Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Hey guys
    I am brand spanking new to android OS. I have always had the latest iPhone models but got tired of the same old same old stuff so decided to give android a try. When nexus 5 was launched I went ahead and bought a 32 gb model. Love pretty much everything about the phone except the battery life and the display. I am still in a contract with AT&T. Besides I have one of those earlier grandfathered unlimited plans so I can't leave AT&T. I was thinking about switching to the GSM version of DROID maxx but can't get a good info on whether it will work on AT&T Lte. I have read somewhere (perhaps somewhere on these forums that it is only HSPA+compatible. Could one of you please tell me what to expect?
    Thanks a lot

Posted via Android Central App
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: DROID maxx GSM LTE

I should have mentioned that I am planning on buying this phone off contact.

I have used an AT&T GoPhone SIM in my MAXX. You don't get LTE; you do get HSPA+, which can still be pretty good depending on where you are located.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

To clarify - there is no "GSM Version" of the Maxx. It apparently comes "unlocked" with respect to GSM, but as others have said. I have not tried a GSM SIM card myself, so I cannot verify this first hand.
    Ry likes this.

When I put my T-Mobile prepaid sim into the maxx I only get edge. On the nexus 4 and 5 I have, I get excellent HSPA+ coverage. Are there certain settings I'd need to change to get it to pick up the faster networks?

Sent from my DROID MAXX

probably obvious but did you change the preferred network mode? The 3 options I see are LTE/CDMA (verizon), Global and also LTE/GSM/UMTS.

Quote Originally Posted by tyd450 View Post
    probably obvious but did you change the preferred network mode? The 3 options I see are LTE/CDMA (verizon), Global and also LTE/GSM/UMTS.
    I tried it in both global and LTE/GSM mode and it was edge in both.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

So if you set it to LTE/GSM/UMTS, will you still get HSPA+ speeds? I don't want to buy a new phone off contract paying full price only to use it on HSPA+.

i tried using a straight talk (AT&T) sim in my droid maxx and i only get HSPA+ i am in an LTE area DROID maxx GSM LTE-screenshot_2013-11-10-13-32-42.pngDROID maxx GSM LTE-screenshot_2013-11-10-13-35-03.pngDROID maxx GSM LTE-screenshot_2013-11-10-13-35-29.pngDROID maxx GSM LTE-img_20131110_130848142.jpg

@lucasvictor: You will not get any non-Verizon LTE with this phone, only HSPA+

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Quote Originally Posted by bhameyedoc View Post
    @lucasvictor: You will not get any non-Verizon LTE with this phone, only HSPA+
    Not true. T-Mobile's LTE works. BUT, it requires you to update the Maxx to the latest software version that was released a couple of days ago.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

Quote Originally Posted by SeigaGen View Post
    Not true. T-Mobile's LTE works. BUT, it requires you to update the Maxx to the latest software version that was released a couple of days ago.
    Did you have to do any tricks to get those speeds or just pop the sim in? My prepaid T-Mobile sim only gets edge speeds and I live in a solid area.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

Is it confirmed that the latest update unlocked those bands for AWS?

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    Is it confirmed that the latest update unlocked those bands for AWS?
    Confirmed. Please read the full change log for details. Yes, it will work in T-Mobile's 4G LTE network. However, T-Mobile doesn't support the device. Band 4 unlocks T-Mobile's network. It has been confirmed by screenshot, but don't have it on me.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

Confirmed. Please read the full change log for details. Yes, it will work in T-Mobile's 4G LTE network. However, T-Mobile doesn't support the device. Band 4 unlocks T-Mobile's network. It has been confirmed by screenshot, but don't have it on me.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro
    Interesting. I must have glossed over the "faster connection" bullet point mentioned when I first read over the change log.

I got one of the free t mobile nano sims when they had the free offer a few weeks ago and out of curiosity I just signed up for the $30 unlimited data/text w/ 100 min prepaid plan to compare with verizon. I switched my settings over to LTE/GSM/UMTS and I can confirm I am getting 4G LTE with Tmobile. I ran a speedtest.net test and with verizon LTE I was at 6.8 mbps down and 2.65 mbps up. With Tmobile I pulled in 17.04 mbps down and 4.9 mbps up. Interesting to say the least. I am in the western suburbs of Chicago FYI.

I'm not saying I am switching over to Tmobile for good but it is definitely nice to have options for once!

I got one of the free t mobile nano sims when they had the free offer a few weeks ago and out of curiosity I just signed up for the $30 unlimited data/text w/ 100 min prepaid plan to compare with verizon. I switched my settings over to LTE/GSM/UMTS and I can confirm I am getting 4G LTE with Tmobile. I ran a speedtest.net test and with verizon LTE I was at 6.8 mbps down and 2.65 mbps up. With Tmobile I pulled in 17.04 mbps down and 4.9 mbps up. Interesting to say the least. I am in the western suburbs of Chicago FYI.

hi i was wondering if you have any screenshots of t-mobile working on LTE when i used it last after the update i only got edge speeds do i need to be in a t-mobile reframed area im in a lte area but not in a reframed area.

How do you know if your area is reframed or not?

All I know is that I popped in the Sim, switched my network mode to LTE/GSM/UMTS and it picked up 4G LTE

im not quite sure i was only getting edge so im guessing that i might not be in a reframed area but hey when you dont get LTE do you drop to edge of 4g hspa+

It drops from LTE to hspa+

brian7751 likes this.

Alright, I am thinking of going over to tmobile. Is 4g lte confirmed?
    Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?

Quote Originally Posted by brian7751 View Post
    hi i was wondering if you have any screenshots of t-mobile working on LTE when i used it last after the update i only got edge speeds do i need to be in a t-mobile reframed area im in a lte area but not in a reframed area.

I live in central Mass and I am only getting edge speeds with tmobile so far
    Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?
    Thanked by:
    brian7751 likes this.

If given time my maxx can latch onto H+ but it seems to have a tough time holding on to the signal even in town when moving around. It defaults back to edge quickly.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

I've been having a lot of trouble keeping my Maxx tied to T-Mobile's H+ signal. It frequently drops all data and, even though I can call and text, completely stops transmitting data for extended periods.

Could it be an APN that needs to be added?

Addition: so far, switching the network mode from global to LTE and back refreshes the connection. Not a great fix, but it's helping.
    Last edited by Reciprocal; 12-06-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast