DROID maxx GSM LTE

lucasvictor

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys
I am brand spanking new to android OS. I have always had the latest iPhone models but got tired of the same old same old stuff so decided to give android a try. When nexus 5 was launched I went ahead and bought a 32 gb model. Love pretty much everything about the phone except the battery life and the display. I am still in a contract with AT&T. Besides I have one of those earlier grandfathered unlimited plans so I can't leave AT&T. I was thinking about switching to the GSM version of DROID maxx but can't get a good info on whether it will work on AT&T Lte. I have read somewhere (perhaps somewhere on these forums that it is only HSPA+compatible. Could one of you please tell me what to expect?
Thanks a lot

Posted via Android Central App

bhameyedoc

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I have used an AT&T GoPhone SIM in my MAXX. You don't get LTE; you do get HSPA+, which can still be pretty good depending on where you are located.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
To clarify - there is no "GSM Version" of the Maxx. It apparently comes "unlocked" with respect to GSM, but as others have said. I have not tried a GSM SIM card myself, so I cannot verify this first hand.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
When I put my T-Mobile prepaid sim into the maxx I only get edge. On the nexus 4 and 5 I have, I get excellent HSPA+ coverage. Are there certain settings I'd need to change to get it to pick up the faster networks?

Sent from my DROID MAXX

tyd450

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
probably obvious but did you change the preferred network mode? The 3 options I see are LTE/CDMA (verizon), Global and also LTE/GSM/UMTS.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
probably obvious but did you change the preferred network mode? The 3 options I see are LTE/CDMA (verizon), Global and also LTE/GSM/UMTS.

I tried it in both global and LTE/GSM mode and it was edge in both.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

lucasvictor

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
So if you set it to LTE/GSM/UMTS, will you still get HSPA+ speeds? I don't want to buy a new phone off contract paying full price only to use it on HSPA+.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Not true. T-Mobile's LTE works. BUT, it requires you to update the Maxx to the latest software version that was released a couple of days ago.

Did you have to do any tricks to get those speeds or just pop the sim in? My prepaid T-Mobile sim only gets edge speeds and I live in a solid area.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Is it confirmed that the latest update unlocked those bands for AWS?

Confirmed. Please read the full change log for details. Yes, it will work in T-Mobile's 4G LTE network. However, T-Mobile doesn't support the device. Band 4 unlocks T-Mobile's network. It has been confirmed by screenshot, but don't have it on me.

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=791550

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Confirmed. Please read the full change log for details. Yes, it will work in T-Mobile's 4G LTE network. However, T-Mobile doesn't support the device. Band 4 unlocks T-Mobile's network. It has been confirmed by screenshot, but don't have it on me.

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=791550

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro

Interesting. I must have glossed over the "faster connection" bullet point mentioned when I first read over the change log.

tyd450

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I got one of the free t mobile nano sims when they had the free offer a few weeks ago and out of curiosity I just signed up for the $30 unlimited data/text w/ 100 min prepaid plan to compare with verizon. I switched my settings over to LTE/GSM/UMTS and I can confirm I am getting 4G LTE with Tmobile. I ran a speedtest.net test and with verizon LTE I was at 6.8 mbps down and 2.65 mbps up. With Tmobile I pulled in 17.04 mbps down and 4.9 mbps up. Interesting to say the least. I am in the western suburbs of Chicago FYI.

tyd450

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying I am switching over to Tmobile for good but it is definitely nice to have options for once!

I got one of the free t mobile nano sims when they had the free offer a few weeks ago and out of curiosity I just signed up for the $30 unlimited data/text w/ 100 min prepaid plan to compare with verizon. I switched my settings over to LTE/GSM/UMTS and I can confirm I am getting 4G LTE with Tmobile. I ran a speedtest.net test and with verizon LTE I was at 6.8 mbps down and 2.65 mbps up. With Tmobile I pulled in 17.04 mbps down and 4.9 mbps up. Interesting to say the least. I am in the western suburbs of Chicago FYI.

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
hi i was wondering if you have any screenshots of t-mobile working on LTE when i used it last after the update i only got edge speeds do i need to be in a t-mobile reframed area im in a lte area but not in a reframed area.

tyd450

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
How do you know if your area is reframed or not?

All I know is that I popped in the Sim, switched my network mode to LTE/GSM/UMTS and it picked up 4G LTE

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
im not quite sure i was only getting edge so im guessing that i might not be in a reframed area but hey when you dont get LTE do you drop to edge of 4g hspa+