Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Motorola Droid MAXX - Finicky light sensor and screen brightness behavior

Does anybody who keeps their screen on Auto Brightness (at least prior to the update) find that the screen changes in brightness rather abruptly if held awake when the ambient lighting fluctuates around you?

I use Lux now and find it much improved, but I do feel like my battery discharges a little bit faster, probably because the overall brightness is a little bit higher than what it would be with the native auto-brightness setting.

Even though I am happy with using the Lux app, I was just curious to know if anybody noticed this sort of erratic behavior, or if maybe it was an issue with my phone? And also whether anyone who keeps their phone on the auto-brightness setting, who noticed this before, has seen any improvement on this front?

Default Re: Motorola Droid MAXX - Finicky light sensor and screen brightness behavior

I never found auto brightness on any phone to work flawlessly, the maxx included. I haven't seen my maxx change auto brightness while using it though, it seems to change auto brightness most on wake, then stays that brightness until it sleeps or sits idle for a period of time.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Motorola Droid MAXX - Finicky light sensor and screen brightness behavior

Interesting. Mine definitely changed a lot while awake, almost sputtering.

Lux seemed to help significantly if not alleviate the issue altogether.

Since the update, I briefly turned off Lux and tested the auto brightness setting and I didn't notice this issue reoccurring, however I ended up switching back to Lux anyways because when I'm outdoors in heavy light, it seems to adjust more effectively.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by beeare View Post
    Does anybody who keeps their screen on Auto Brightness (at least prior to the update) find that the screen changes in brightness rather abruptly if held awake when the ambient lighting fluctuates around you?
    I think I've seen that happen still post-update. It happens more indoors, in lower light rather than brighter light situations. I'm used to it by now. I don't use my phone all that much in bright sunlight (though that may change next summer; I've had the phone only basically this fall.)

Beeare,
    I have noticed this happening if the room around me is dark and i have a lamp on. It will be dim to begin with, i move and it would brighten up, constantly. I did not notice this before the update. I do have the same issue as OP.

R.K.

Yep. I had it also. Drove me nuts.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

So I really good want to install Lux cause the stock auto dimming is driving me nuts...I need someone to talk me off the privacy fence...most things I get but does anyone know why a brightness app would need to know the phone numbers I dial and receive...it this a typical permission? Thanks

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by P-raggles View Post
    So I really good want to install Lux cause the stock auto dimming is driving me nuts...I need someone to talk me off the privacy fence...most things I get but does anyone know why a brightness app would need to know the phone numbers I dial and receive...it this a typical permission? Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes these "permissions" are nothing more than just obligatory legal mumbo-jumbo in my eyes. If it was that legit of an issue, I'm sure there'd be a major fuss about it and AC or a related site would have a story on it. So go ahead and install it and enjoy it. Lux is great. Easily has saved 10 percent of my battery usage (because in my gung-ho workout mode, MapMyRun, Google Play music from my personal collection, GPS, etc., has increased my phone use a LOT, so this 10 percent helps), and I've installed it on the Maxxes that my wife and mother-in-law own.
    P-raggles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by P-raggles View Post
    The reasons for the required permissions are listed right in the Play Store listing.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.vito.lux

TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEOS: Used to read in luma values if camera input is selected.
    DRAW OVER OTHER APPS: Required for night/astro mode.
    READ PHONE STATE: Required to prevent Lux from interfering with phone controls in Android 4.1.
    MODIFY SYSTEM SETTINGS: Brightness is a system setting, as is toggling the default auto brightness.
    RETRIEVE RUNNING APPS: Required to make the 'sleep list' functionality work, so Lux can disable itself when certain apps are in the foreground.
    COARSE LOCATION: Required to automatically calculate sunrise/sunset times.