Your thoughts? Is the Maxx still worth it with it's build issues?

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I was torn between the Note 3 and the Maxx due to price. Now that you can get the Maxx cheaper, I am going in that direction. The only thing that seems to bother me is build quality. I'm seeing muliple threads between here and XDA saying that the phone is creaky; or gets creaky with everyday use. I'm also seeing dead microphones.

At this point, I have not seen the Moto X with these issues, unless I'm missing the posts. For the same price, I would love the extra battery life and storage space.

I'm coming from a Note 2 and I was intrigued with the Note 3, but signal issues seem to plague it.

Any help is appreciated!

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I have not had any build issues with my Maxx, and if I did, I would exchange and get one without build issues. No squeaking, not creaking, no microphone issues. That is not to say others have had these experiences, but I am sure the Note 3 also has some QC issues. If you need a giant phone, the Note 3 is for you. If not, the Maxx is a great alternative.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I really like my maxx. I would say yes. It's well worth it. I have a hard time draining the battery completely. I'm off the charge at 5am. It's about 5pm pacific time and I'm at 60%

53N7 FR0M M4 DMAXX V1A 7A9A7A7K

Busted51

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
i only saw the one case of microphone going out and i think the person submerged the phone in water.. The creeky is also subjective, Ive had my maxx since release day and no problems, no case or screen protector and its perfect..

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine has been rock solid since launch, rocking it naked too...

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I was torn between the Note 3 and the Maxx due to price. Now that you can get the Maxx cheaper, I am going in that direction. The only thing that seems to bother me is build quality. I'm seeing muliple threads between here and XDA saying that the phone is creaky; or gets creaky with everyday use. I'm also seeing dead microphones.

At this point, I have not seen the Moto X with these issues, unless I'm missing the posts. For the same price, I would love the extra battery life and storage space.

I'm coming from a Note 2 and I was intrigued with the Note 3, but signal issues seem to plague it.

Any help is appreciated!

you can go to any forum for any phone and see a bunch of people with build quality issues. Just wait to see what kinda of issue crop up with the Note 3 and decide which sounds worse.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been rock solid since launch, rocking it naked too...

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

None of those issues on mine. I also am caseless and without a screen protector.

Sent from my Droid Maxx.

i only saw the one case of microphone going out and i think the person submerged the phone in water.. The creeky is also subjective, Ive had my maxx since release day and no problems, no case or screen protector and its perfect..

I have not had any build issues with my Maxx, and if I did, I would exchange and get one without build issues. No squeaking, not creaking, no microphone issues. That is not to say others have had these experiences, but I am sure the Note 3 also has some QC issues. If you need a giant phone, the Note 3 is for you. If not, the Maxx is a great alternative.

Unfair. All 3 of mine have creaked or squeaked. The first one did it right out the box so I switched it out. The second one was fine for 2 months or so and then got real bad. The replacement has movement but nothing to bad so I'm leaving it alone unless it gets worse. How hard is it to make a quality phone with a great build? Ah well, glad none of you are having any sort of issues.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk Pro

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Remember, people with issues are more likely to talk about them.

Posted via Android Central App

adamjeeps

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Maxx for over a month. I have squeezed and pushed every which way on it to make it squeak and it won't make a peep. Go to the store and test out the phone you buy before leaving.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I have had my Maxx for over a month. I have squeezed and pushed every which way on it to make it squeak and it won't make a peep. Go to the store and test out the phone you buy before leaving.

I understand what you're saying but it's hard to base your decision on a device that gets handled by countless people on a daily basis. Don't know what it's been through and such. It's very difficult to make a confident decision based on a few minutes of hands on time

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Unfair. All 3 of mine have creaked or squeaked. The first one did it right out the box so I switched it out. The second one was fine for 2 months or so and then got real bad. The replacement has movement but nothing to bad so I'm leaving it alone unless it gets worse. How hard is it to make a quality phone with a great build? Ah well, glad none of you are having any sort of issues.

Do you keep your phone in your back pocket or wear skinny jeans? Perhaps your are putting unnecessary stress on the phone? Just a thought.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
No issues on my Maxx. Perfect so far and it doesn't seem like its changing anytime soon. I was going for note 3 but that phone DOES have a lot of issues. This one none. Maxx all the way!

Sent From My Droid Maxx

jamontoast1291

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Build quality on this phone is better than my Gnex, Incredible (epitome of squeaky/creaky), and comparable to the indestructible OG. If this phone were up against anything, especially a samsung phone, in terms of build quality I don't think it could be beat.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Do you keep your phone in your back pocket or wear skinny jeans? Perhaps your are putting unnecessary stress on the phone? Just a thought.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Nope, front pocket and definitely nog skinny jeans. No big deal though.

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had no issues with my Maxx. I have it in a case. I've had it for 13 days and I've really enjoyed it so far. I have no complaints. It's definitely worth the $199 that I paid for it. The more I use it, the more I like it. I was also originally debating between the Note 3 and the Maxx. The price drop is what made me settle on the Maxx. I still have one more day to decide if I want to take it back and swap it for a Note 3 or some other phone, but I'll probably keep it. I really like the Maxx and haven't been convinced that any other phone would be better for me.

P.S. Don't worry about the camera. It's suppose to get upgraded soon.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I haven't Experienced any problems with the camera. Not that I've personally noticed. I remember the maxx HD and it's camera issue. Which was horrible. What's going on with the current camera software?

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I haven't Experienced any problems with the camera. Not that I've personally noticed. I remember the maxx HD and it's camera issue. Which was horrible. What's going on with the current camera software?

Some people say the camera isn't too good on the Maxx. I don't have any issues either, but I just wanted to make sure this person knows that there is a fix out there.