Nexus 5 is out, still glad I have my MAXX

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
For anyone not aware yet, Google has finally announced the Nexus 5: Nexus 5 - Google

It looks like a great phone, and a killer deal for the price, but I'm still happy to have my Droid MAXX, mainly due to the always listening features and the huge battery. If I'd had to pay full price for my MAXX, then I might be less happy, but am glad I was able to get a workaround to pay contract price & keep my unlimited data.

Now cue the threads where everyone starts clamoring for KitKat on the MAXX! :D

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Will the nexus 5 release on Verizon? The maxx is pretty darn close to aosp. So I don't think I would jump ship to the N5

53N7 FR0M M4 DMAXX V1A 7A9A7A7K

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Will the nexus 5 release on Verizon? The maxx is pretty darn close to aosp. So I don't think I would jump ship to the N5

The Nexus 5 doesn't support Band 13 LTE. Therefore, its safe to say that Verizon will not support this device.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

No, but Google says that they are working on "other projects" that will release on Verizon in 2014. My guess is tablets...

I'm happy with the Maxx. I bought this phone for the battery and close to stock build. It still has both. And it's getting KitKat - eventually.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Part of me wishes Verizon had the nexus. But, I'm satisfied enough with this phone/network that I'm not that upset by it.

I wonder if goggles own touch less controls will be better than moto? Rumor was you can set the trigger phrase to anything.

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Part of me wishes Verizon had the nexus. But, I'm satisfied enough with this phone/network that I'm not that upset by it.

I wonder if goggles own touch less controls will be better than moto? Rumor was you can set the trigger phrase to anything.

From what I'm seeing, it's not true touchless controls like the Moto lineup - the screen has to be on. Not sure, waiting to hear more, but one thing I saw on a Google spec page said something like "just say 'ok google' while in Google Now or the home screen". Doesn't sound like always listening to me.

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
2300mah with a large screen. EFF THAT!

Android 4.4 will probably be more efficient due to the new processing coding and stuff. I mean, it gets 17 hours of talk time. That's longer than a Galaxy S 4

Sent from Samsung Z1 GPE on T-Mobile

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I really wanted a Maxx last March when I was phone-looking for the first time but I didn't know back then it was only on Verizon. I didn't get one obviously but it's still a cool phone I'd buy if I could, and didn't have to sign with Verizon. For me prepaid is the only way after I finish with Sprint. Anyway, your Maxx is still a great phone.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I really wanted a Maxx last March when I was phone-looking for the first time but I didn't know back then it was only on Verizon. I didn't get one obviously but it's still a cool phone I'd buy if I could, and didn't have to sign with Verizon. For me prepaid is the only way after I finish with Sprint. Anyway, your Maxx is still a great phone.

It wasn't out in March. The Droid Maxx came out in August. Maybe you are thinking of the Razr Maxx.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I am, indeed. :D Sorry about the mixup. But I'm sure the Droid Maxx is super too.

It's been rock solid for me. I'm very happy with it. It's too bad that other manufacturers haven't adopted the common sense of creating a device with a battery similar to the maxx. What I'm saying is I don't understand why they haven't. It's a bit of a no brainer.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree! Also I think they should all make openable battery cases and microSD slots. If they all had openable cases and replaceable batteries the phones would last much longer. I guess the carriers wouldn't like that since they keep people signing new contracts to get a new device.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 5 doesn't support Band 13 LTE. Therefore, its safe to say that Verizon will not support this device.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro

And this is the primary reason I bought a MAXX and know that it was the right choice for me. I'd rather have a Nexus, but I am on Verizon. Until the full switch to LTE and VOLTE, VZW will not get a Nexus.

That said, I love the MAXX battery life and active notifications. I am not sure at this point that I would buy a Nexus over the MAXX, even if it was on VZW. Battery life in particular has change the way I use my phone. I absolutely love not worrying about having the power to make it through the day, no matter where I am or how hard I use the device.