get too caught up in spec wars and bleeding edge screen resolution. Its all for the nerds and will be obsolete in 6 weeks anyways.

The Z30 is coming to Verizon soon, and the Droid Maxx is already available. Both devices are said to have long battery life, which is placed above anything else I want in a smartphone. It's not that the ecosystems or anything is stepping me, it's just I want all the facts laid before me then, I'll go to a Verizon store check them out in person and upgrade.

Frankly, where you aren't invested in either Blackberry or Android yet, I would let that make your decision, and sadly, Blackberry has a questionable future right now. Most likely they will continue to be around in some form, but Android is much, much larger, which will generally mean more support and variety. I found this video comparison of the 4 major phone OS's on the market, maybe it will help a little.

Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

I agree with what YAYTech said. While BB10 is not horrible, with the state that Blackberry is in as a company, and you wanting to keep the device for a while, I would probably not recommend BB10.

The biggest Pro/Con comparison between the two devices is long-term support. Android is well-established and continues to improve. BB10 is still young and its future is unclear. Pros and Cons will come down to the OS, which is discussed in YAYTech's link. I would say the Maxx is going to be the best option for you.

Any particular reason you're considering the Z30?
    gamefreak715 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    I agree with what YAYTech said. While BB10 is not horrible, with the state that Blackberry is in as a company, and you wanting to keep the device for a while, I would probably not recommend BB10.

The biggest Pro/Con comparison between the two devices is long-term support. Android is well-established and continues to improve. BB10 is still young and its future is unclear. Pros and Cons will come down to the OS, which is discussed in YAYTech's link. I would say the Maxx is going to be the best option for you.

Expandable storage and battery life. I have a 16GB Microsd card. The Droid Maxx has enough benefits to forgo the Microsd card. But, I would like to see both of these in person first. The Verizon Z30 sign up page went live today.

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

Let me make this simple, Aaron: The Moto stuff is what sets the Maxx apart. Twist of the wrist and touch the screen and you just took a pic. About as fast as reading that sentence. It listens...so, OK, Google...do...and there's a bunch of stuff you can tell it. Launch an app, send a text, make a call, find directions, get movie times, I keep experimenting. Touch the phone and the time pops up. Yes, it's cool! This is stuff no other phone does. The huge battery is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    Let me make this simple, Aaron: The Moto stuff is what sets the Maxx apart. Twist of the wrist and touch the screen and you just took a pic. About as fast as reading that sentence. It listens...so, OK, Google...do...and there's a bunch of stuff you can tell it. Launch an app, send a text, make a call, find directions, get movie times, I keep experimenting. Touch the phone and the time pops up. Yes, it's cool! This is stuff no other phone does. The huge battery is a plus.
    Yes! All that and the fact that active notifications are simply revolutionary. No need to power up the whole screen to see the time, or see if you have a text. It changes the way we interact with our phones entirely, and in a very good way. I've had it for 6 weeks now and it still blows my mind with every notification. This isn't bloatware, the phone barely had any skinning- its very vanilla android.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

The contextual awareness is cool, but I will probably disable it as I don't do voice controls. I disabled Google search/now a while ago in my Droid Razr M. But it's definitely a cool trick. Way cooler than that siri stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronDeVante View Post
    The contextual awareness is cool, but I will probably disable it as I don't do voice controls. I disabled Google search/now a while ago in my Droid Razr M. But it's definitely a cool trick. Way cooler than that siri stuff.

I never use my Touchless Controls, since most of my day I'm in an office and can't just blurt out something to my phone and am too lazy to talk to it at home, only to pick it up to see if what I said was accurately received.

Have you gotten to play around with a Z10 or a Q10 yet? That may help you determine if BB10 is suitable enough for your uses, prior to the Z30 release.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I never use my Touchless Controls, since most of my day I'm in an office and can't just blurt out something to my phone and am too lazy to talk to it at home, only to pick it up to see if what I said was accurately received.

Have you gotten to play around with a Z10 or a Q10 yet? That may help you determine if BB10 is suitable enough for your uses, prior to the Z30 release.
    I have and he gestures are very intuitive. We press buttons all day on whatever Android phone we have, but on a Z10 you only have to press the volume buttons. Swipe to turn on the screen swipe to get to all your notifications, swipe to get to recent apps. That gesture is cool as heck.

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

I just thought of something, what about long term usage of an android phone by all accounts after a while Android phones slow down after a year or so. I know that. Will the Droid Maxx get guaranteed support after a year? The OG Droid Razr/Maxx are but a distant memory now. At least with Blackberrys I know I will get updates on time come a year from now. Look at the 9900/9930 people still get updates and big fixes on OS 7.1. Like Verizon does as well is discontinuing the old phone once the new comes next year. Then you no longer can get are, screen protector or anything else for your phone from them. This happened with my Droid incredible 2, when the Droid incredible 4GLTE came out.

I just thought of something, what about long term usage of an android phone by all accounts after a while Android phones slow down after a year or so. I know that. Will the Droid Maxx get guaranteed support after a year? The OG Droid Razr/Maxx are but a distant memory now. At least with Blackberrys I know I will get updates on time come a year from now. Look at the 9900/9930 people still get updates and big fixes on OS 7.1. Like Verizon does as well is discontinuing the old phone once the new comes next year. Then you no longer can get are, screen protector or anything else for your phone from them. This happened with my Droid incredible 2, when the Droid incredible 4GLTE came out.
    I am not so sure that Blackberry phones will continue to be updated. Blackberry is not a healthy company, and is up for sale. Who knows what will happen from here?

The Razr/Razr Maxx are both updated to Jellybean. Who knows if they will get KitKat? But I think that Motorola/Verizon has updated those phones well.

As for peripherals, again, who knows? But Zagg still sells skins for the Droid 3 and Droid Bionic and original Droid. I think that there will be third party peripheral support going forward. As for updates, the current management of Motorola insist that they will keep these phones updated; Verizon insists that the Droid line will remain flagship for longer than Droid models have been in the recent past.

Honestly, with the exception of the health of Blackberry as a company, you probably won't go wrong either way. Android will definitely give you a richer choice of third party apps. However, if all the apps that you need are already available for Blackberry, then that phone should be fine, too. For two years? Only time will tell. Past history is no guarantee of future performance. It's a hint, but not a slam-dunk guarantee.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    I am not so sure that Blackberry phones will continue to be updated. Blackberry is not a healthy company, and is up for sale. Who knows what will happen from here?

The Razr/Razr Maxx are both updated to Jellybean. Who knows if they will get KitKat? But I think that Motorola/Verizon has updated those phones well.

As for peripherals, again, who knows? But Zagg still sells skins for the Droid 3 and Droid Bionic and original Droid. I think that there will be third party peripheral support going forward. As for updates, the current management of Motorola insist that they will keep these phones updated; Verizon insists that the Droid line will remain flagship for longer than Droid models have been in the recent past.

Honestly, with the exception of the health of Blackberry as a company, you probably won't go wrong either way. Android will definitely give you a richer choice of third party apps. However, if all the apps that you need are already available for Blackberry, then that phone should be fine, too. For two years? Only time will tell. Past history is no guarantee of future performance. It's a hint, but not a slam-dunk guarantee.
    The thing about Android, is that as soon as you get one device another one with better internals and all the latest comes out not 6 months after you get your device. I have already seen some articles on what the GS5 will have when the GS4 is not 7-8 months old yet. What happens a lot is that if you don't follow tech sites you will not know what's coming up next so you end up regretting your purchases. What I'm trying to say is that I don't want to get the Droid Maxx and have regrets later.

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

That argument doesn't work. Because when you buy your new BB, dozens of new phones are still coming out anyway! You have choice and a super platform that's going to stick. BB I'll say will go the way of Palm. BB folks are smarter, Palm hit their own detonation button, dummies, by aligning with ATT and going Palm OS leaving all of us out in the weeds...and if you're going to learn a new system, why not the one that's taking over? How could they miss that? But that said, BB is in deep weeds and there doesn't look like a lawnmower or 4x4 are coming by.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

That argument doesn't work. Because when you buy your new BB, dozens of new phones are still coming out anyway! You have choice and a super platform that's going to stick. BB I'll say will go the way of Palm. BB folks are smarter, Palm hit their own detonation button, dummies, by aligning with ATT and going Palm OS leaving all of us out in the weeds...and if you're going to learn a new system, why not the one that's taking over? How could they miss that? But that said, BB is in deep weeds and there doesn't look like a lawnmower or 4x4 are coming by.
    Actually no, because the Z30 is the high end lack berry for this year it might be one next year debut for now this is the best blackberry to get. The is no nexus 5 coming to make you regret signing that 2 year contract for your HTC One.

Actually no, because the Z30 is the high end lack berry for this year it might be one next year debut for now this is the best blackberry to get. The is no nexus 5 coming to make you regret signing that 2 year contract for your HTC One.
    There may not be another blackberry (although this will be the third in less than a year, right? Z10, Q10, Z30?), but there will be plenty of other phones with better hardware and different OSes.

But, you sound convinced that the BB is the phone for you. Go for it!

I learned long ago to stop looking at the market for devices after I made a decision on a device of any kind - phone, computer, tablet, car, appliance, whatever. There will always be something better. But that always means that I'll find something better when it's time to upgrade the device. There is no point in having regrets. Either something is worth what you pay for it today, or it's not.

I would opt for the Maxx. I like Blackberry, just left a Z10 for the Note 3. College you will need to access online bulletin boards/apps for your specific school/ class. I'm fairly certain that you will have a headache trying to do this on BB right now. The others are right in saying BB is in a precarious position financially right now as well. Good luck

Sent from my iPad
    Have you tried SEARCH today? LPCZI9G4

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

And this is the Maxx section...so if you'd rather bank on an HTC or Nexus, that's a whole 'nuther matter. But Moto still has the best radios (it is still a radio/phone) and with their new features...I don't see anyone doing something similar anytime soon. Besides, who cares? In two years, time for another. When you buy the top, you don't have to look over your shoulder. Contentment is a good thing to hold onto.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast